Re: [ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep

Sean is still here, just not as much, try sending him a PM

But if you can find the orginal flyer, frame it you may need it again

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep
join:2010-12-16

Shaw_Alex to kevinds

to kevinds
The current student promotion has expired and can no longer be added to accounts. I don't have any confirmation, but I do believe a new student promotion is coming.

Currently we are putting students on other promotions to help them save money until a new promotion is available.

NRHM
@rogers.com

NRHM to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
I just spoke to a Shaw rep and I'd like confirmation about your online Video on Demand service (vod.shaw.ca)

If I don't want cable TV but do want cable Internet through Shaw. With just Internet can I still use this service? I have no use for 24/7 cable but being able to rent the occasional movie off of Shaw and stream it on my PC would be a plus.

The rep I spoke to said that in order to rent movies from vod.shaw.ca I must have cable. Is this the case? It seems really strange to restrict your Internet subscribers from renting and streaming movies to their PCs.

Synapse
@shawcable.net

Synapse to Shaw_Alex

Anon

to Shaw_Alex
Hi Shaw_Alex, been with Shaw for quite a few years and contacted them regarding my student promo expiring. They basically told me it wasn't being offered anymore and to look over the current bundles. No offers, promos or anything like that even vaguely alluded to.

Anything you can do to assist? I'm basically looking at my bill going from $85-$90 to nearly ~$200.
xtachx
join:2005-11-19
canada

xtachx

said by Synapse :

Hi Shaw_Alex, been with Shaw for quite a few years and contacted them regarding my student promo expiring. They basically told me it wasn't being offered anymore and to look over the current bundles. No offers, promos or anything like that even vaguely alluded to.

Anything you can do to assist? I'm basically looking at my bill going from $85-$90 to nearly ~$200.

I am on the same boat. Shaw_Alex said that they are putting students on a different promo till the student plan comes out in september. They will not let us keep our student plans. :-(
Bandito
join:2003-01-23

Bandito to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Can you verify something about your Broadband 50 and 100 internet? If you have the lower internet speed bundled with your tv, home phone, how much is the price (I will see) for the 50, and 100?

Can you also verify if you actually own the modem/router or you're renting it? Someone said that Shaw currently has a promo where the router is free and installation is also waived?

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

Shaw_Alex

It depends on your package. If you send me a PM with your account number, I can break down the charges for you.

Some modems are included in the package. Take a look at »www.shaw.ca/internet/packages/ for more information.
Bandito

Bandito

Thanks for the reply. Right now, I just want to verify the information that was given to me. I have a lot of codes on my account.

I looked at the packages and it says modem rental included on some of them. What was explained to me that I have the option of buying the modem/router but it's free right now if I take the broadband and if later, even a week later, i can downgrade and I keep the modem/router.

Can you verify the above information?

Travis86
@shawcable.net

Travis86 to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
So I have had to download the majority of my drop box due to a hard drive crash. I went to look at my data usage, I have used 287 GB of data with only 250 + 50GB (I am a shaw friend ) of data as my limit. If I excede the limit will I be charged a fee? If so how is it determined?

Thanks

Travis

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

Shaw_Alex

You will not be charged anything as we currently do not have any bandwidth usage fees. If you exceed your monthly bandwidth limits often, you will likely be contacted and asked to reduce your usage.

There will be a program coming later where you may be bumped up to the next level package but no details have come out on that yet.
Shaw_Alex

Shaw_Alex to Bandito

to Bandito
If you downgrade you will have to pay a little bit extra for the WiFi Modem or you have the option to switch to the free rental modem.
Bandito

Bandito

said by Shaw_Alex:

If you downgrade you will have to pay a little bit extra for the WiFi Modem or you have the option to switch to the free rental modem.

Does this apply as well if i downgrade to 25 Mbps speed or do I need to return the modem and use my own Docsis 2 modem to avoid additional hardware charges?

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

Shaw_Alex

Broadband 50, BB100 and BB250 all have included WiFI Modem rentals.
Everything else you will need to use a regular modem or rent a WiFi modem.

rush13
join:2008-01-06
Hamilton, ON

rush13 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Now that Shaw sold the Hamilton,Ontario part to the terrible company called Rogers, will our internet plans change in Hamilton?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Probably, Hamilton is done by Rogers now, not Shaw

Bunniez
@184.65.60.x

Bunniez to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean

What should I do?

I would love some assistance from a technically knowledgeable Shaw Rep, here's my situation:

I have Personal TV, Extreme Internet, Basic Phone, and a second Extreme Connection.

I want to drop both Extreme Internet Connections and upgrade to Broadband 100. I figure it should be around the same price.

I want to make use of some MoCA equipment I have to create an internal MoCA network. When my phone was installed I noticed there are no less than 3! splitters in my cable box and I stuck my nose in and noted they are standard 5-1Ghz splitters. My MoCA equipment won't work with those splitters as they operate above 1Ghz.

Also, I have a 'booster' on my main TV because the signal is so much better with it than without it. I believe these are prohibited?

