tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to TrainAss

to TrainAss
said by TrainAss:

said by kevinds:

said by TrainAss:

Will Shaw ever allow the use of customer owned modems?

Extremely unlikely

Why do you think that would be?

Because they're not legally required to like they are in the US. So they want to be the ones that control the end-to-end experience by making you buy (or rent) their modems, buy their boxes (that only work on their system), etc.

Hell, consider yourself lucky Shaw at least has the option to bridge the modem.

The only reason Americans can buy their own modems and use their own cableboxes and DVRs is because the FCC makes it mandatory that customers can own their own equipment AND use their own equipment (as long as it's compatible). This arose because a lot of companies weren't letting customers buy their gear, so they were constantly being dinged extra $5/month in rental fees that really should've been rolled into the regular price since it was impossible to use their service without it.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by tlhIngan:

they were constantly being dinged extra $5/month in rental fees that really should've been rolled into the regular price since it was impossible to use their service without it.

Or $15/month for a DVR service fee, to actually use the PVR features of a DCT6416
tlhIngan
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan

said by kevinds:

said by tlhIngan:

they were constantly being dinged extra $5/month in rental fees that really should've been rolled into the regular price since it was impossible to use their service without it.

Or $15/month for a DVR service fee, to actually use the PVR features of a DCT6416

Actually, that never happened in the US - because of ReplayTV and TiVo were charging $10/month for their service. The cable providers wouldn't very well charge MORE (because users would just buy a TiVo/ReplayTV), so they billed around $8/month for the recording function.

Of course, Canada is free to do it as there's no way to use a far superior DVR here.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by tlhIngan:

Actually, that never happened in the US

said by tlbepson:

In Reston, VA the dvr charge is $16.95/month.

For many, many years (8-10), I have used a Comcast provided Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD stb--it was provided initially in an attempt to fix a closed captioning issue (I have a hearing loss and need closed captions to make programming accessible). A number of months ago, Comcast turned on the dvr function on the 8300HD--I had not requested it and had no desire for the service.

Last week I received a letter telling me that I would now be charged for the dvr service. Since I had not requested it and didn't want it, I certainly wasn't going to pay for it--and certainly not $16.95/month!

Quick search, didn't find one that used the DCT6416, but doesn't really matter
spazz
join:2013-06-20
Port Moody, BC

spazz to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hi Mr. Shaw!

I just got the new SBG6782 modem, and is there a way to enable snmp on that thing? I'd like to be able to monitor my bandwidth...

Thanks!
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

Glen T to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Does Shaw use robocalls for account payment issues? I keep getting robocalls on my cell phone claiming to be from Shaw, but I checked my account an it is up to date. In fact, I got on Shaw Chat and had a customer rep verify that the account is up to date. To make thing weirder, Shaw does not have my cell phone number as the contact number on record. These calls have continued for months. The number that I am supposed to call is 1-855-729-7658. The Shaw rep says that it must be some kind of scam.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Yeah, just a recording on the call.

Noticed this a few weeks ago, 4-6 weeks ago I noticed them

Possible someone mis-understood or mis-typed their phone number and yours got entered? Dunno

I've had it before, but it was to call a different number (one of Shaw's familiar contact numbers)
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

Glen T

Thanks. It's annoying. The message has cycled through advising that there was a disconnect order issued. Now it is back to just requesting payment. I guess Shaw really is that hard up for customers that they won't follow through.

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium Member
join:2011-02-03

MerinX to ShawSean

Premium Member

to ShawSean
Does shaw have any plans to implement Usage based billing?
Since telus is planning to make screwing over its customers i am considering going back to Shaw since 400g a month is unacceptable for the top tier service that is available in my area.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Kind of, if you are on their top plan, the bandwidth team can add blocks of data, but that is still knowing what your bill would be.

But UBB, they'll do the Xbox/PS4 thing, let the other guy try it first and see what happens

What I would like to see, is either:

a) open the pipe up, with the new Hitron, provision it for 1 gbps and bill per GB
or
b) charge for the speed, and not charge per GB.
tlhIngan
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to MerinX

to MerinX
Well, technically Shaw does have UBB in the works.

