to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

Thanks for getting back to me Sean.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to bisk6

to bisk6
@bisk - Looks like it'll be early next year, as the billing system needs to be converted from the old Mountain Cable installation. There are several technical obstacles we're facing as well, so we appreciate your patience during this conversion.
bisk6
join:2002-06-15
Binbrook, ON

bisk6 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
said by ShawSean:

@bisk - I'm making some inquiries so I can hopefully shed more light on what's happening in Hamilton.

Any updates on the situation in Hamilton? I'd really like to know why it's taking so long for them to completely integrate with Shaw and when we might expect to finally be able get the Gateways.

Thanks

Laird
@shawcable.net

Laird to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
Everything has returned to normal, appears it was a pretty wide spread network outage. Thanks at least making the attempt at customer service.:)

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

@glombica - Pm me your details and the best time to reach you and we'll investigate the issue.

@crazyea - I agree, also send me your account details and best time to connect.

@Laird - Like the others above you, please pm me.

@cslusarc - The phone hold times are something we're very aware of and working hard towards lowering. As for the programming situation you described, i'm not sure if it was an error, but I do apologize for the programming interruption. If something like this happens again, please pm me closer to the date it occurred and i'll investigate further.

@nidx - please pm me w/ your details and best time to contact you.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to nidx

Premium Member

to nidx
I was thinking, this may be one of the main reasons 250 isn't available everywhere the other DOCSIS 3 plans are.

nidx
@icomproductions.ca

nidx to crazyea

Anon

to crazyea
said by crazyea:

Ok, So I dont mind if on occasion my speed dips 20%, maybe even 30% in primetime, but man, I am paying for 100mb.

There is absolutely no excuse for these speeds.

When i started out I was getting 96mbps on a consistent basis. 80mbps in primetime.

I can really tell my connection has degraded. I have rebooted my pc, rebooted the router. This nonsense continues. It is not my pc either. I am getting less than two mbps on usenet. I dont use bitorrent.

Can you look into this?

I am having the same time of day issues.

I have BB100 and had Warp (the old 100Mb package) for almost a year before that. Back when Warp was ~$150 a month I could at any time of day max out at 10-12MB/s, but now with BB100 I average about 6-7MB/s during your average evening going to as low as 1-1.3MB/s on Saturday night when downloading a 43GB download from multiple servers (would not go higher).

I am very interested in going with BB250 when it becomes available in Downtown Calgary but if this is any example I don't know if it would be any faster.

Any advice on how to get the speed I pay for?
cslusarc
join:2011-08-14
Winnipeg, MB

cslusarc to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hello,

I'm a Shaw customer in Winnipeg. On Tuesday October 11th, Shaw pre-empted NCIS: Los Angeles and Parenthood on the CBS and NBC feeds from Spokane between 11pm-1am CDT with assorted programming from Global Winnipeg (CKND) including local new and the Late Late Show. I think that this was a error on Shaw's part by not deleting a one time simcast that Global Winnipeg made on the Tuesday October 4th because of the Manitoba provincial election. I was very pissed that I lost my viewing opportunity to see these shows in HDTV on their originating US networks. I was wondering if this error will happen again. I tried calling your 24-7 video technical support line but after about an hour on hold I gave up. Why do most other call centres try to answer 95% of their calls within 180 seconds in queue but Shaw has been chronically failing this metric for the last year.

Laird
@shawcable.net

Laird to crazyea

Anon

to crazyea
Hi Sean,

My extreme service has been pretty great till the last few days, normally I get about 22-23mb/down and 2.25/up. I live in Vancouver and I know when this occasional problem happens it is always a problem with the load balancer in my neighborhood. I had a trouble ticket with this issue given to me to refer to when this issue happens again. I have been trying for days to get through via chat or phone to no success, the one time I did the CSR read from the script and when I told him that I had done all that and to please refer to the TT he just hung up on me. This happens about every six months in my area is there anything you can do to tell me it was just the network outage or actually the load balancer again?

crazyea
join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC

crazyea to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Click for full size
Ok, So I dont mind if on occasion my speed dips 20%, maybe even 30% in primetime, but man, I am paying for 100mb.

There is absolutely no excuse for these speeds.

When i started out I was getting 96mbps on a consistent basis. 80mbps in primetime.

I can really tell my connection has degraded. I have rebooted my pc, rebooted the router. This nonsense continues. It is not my pc either. I am getting less than two mbps on usenet. I dont use bitorrent.

Can you look into this?
glombica
join:2011-10-16
t6t0n3

glombica to ShawSean

to ShawSean
id say yes. i mean during the day i'm at work.. but early mornings and early evenings are ok.. just around 7 the world stops... i've lost connection a couple times too... i wish telus had optic here

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to glombica

Premium Member

to glombica
Does your speed fluxuate depending on the time of day?
glombica
join:2011-10-16
t6t0n3

glombica to ShawSean

to ShawSean
hi Sean,

as i dont want to wait between "2 and 3 hours and 1 min" and chat just sits there..... i thought maybe you could help me out

i'm in an residential area thats not more than 2 years old and yet it seems like the node is saturated. i'm on extreme but i can't get more than 2 Mbps ... either on the shaw speedtest site or on speedtest.net tried resetting the modem, bypassed the router and connected right thru to the modem and still nothing. its been like this for about a week

How on earth does shaw F up a node in a new area in just 2 years... i mean come on..where is the planning??
sgwaddict
join:2011-10-14
West Vancouver, BC

sgwaddict to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Thank you very much, Sean. Scott did call and we ran some tests. A tech's coming out on Thursday to check out the modem.

Thank you (and to Scott)... for hearing me and for the peace of mind that gave me.

