gitaroo

no I mean going over by 10 gb.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Don't worry about it, there is no bump-up program yet, and if you are only going over by that much, bandwidth team shouldn't be bothering you

Crunchyfrog
join:2006-05-04
Nanaimo, BC

Crunchyfrog to ShawSean

to ShawSean
What does it feel like "Sean"?
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to ShawSean

to ShawSean
So,

Any explanation on the new packages and their ridiculous pricing?

AmRoD11
@shawcable.net

AmRoD11

Anon

What happened to Unlimited 100 and 250?
Gotspeed
join:2011-12-30

Gotspeed to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Shaw_Alex,

1) Is Shaw's internet only for the Rich with your new pricing on packages? how can anyone with an average income pay for your internet? Can you explain the logic with these prices, as per bandwidth transfer costs are just pennies?

2)Has Shaw maxed out it's network, considering the problems implementing broadband 250mbps even after neighborhoods completed the dnu for phase 2? This is what I've been told by one of your frustrated Foreman's, Hence the slow implementation of services for broadband 250, frustrating many that have been promised by certain dates

3)Can you explain the annual increase on package prices and when asked why, saying they are for network upgrades but yet we don't see them or benefit from them? Only a lighter wallet.

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep
join:2010-12-16

Shaw_Alex

Hopefully I can provide some insight to your questions.

1) Bandwidth transfer costs more than pennies. You are paying for the delivery system, not just the cost of data. Apples grow on trees, yet they cost money at the grocery store. It's the delivery of services you are paying for. Costs continue to go up for many reasons, including of course inflation.

2) The network is a vast and growing system. Some areas are under more stress than others. If you are in an area that is experiencing issues, we will need to expand our resources for that section. Remember the internet is built on physical connections. When you connect to the internet in your home, that connection was built over years and years of expansions and upgrades to keep up with the latest technology. When demand increases, all of those parts need to change and upgrade to meet the new needs. In some cases entire roads need to be dug up to replace cables or investments in equipment worth hundreds of thousands of dollars need to be purchased to upgrade an area. It is a very expensive and time consuming business.

3) Similar to question 1, the demand for more data and faster speeds requires constant investment and resources. Our internet product has evolved constantly over the last 5 years that I have been with Shaw. When I started, 7.5mbps download speeds were the standard and now we are seeing 50mbps become a regular package. You may not notice it every day, but your internet connection is constantly improving and it's incredible.

I hope that helps.

AmRoD11
@shawcable.net

AmRoD11

Anon

@Shaw_Alex
What happened to Unlimited 100 and 250?
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to Shaw_Alex

to Shaw_Alex
said by Shaw_Alex:

1) Bandwidth transfer costs more than pennies. You are paying for the delivery system, not just the cost of data. Apples grow on trees, yet they cost money at the grocery store. It's the delivery of services you are paying for. Costs continue to go up for many reasons, including of course inflation.

so basically shaw is saying ," were cheap and we dont wanna upgrade people untill we rip them off for a bit to make up for the cash were gonna loose". that is called the cost of business, shaw cant jack prices just because telus's superior plans and pricing is forcing them to roll out upgrades sooner, you need to spend money to make money, not jack customers up to makeup for the money your about to loose, these raised prices would not be necessary if shaw didnt waste money on stupid shit like shaw go wifi, so were basically paying for that
gitaroo
join:2010-08-03

gitaroo to ShawSean

to ShawSean
the new plans looks like bump up program is in place now?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Not seeing anything that indicates that... Other than the + plans are also listed with the non-plus plan (on the same page)
gitaroo
join:2010-08-03

gitaroo to ShawSean

to ShawSean
I saw "Subject to Bump-up‡."

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

That's been there since last January

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999 to Shaw_Alex

to Shaw_Alex
4) Wheres my Phase 2?
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

+1 but more specifically, where is my bb250, phase 2 is already done here lol

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I've been getting conflicting responces from Shaw lately, Phase 2 is now removing all the analog stations, not just the Tiers

JohnH1
@telus.net

JohnH1

Anon

Can two Shaw accounts run across the same coaxial cable or will I need to pull another cable?

The basement is being rented out and they are using Shaw for TV.

The whole house is wired for Cable/Ethernet and everything goes back to the closet. Their connection goes from the basement up to the closet, connects to another coaxial cable in the closet that goes outside the side of the house, down a conduit all the way to the garage into the smart panel.

There's a spare coax from the closet to the side of the house but terminates there. There's a fishing line in the conduit from the house to the garage so I could pull an extra coax cable and connect it to the spare coax. But is it necessary or is it all going to travel down the same line anyways?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

It will be the same cable coming from the street, and split to the upstairs and basement

Vollezar
join:2008-02-19
Victoria, BC

Vollezar to ShawSean

to ShawSean
I know you have been asked this before, but I will ask again. Is Shaw going to raise the upload speeds?

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

said by Vollezar:

I know you have been asked this before, but I will ask again. Is Shaw going to raise the upload speeds?

No Idea @detoam. I'm sure if there's any changes made to our u/d speeds we'll share it via Twitter/fb/community/shaw.ca etc.

cheers,
Sean

Vollezar
join:2008-02-19
Victoria, BC

Vollezar

Thank you.
chall2k56
join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

chall2k56 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Any chance of seeing faster upload speeds on our plans?

Telus recently bumped all of their VDSL plans to 5 or 10Mbps up

There is no reason why 25 cant see 5Mbps and 50 cant match the 10Mbps

Spellbot5000
join:2011-06-09
Port Moody, BC

1 edit

Spellbot5000 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Do the Shaw phone/chat reps have access to more detailed bandwidth logs than what's shown on the website? My bandwidth usage is somehow almost 6 times higher this month than any month previous, and I'm at a loss to explain why.

Hoping they might have more detailed stats, and can determine if it was spread out over the month, and maybe is somehow just normal use, or if it was during a single period and is indicative of someone hijacking my WiFi signal.

EDIT: Talked to a rep this morning, and she said there is an ongoing bug with bandwidth reporting where it will lump several months usage into one month on the bar graph.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999 to chall2k56

to chall2k56
"recently"

1-2 years ago if I recall
TrainAss
join:2011-01-26
Canada

TrainAss to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hey Op, I'll be getting my Shaw internet hooked up on Sunday. I understand that Shaw offers Modem/Router combo, and they will enable bridge mode. Will Shaw ever allow the use of customer owned modems?

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Anyone from Shaw still monitor these forums? Could use a signal check to find out why my modem is dropping every few days.

Thanks!

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to TrainAss

Premium Member

to TrainAss
said by TrainAss:

Will Shaw ever allow the use of customer owned modems?

Extremely unlikely
TrainAss
join:2011-01-26
Canada

TrainAss

said by kevinds:

said by TrainAss:

Will Shaw ever allow the use of customer owned modems?

Extremely unlikely

Why do you think that would be?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Experience with Shaw.

Unless they are forced to, no

They won't even allow the SB6120 modems (that some Shaw customers have), that the TPIA have on their systems - taking a TSI modem and putting it on a Shaw cable account

Unless they are forced to, I don't see it happening - makes troubleshooting harder, service call comes out, tech can't swap the modem to test, tells customer to buy a new modem, customer buys new modem, and doesn't fix the problem - as an example