Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CableConvert
Premium
join:2003-12-05
Atlanta, GA

[Connectivity] Usage Meter Wildly Wrong

I had a jump (according to Comcast's meter), of over 75 gigabytes last month and I dont use very bandwidth heavy applications (no netflix...might watch a PBS video online and youtube). I have a netgear router but the wireless is disabled (I dont use it). Since then I have been following my usage on a daily basis and the Comcast usage is WILDLY wrong. I was gone yesterday, and powered down everything (including my modem) and magically used 19GB. I am not near 250, but what recourse would someone have if they were. Is this meter what is determining if people lose their connection to the internet. Who verifies this is correct? Is it cause Comcast says so???

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
I would make sure that Comcast has the correct MAC address assigned to your account. Could be a different MAC showing up online, but you can check that.

Also, you may want to install DDWRT on the router (or some other software) and see if that gets the same results.

There havent been a lot of problems posted here with the meter being WRONG, they are more-so about the meter even being there at all.

CableConvert
Premium
Atlanta, GA
I will check about the MAC address, but the router is one of the FCC routers that test your connection to see if you are getting the speeds advertised and it logs pretty extensively. Do I have to call comcast to check the MAC? I bought my own cable modem about 6 months ago, but the last 2 months are where I've seen it be flat out wrong

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
I believe it may say it on the usage page, but i could be wrong. In either case, you may want to call and confirm.

Are you sure the router isnt sending data traffic to a destination? That seems like something the FCC may do.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to CableConvert
The meter has been wrong on the EXTREME low end over the last couple months for some of us, because the meter was either not showing or not updating correctly.
mine and at least a few others came back online and running correctly the second half of august and so far this month seems right on the mark. it may just be starting the wacko time in your area.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to CableConvert
thats funny because my usage meter is about 19GB below where it should be. LOL

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to CableConvert
You mean you got a samknows router? You can disable the testing feature in the router settings.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to CableConvert
Meter is just there for your reference. A lot more has to happen than just breaking the cap for them to take action (which is many warnings before you get diso'd).
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

tyler

@comcast.net
reply to CableConvert
If you are using the FCC SamKnows unit you may want to read section 7 of the SamKnows testing methodology paper (»www.samknows.com/broadband/uploa···0701.pdf). It shows you how much their tests consume your network bandwidth on a daily basis. You may be surprised at how much their stuff uses your bandwidth (I was). My unit is using more than 100GB per month (I have the Blast service).

chaeman

join:2011-09-14
Philadelphia, PA
reply to CableConvert
A company called NetForecast did an audit of Comcast's Usage meter and here is their report

CableConvert
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to tyler
WOW...I had no idea. I'm still 100GB below the cap, but it uses A LOT of data for testing.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to CableConvert
I guess you had to give something up to get the free router. But dam 100 GB a month ide be dumping that POS.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2
reply to CableConvert
said by CableConvert:

WOW...I had no idea. I'm still 100GB below the cap, but it uses A LOT of data for testing.

That was one of the concerns many ISPs raised about the FCC/SamKnows system -- it definitely uses a lot of data.
--
JL
Comcast

bharath

join:2011-09-15
reply to CableConvert
Where does one find the usage meter, I am also FCC/SamKnows would like to know my bandwidth usage.

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
said by bharath:

Where does one find the usage meter, I am also FCC/SamKnows would like to know my bandwidth usage.

»xfinity.comcast.net/? Log in, click account at the top of the page, and go to users and settings.
--
»One of the VERY BEST sites to download youtube videos

bharath

said by fonzbear2000:

said by bharath:

»xfinity.comcast.net/? Log in, click account at the top of the page, and go to users and settings.

I logged in there and when I click on account I get redirected to customer.comcast.com. There when I click on users and setting tabs I dont find the usage meter.

bharath

reply to fonzbear2000
said by fonzbear2000:

said by bharath:

I logged in and hit account on the top of the page, it redirects me to customer.comcast.com. When I go to the user and settings page I only see the following options

View/edit personal information
Change user name
View alert preferences
Change password/secret question
Change email preferences

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to bharath
Be sure you are logging into the primary Comcast account.

bharath

Thanks once I logged in with my primary account I am able to see the usage meter.