Have a great weekend! ^^
afatgoat
join:2011-10-13
Fort St John, BC

afatgoat to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Someone called. I ran the same tests that I did with the first tech. Someone's coming out on monday to check it out. Thanks for the help Sean.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Thanks for testing. Did Scott get in touch with you?
sgwaddict
join:2011-10-14
West Vancouver, BC

sgwaddict to ShawSean

to ShawSean
All right, Sean. I'm unable to upload attachments, so here's my speedtest result w my laptop directly connected to the modem:
Ping - 22 ms, Quality - Excellent
DL speed - 4.58
UL speed - 0.85

Was trying to dl a 300mb file. Speed was a mere 5 kbps after an hour an half of 20+ kbps. I gave up.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

2 edits

ShawSean

@bisk - I'm making some inquiries so I can hopefully shed more light on what's happening in Hamilton.

@pkarlos - I just heard they received a shipment (10450 178 ST) and if you want I can get them to put one aside for you in retail, just pm me your details. As for the $50 sale price, that promotion ended Sept 1st I believe and they're currently at the regular $100 price point.

If you do go in, make sure you let the rep know in retail you called to confirm about the stock.

@afatgoat - Are you able to bypass the splitter completely? and just plug the modem temporarily so you can test without it?

You definitely don't want to use the gold splitter, I really don't know why they make them to be honest. I do commend you on trying to troubleshoot yourself though, nicely done.

If you're unable to test directly, please pm me your contact info and the best time to contact you and we'll be in touch asap.

@sgwaddict - Send me your account details and the best time to reach you. Also, can you do a few speedtests directly connected to the modem and post your results?

sgwaddict
@shawcable.net

sgwaddict to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
Hey Sean.

Hope you get better soon. Not fun being sick AND having to deal with all our issues with Shaw. So, I do appreciate that you care enough to let us know you'll get back to us.

This is not directed at you but at management and their policies at Shaw:
Whatever Shaw is doing, please resolve it asap.

And please don't treat me like I'm an idiot and hand me off to nowhereland. Shaw, be honest. Let me know why I'm not getting the service I'm paying for. Why my downloads are down to 20 kbps 24 hrs a day... or stalled, even at 2am? Lucky if I even hit 100 kbps when I've paid for Extreme. Seriously, am I paying to deprive myself??? Moreover, am I also paying to disempower myself because that's what Shaw is doing to its customers.

I'd really like to remain loyal but can only take so much.

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Get well first!!

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Hey guys,

I was and still am pretty ill, sorry for no responses yesterday. I'll do my best to get things answered by this afternoon.

Cheers.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to EastVanIan

Premium Member

to EastVanIan
@EastVanIan

Page 2 of your bill, mine is now fixed, so I can copy and paste,

Promotions
Business Internet 50 Promotion (expires 29-Feb-12) -40.00
Total Promotions $-40.00

It is there, I am not sure what you use to look at your bill, or how you see your bill, but it is there.

RGMystro
@mountaincable.net

RGMystro to afatgoat

Anon

to afatgoat
hey afatgoat,

a gold splitter will not cut it.. it has to be a 2.4gighz one or a 5gighz one as the speed of internet is faster then tv signal... you'll burn out that gold one fast :P and it will also make your speed slow too.. but I would send in your info to shawsean and have a techie come out and do a signal test on your line :P...

sgwaddict
@shawcable.net

sgwaddict to afatgoat

Anon

to afatgoat
I have the same issue as you, afatgoat, and I pay for extreme as well. My internet speed is agonizingly slow. As for talking to Shaw, I never even got through to technical support.

Sean. I live in the Vancouver area and would like to know what's going on and when we can expect whatever this is to be resolved.

Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
afatgoat
Fort St John, BC

afatgoat to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
Tech said it might be the issue. It's a week and a half wait for a callout. I figure i'd spend the 10$ and see if it was. I can always return it.

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to afatgoat

to afatgoat
A gold splitter ain't gonna do anything to solve your problems, problem solving with technology is not always simple, you sound like you need a service call from a tech. Kudos for at least trying!
afatgoat
Fort St John, BC

afatgoat to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hi Shawn.

I'm in the Fort St John area. I've been getting much slower then advertised speeds for the last week and a bit. I pay for extreme. The average speed using speedtest.net and shawspeedtest is around 3-5mb down and 1 and change going up, testing with my router and router bypassed.

I talked to technical support on Tuesday. The problem is still going on, They had me unplug the coaxial, unplug my router and modem, restart my computer, try speed testing from safemode with network. I think they may have reset my modem as well. They suggested my splitter was the problem, I replaced it today with a gold plated one. Still no luck.

Phone wait time is greater then 4 hours, the online customer service option through the site always yields an error (Error Id: -1031098854 ) and no one has replied to my emails.

Is there a problem going on at shaw or is there a technical blankout for the area and if so, when can I expect it to get resolved?

Thanks.
-max
bisk6
join:2002-06-15
Binbrook, ON

bisk6 to RGMystro

to RGMystro
Thanks for the info RGMystro. Yes, I've converted to a Shaw account; I have a Personalizer plan. I can't believe we have to wait nearly a year after the west got the Gateway.

RGMystro
@mountaincable.net

RGMystro to bisk6

Anon

to bisk6
bink, also if your still with the old system with mountaincable.. you'll have to go in to the mountain office and update to a shaw account.. better then waiting on the phone and waiting like 2 or 3 hours
RGMystro

RGMystro to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
bink, Shaw Hamilton will not be getting gateway for a while.. I was talking to a tech that came by my place about it.. they still have to work out the bugs with the SPP50 and stuff like that first.. and apparently it will be a 3 hour install or less for the Gateway.. heard some time in spring or summer we will be getting it