I believe the install for the BB100 is free and I was hoping if and when I book an installation I can have the installer install:

1. A MoCA filter (provided by me)
2. Two splitters with a higher frequency rating (provided by me so I can use MoCA) and replace the 3 that are currently there and probably degrading my signal, so I could hopefully get rid of the booster
3. Have my new modem (I would request the Cisco) be bridged so I can use my own router. Request that at the time or beforehand?

Thoughts, advice, suggestions? I want to do this properly.

Thanks in advance.
ShadowMeph
join:2005-10-09
Abbotsford, BC

ShadowMeph

I just posted having similar issues but then with all of this flooding going on in Alberta maybe some of the Data centers are under water and or damaged could this be part of the reason why

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Bunniez

Premium Member

to Bunniez
I'm not a Shaw rep, but I can answer some of your things,

1. If you know where the splitters are, you can probably install the filter yourself. Are you not using it now? If not, adding it may fix your MoCA issues.

2. The splitters Shaw uses are the same for the MoCA networks they setup, 5 MHz to 1000 MHz, they aren't rated for above 1GHz but they will work, it just isn't known how they do to the frequencies.

3. Request it when you order, but make sure it is bridged before the tech leaves. BB100 you should get the Cisco, but isn't guarenteed, only BB250 guarentees you will get the Cisco, ask the installer if he doesn't bring out the Cisco, if he has any in their truck/van

4. They may just mail you the modem (last time they mailed me a modem, there was a return sticker for mailing back the existing modems (if you don't own them already))

How many outlets do you have/need, and do you know what your current signal level is? What kind of booster? How many ports are on each of your splitters?

You should probably start your own thread for this though.
Invade
join:2007-07-08
Burnaby, BC

Invade to ShawSean

to ShawSean

is there any ETA on when burnaby will get the upgrade for shaw 50/5 upload? IIRC there was an announcement several months back regarding this. I know some areas have it upgraded. D:
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to Bunniez

to Bunniez

Re: What should I do?

said by Bunniez :

I want to make use of some MoCA equipment I have to create an internal MoCA network. When my phone was installed I noticed there are no less than 3! splitters in my cable box and I stuck my nose in and noted they are standard 5-1Ghz splitters. My MoCA equipment won't work with those splitters as they operate above 1Ghz.

MoCA will work on these splitters. I run 2 seperate MoCA networks, one for Data using Netgear MoCA bridges, one for TV using the Shaw Arris Gateway and Portals. Both networks run through the Shaw provided 5-1000MHZ splitters, and both run exceedingly well even though they operate slightly over 1000 MHz.

I've speed tested my MoCA network to around 172 mbps.

Zhand
@rsac.com

Zhand to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean

Is the shaw service down in Edmonton Area August 19, we have no phone/internet or cable

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

Shaw_Alex

Hi Zhand,
I would recommend contacting a support agent via our regular support channels, Facebook (www.Facebook.com/Shaw) or Twitter (www.twitter.com/Shawhelp) for immediate assistance.
Expand your moderator at work
BxB
join:2006-01-16
k1r5d6

BxB to Shaw_Alex

to Shaw_Alex

Shaw_Alex:

Please give me a straight answer as whether Shaw throttles torrent traffic?
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by BxB:

Shaw_Alex:

Please give me a straight answer as whether Shaw throttles torrent traffic?

They Throttle traffic on congested nodes. Its in their TOC's please read them
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen to BxB

to BxB
According to »www.shaw.ca/terms-of-use/
Traffic Management Policies
Last updated: June 7, 2011
Shaw uses traffic management policies to ensure proportional access to its network for all Shaw Internet customers. Some Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications used for non real-time file sharing can consume a disproportionate amount of upstream bandwidth causing disruption to other customers on Shaw's network. Shaw's traffic management policies were introduced to quickly address any upstream congestion caused by these P2P applications while standard network expansion activities are undertaken to increase the bandwidth availability for all users.
Shaw's traffic management policies come into effect only if upstream network congestion occurs on a network segment. If congestion occurs, the traffic management policies reduce the amount of upstream bandwidth available for P2P applications completing non real-time file transfer activity to 80 kbps per end-user.
Shaw's traffic management policies do not affect download speeds and will not affect real-time interactive activities such as on-line gaming, banking, e-mail or VoIP services. For the majority of Shaw customers the Internet experience is unaffected by our traffic management policies and both upstream and downstream bandwidth will be available to ensure the full operation of any application.
The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw use IP addresses to make real-time traffic management decisions in relation to Shaw's network. Since IP addresses have the potential to be linked to an individual's customer account, IP addresses could be considered personal information. The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw do not involve capturing, storing or archiving this information in any way.
gitaroo
join:2010-08-03

gitaroo to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hi, has shaw started enforcing the bump up program yet if you go over your monthly bandwidth? I think I might hit over 10 gig this month, just curious. From Edmonton Alberta with bb100 btw if that makes any difference.