Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stevenros

join:2011-09-13
reply to J E F F

Re: [OS X] How to get rid of Slow Mac Lion Slow Mac OS X 10.7

Thanks JEFF

My Mac has 320 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, 2.4 GHz Intel Core2Duo Processor. Yes, I have tried your suggestions but these didn't work.

Actually I work with media files and need to handle large files, play audio/ Video, modify them randomly and save them at different locations. My Mac Lion takes too much of time to start my applications.

I think I have made all the things clear. Your opinion please....

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

The RAM is going to kill it. Upgrade to at least 4GB, if not 8GB (if your Mac can support it - might max out at 4 or 6 GB).

I've noticed Lion on my MacBook Pro C2D handles multiple apps much worse than Snow Leopard (it "feels" a lot slower). I have 3GB of RAM.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to stevenros

Well, several things.

1. Thinkdiff has a good idea about upgrading RAM.

Here are some other thoughts:

2. Disable the local time machine backups (also called snapshots). Lion saves any file changes to your local drive so you can use Time Machine even if your external drive isn't connected. While they claim it doesn't slow things down, it might very well, especially when working on a large file. To disable local backups, do this:

sudo tmutil disablelocal

3. Secondly, if you feel comfortable about it, you could also disable the sleep image. (Sleep image is needed for when your battery goes dead)

I do get the feeling that both those things go bog the machine down a little, especially when working on large files.

4. You may also want to check your activity monitor for any rogue program that might be taking up too much CPU usage. I had an issue with a program once that basically was running a background service that added 10 to my system temp and spinning the HD constantly. Promptly removed, issue solved.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

stevenros

join:2011-09-13

May be u are right. But if u look at »www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html its recommended by Apple it self that 2GB RAM is sufficient for Mac Lion.

Do you have any other solution please. Please mind the investment part of suggestion

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL

said by stevenros:

May be u are right. But if u look at »www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html its recommended by Apple it self that 2GB RAM is sufficient for Mac Lion.

Do you have any other solution please. Please mind the investment part of suggestion

Well, it is "sufficient" in that your system does run, right? You say you are editing large media files. That is generally a use case where more RAM is indicated. 2 gigs of RAM, or even 4, is not going to set you back all that much.

landothedave

join:2006-11-03
Everett, WA
reply to stevenros

Im shocked that with 2gig of Ram that any version of OS X was not slow. Apples minimum spec is 2Gb.. that is for the OS to run. Ad in your large media files and the software you are editing with and all of a sudden that 2Gb is not enough. My MBP is maxed out with Ram for the sake of the only apps i really use on it are Final Cut/After Effects/Photoshop. Seriously buy more ram.
Also repair your permissions and follow the other advice Jeff offered.

myosh

join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA

1 recommendation

reply to stevenros

said by stevenros:

I'm surprised no one else has suggested this... how about going back to Snow Leopard (10.6)? This would be especially true if things ran fine under 10.6 and you don't want to pony up the $60 for an 8 GB memory upgrade.

modelamac

join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI
reply to stevenros

You need minimum of 4 GB RAM, and 8GB would set you free. It cured my problem with my 2011 i7 MBP slowing down after rendering DVDs of iMovies.

TwighlightLA
Premium
join:2010-07-03
kudos:1

said by modelamac:

You need minimum of 4 GB RAM, and 8GB would set you free. It cured my problem with my 2011 i7 MBP slowing down after rendering DVDs of iMovies.

ADDENDUM:

I just realized that in the cost of buying to RAM you possibly might be looking at Apple's prices for their RAM. That RAM is way more expensive than Mac compatible quality RAM.

RAM from those reputable vendors is way cheaper than Apple's.