uniqs
Mayhem17
join:2012-02-26
Salmon Arm, BC

Mayhem17 to ShawSean

to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep

Hi Alex,

Are you aware of any server upgrades or maintenance in the Salmon Arm area?

In the last 5 days or so, at random times I will get severe internet lag for 5-30mins (sometimes longer). I've also lost internet completely for an ~hour at a time the past couple nights.

As of right now, webpages take 20 seconds before anything shows up - when usually it's quite instant. I'm on the BB100 plan.

Any ideas what the issue could be?
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to kevinds

to kevinds
how do u know this, i posted in this thread cause i was looking for a 100% accurate answer from a rep and when i called yesterday they tried to make my think it wasnt possible, even tho i kno that 5 up is available to me because the bb100 is available in my area

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Experience, I know different people who have BB50, some have 5 up some have 3 up.

I don't know why it happens.

Business 50 has 5 up everywhere though (if you have TV service with residental BB50, the price isn't much different and sometimes cheaper)
Expand your moderator at work

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep
join:2010-12-16

Shaw_Alex to Mayhem17

to Mayhem17

Re: [ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep

Hi Mayhem,

What sort of results do you get when you run a speed test?
Run a test at speedtest.shaw.ca and post your results.

Since it's intermittent, run a test when the problem is occurring, and when it seems okay.

If you lose internet connection, check the "Online" light on your modem. If it's not online, then it is something on our end.

I'm not familiar with anything going on in Salmon Arm, but if you send me a private message with your account number or street address, I can check it out.
Shaw_Alex

Shaw_Alex to 18286719

to 18286719
If you send me a message with your account number and address; I can take a look at your modem and see what package you are on, and what upload speeds are available for you.

It really depends on the area, and if a DNU upgrade has taken place.

Cheers.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

But places where the DNU hasn't happened yet, have 5 upload.

And the upload speed, isn't affected by DNU (to the best of my knowledge - looking for any information I can use to correct myself), modems stop at 108 MHz for transmitting, the DNU analog stations are much higher than that.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

thank you for these facts kevinds i appreciate it
Mayhem17
join:2012-02-26
Salmon Arm, BC

Mayhem17 to Shaw_Alex

to Shaw_Alex
Hi Alex,

Sorry I forgot to edit my post. I called tech support and they said there is an issue with my cable line (signal levels are all over the place).

They have someone coming here tomorrow to fix the issue.

Thanks!

AnotherOne
@shawcable.net

AnotherOne to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
Telus and Rogers provide IMAP for email, why don't you???
shawuser3
join:2010-10-15
Vancouver, BC

shawuser3 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Click for full size
After upgrading from BB50 to BB100, latency has become terrible. Packet loss even pinging to my first hop default gateway.
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen

What is the configuration on Fa0/0?

Also, don't expect reaching the full 100mb/s when you only have a 100mb/s port on your router connecting to the modem. (But you still shouldn't see this kind of latency/packetloss, unless you were doing a transfer at the same time).
shawuser3
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

shawuser3

Click for full size
There's nothing on that interface, no nat, nothing. Just router connected to the WAN. Trace from home to work and work to home attached.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to kevinds

to kevinds
well at first shaw told me it was impossible due to billing code, now im finding numerous users who were advertised incorrect upload speeds due to there area being upgraded for the phase 2 DNU upgrade, who's upgraded areas have not been activated on phase 2 yet, tho they are capable of it, this proves that shaw can change the billing code cause they weant in and changed upload to people who were suppost to be getting 3 (they were advertised 5, but the upgrade hasnt even been switched on), since the bb100 is available in my area, i dont know why i cant receive this upload bumpup on my account aswell
stolen
Calgary, AB

stolen to shawuser3

to shawuser3
So the router isn't doing NAT? why is it there?
shawuser3
Vancouver, BC

shawuser3

To see if the problem was with my primary gateway or something on Shaw's end...
ddonais
join:2013-03-19
Dryden, ON

ddonais to ShawSean

to ShawSean
I was wondering if you could tell me if Shaw has any plans to expand their area in Dryden Ontario in the near future. I live about 1-2km outside of the Shaw area right now But I would love to get shaw if and when it is available for me.
stolen
Calgary, AB

stolen to shawuser3

to shawuser3
can you also do a "sho int fa 0/0" to see what it negotiated to?
Prowulf
join:2009-08-25
Vancouver, BC