Though unlike Telus, the plan has always been to upgrade you to the higher level tier so you get the benefit of extra speed for the rest of the billing period. At the very top you end up with unlimited data. so your bill ends up capped around $200 or so for the month (basically what the monthly price is for the top tier with unlimited data).

Right now, what's kept Shaw from enforcing it is the inadequacy of their metering and monitoring tools, and the fact that Telus hasn't been charging for it.

Now that Telus is charging, the need for Shaw to not enforce it is gone, so going to Shaw may or may not be the wisest idea. Might want to check out Teksavvy and other 3rd party ISPs. Or see what Shaw and Telus will have in the way of unlimited plans.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by tlhIngan:

Or see what Shaw and Telus will have in the way of unlimited plans.

Right now, and as far as I know, Shaw has an unlimited option on all their plans, $100/month extra
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70

said by kevinds:

Right now, and as far as I know, Shaw has an unlimited option on all their plans, $100/month extra

Didn't Shaw get rid of the unlimited plans some time ago?
I can't find it in the current plans listed on their webpage:

»www.shaw.ca/internet/com ··· e-plans/
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to tlhIngan

to tlhIngan
Yes because nothing says competition doing what your competitor does and implement UBB I thought the whole point of competition was to reduce prices and increase service not jack up rates slow speeds and reduce caps at the same time your competitor does.

Shaw has the incentive here of not implementing UBB and reaping the rewards of Telus customers jumping ship for better offerings.

Then again competition in Canada is non existent and collusion is running rampant

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to spectrum70

Premium Member

to spectrum70
said by spectrum70:

Didn't Shaw get rid of the unlimited plans some time ago?
I can't find it in the current plans listed on their webpage:

Believe it is just gone from view, but may be gone forever for new cstomers because you can't order the base package for them now
waldstein
join:2010-07-25
Hoserland

waldstein to ShawSean

to ShawSean
I'm not sure whether you Shaw guys follow the other threads in this forum. Is it OK for me to point you in the direction of a post I just sent, in hope that you might be able to help me navigate the issue? In case that's ok, my post is called "Desperately need advice or help re my Shaw BB50 connection". If I'm violating the courtesy of this forum, I apologize...and please delete this.

TIA
Waldstein

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

The thread you made, is directly below this one last I checked
pkclown
join:2014-03-01
Chilliwack, BC

pkclown to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hello Sean,

If I were to 'purchase' a grandfathered BB100 or BB250 plan from a Shaw customer, would I be able to 'transfer' that grandfathered internet plan to my name via a transfer of responsibility and then 'move' that plan to my address? Or does a transfer of responsibility and/or a physical move force a plan change in your system?

Sincerely,
Isaac

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Should be good...
As long as the new address can still have the old plan.

mellowlol
join:2015-06-18

mellowlol to pkclown

to pkclown
Yes, but make sure the account is in the same billing system. Shaw separates their accounts based on geographic regions (Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, etc.). Moving an account from Victoria to Vancouver is not possible (a new account would have to be created using new service codes -- not old ones).

tman1988
@juce.ca

tman1988

Anon

Hello,

I recently cancelled my Shaw broadband 100+ plan. I moved over to a third party internet company and have been having internet that is unusable from 9pm to about 3 am. I was wondering if I am able to get back my old plan at the same price I was paying our will they want me to go with a slower more expensive plan, like the ones available now.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

They'll make you pick a current plan.

Same thing if you do a vacation suspend.

tman1988
@shawcable.net

tman1988

Anon

Thanks for the reply. I found an extremely nice CSR and she filed some paperwork and I went to go pick up a new modem and I am now on the same broadband 100+ plan at $10 cheaper then before.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to ShawSean

to ShawSean
How fucking long does it take to complete a simple fucking work order

mellowlol
join:2015-06-18

mellowlol

said by Doonz:

A simple work order (package change) takes a minute or two.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by mellowlol:

said by Doonz:

A simple work order (package change) takes a minute or two.

Yeah tell me about it going on 9 buisness days
StolenLemur
join:2015-09-07
High River, AB

StolenLemur to ShawSean

to ShawSean
What do you say to someone who pays for 60 mb/s and only gets that speed from about 2am to 3pm? The other hours it can drop to 3 mb/s. Can you suggest a solution or am I just stuck in this saturated mess?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Which modem are you using?

Try and get the Hitron or DPC3848 (preferred) modems, should help a bit