Prowulf to ShawSean

to ShawSean
I got a quick question if a Shaw rep has some info on this... my brother has internet with Telus and apparently he was offered a 1 yr promo for Internet 10 and TV for 30/mo? Is this a legit promo? Not sure if it's a special outbound sales department or just Shaw trying to get Telus business. My brother was interested but just wanted to check here first before we call back in. Thanks!

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Looking at the current promos, and prices, that promo is more agressive then i have seen recently, but probably is legit.

Hopefully Shaw_Alex can answer officially though.

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

Shaw_Alex to Prowulf

to Prowulf
I'm not familiar with the outbound sales teams promotions; but it sounds like a heck of a deal. I can ask one of the sales people when they start work in about an hour if you want me to confirm.
adiabatic
join:2009-01-24
Victoria, BC

adiabatic to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Shaw's site is now showing BB250 is not available in Victoria, BC. I could swear it was available before.

Though, what I really care about is... does this mean bad news for the 10 Mbps upload speed for BB100 which still hasn't arrived?

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

Shaw_Alex

Broadband 250 isn't available in Victoria yet.

Still waiting on all the back-end upgrades to happen.
Prowulf
join:2009-08-25
Vancouver, BC

Prowulf to Shaw_Alex

to Shaw_Alex
Yes if you wouldn't mind checking for us thanks. He just recently moved and had been with Telus for a while and its normally a hassle to switch but with a deal like this he'll gladly come over to Shaw. I'm not sure if the sales rep will be calling us back next week but we'd like to decide by this weekend. Thanks.

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

Shaw_Alex

Send me the phone number they called via private message and I'll look into it.
don00
join:2004-07-22
Victoria, BC

don00 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
don't expect 10 mbps upgrade for BB100 in vic...more likely going to see ftth before that. quoting shaw here.

i'm in tillicum area. came home at like 6 and my internet was offline. power cycled modem and it came back, but it's felt laggy since then. did a speedtest and i'm getting 100+ ms to WA, and less than 3 mbps down. what's going on? been a number of outages lately, actually.

thank god for lte..

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

Shaw_Alex

Are you still having issues this morning? If so contact chat support at www.shaw.ca/chat or send me your account number.
xtachx
join:2005-11-19
canada

xtachx to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hi Shaw_Alex,

I have the student promo from 2 years ago (2011 ?), where you get 50% off for being a student and it is valid for as long as you are a student, you just have to show proof of enrollment. I emailed the proof of enrollment last year and I still have the promo.

Today I talked to CS (over chat) and asked them if a screenshot of my school's online system showing that I am an enrolled student would be considered a valid proof or I need to get a letter - I was suprised that the agent said that the student promos cannot be renewed. She said I should check back in august if there is a new student promo, but I cant keep mine, although when I signed up, it was not that way!

Is it true that I cant keep the promo I have past this june?

regards
xtachx

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Do you have any record of the promo stating that it renews as long as you are a student? - If you do, in my experience, there is someone who can re-enter the codes, just might take a bit of work
xtachx
join:2005-11-19
canada

xtachx

said by kevinds:

Do you have any record of the promo stating that it renews as long as you are a student? - If you do, in my experience, there is someone who can re-enter the codes, just might take a bit of work

I didnt save the page, I didnt imagine shaw will not honor this after a while, however, a web search reveals threads:

»forums.redflagdeals.com/ ··· 1077684/

(mentions that it is renewable as long as you are a student)

This is from the pre-personal TV era and shawsean knows all about it. (He has helped me get it in the first place, and it was in this very forum!)

I will dig up a bit see if I can find the flyer. However when I called in last year (I actually forgot to submit proof of enrollment on time), it was cancelled, but a manager saw my enrollment status and re-instated the promo and I was given a credit for the month where I was overcharged. This was during July, when they had no student promo just like now, so I find it hard to believe that they dont know about this plan.