Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

attisaripoff

join:2011-09-15
Seagoville, TX

ATT Unlimited? Not Today

Grandfathered Plan? Not with ATT

Been a ATT customer for over five decades, last month, I opted to call and request FREE mobile to mobile calling. When I made the request, there was no recorded message on our account.

Today I receive my bill and notice a charge for $20.00 for mobile to mobile to mobile service. I call the same 800 number about this and I am greeted by a recorded message stating that they need to speak to me about our "Data Plan". Hearing this, of course I ask what the message is about.

Keep in mind that we ARE grandfathered into an unlimited data plan I thought that this was odd. I just did not know how ODD it would become.

I am told "sorry it is too late, the change has already been made". You have been put into "another" plan which is NOT UNLIMITED because we did not respond to these imaginary letters, texts and emails sent to a bogus email address. According to them this started in May and they claim we are tethering. I request copies of these supposed letters, texts and emails, they cannot produce ANYTHING! So I ask for them to send something showing that we had broken this UNLIMITED plan. Again, they have nothing other than to say its too late? At this point I am scratching my head thinking to myself "UNLIMITED".

I tell them that I am protesting this decision and I point to the call made last month, which they have record of and I ask why did you NOT tell me at that time, if this was the case. They have NO ANSWERS, they only want to argue and be rude.

Amazing, we have absolutely no say!! They just make the decision to change us to some BS plan? We have been grandfathered in the "unlimited" plan, I do not get it, if you PAY for unlimited, how now can they put a limit on it??????

I am reporting ATT to every alphabet I can, BBB, FTC, etc. I CAN AND WILL CANCEL my account with ATT and move my business to Sprint, at least they are UNLIMITED, what I paid for in the first place.

This is absurd and a GREAT reason for them not to buy T-Mobile! no wonder the government is intervening! They do not deserve to be that big.

A Disgusted ATT Customer of 50 years!! Way To Go ATT, you lost my business.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
I wonder if you ended up on a different plan when you added the mobile-to-mobile feature, which was not available with the unlimited plan?

In any case, it sounds bogus. Call back, explain the problem, and ask them to put you back where you were. If they cannot, ask for a supervisor, and repeat this until it's fixed or they will not bump you up the chain. At that point, get the name of the person you are talking to, then ask for help from your local media, or internet media like the consumerist.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

attisaripoff

join:2011-09-15
Seagoville, TX
Not only have I done all of that, I moved up the chain, gave names and made reports and asked that they pull the calls and see how these reps acted. When I asked for the mobile to mobile I was assured that my unlimited would remain so, another reason for my suspicion that this was all just to make us not under the unlimited plan. I hope that something happens to ATT because they cannot do people this way, especially their loyal customers.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to attisaripoff
The free mobile to mobile that you get with unlimited texting?

Looks like you modified your contract.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to attisaripoff
said by attisaripoff:

Not only have I done all of that, I moved up the chain, gave names and made reports and asked that they pull the calls and see how these reps acted. When I asked for the mobile to mobile I was assured that my unlimited would remain so, another reason for my suspicion that this was all just to make us not under the unlimited plan. I hope that something happens to ATT because they cannot do people this way, especially their loyal customers.

They can do whatever they want. They've been the rated the worst carrier for years. Yet they make the most money every quarter.

People like to complain about AT&T but continue to give them their money, AT&T management has no incentive to change.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to attisaripoff
I added the unlimited mobile to mobile calling to my unlimited data plan and nothing bad happened. However, ATT has gone down the toilet in Indianapolis in the past year (two days I went without calls getting to my phone at all) and I'm done with them. I'm in the process of switching all 4 family lines to Verizon, ATT can kiss my ass.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
Sounds more like someone was tethering and disregarded the notices.

Time
Premium
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA
reply to attisaripoff
You sure it was them who were being rude? 9 times out of 10 when that statement is made, the rudeness is on the customer side (anyone who has worked in a call center at some point in their life will tell you this). Everytime I've spoken with them, they have been pleasant. You're more likely to get a resolution that you want by calling in, and calmly explaining the situation. Not yelling at some random poor soul on the other end who needs to listen to your incessant complaining, do not make demands, and do not make threats (lol, like the BBB is going to do anything).
--
"If it can't be done with brains, it can't be done with hours" - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

+1
--
"I'm A PC, And Windows 7 Was My Idea."
Expand your moderator at work

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Re: ATT Unlimited? Not Today

How many of you have had the joy of at&t? We recently ended up 'accidentally' getting a nearly $1000 bill from them that was only $700 more then it should be.

I do love the responses. Just leave. It's no wonder we americans get reamed in the ass in cell phone prices.

Hope you guys enjoy your dropped calls, I'm with verizon now myself.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
said by Metatron2008:

How many of you have had the joy of at&t?

My wife & I have been with at&t for over ten years with nothing but stellar service the whole time. The customer service both in their corporate stores & over the phone has been excellent & professional, Their cellular service in the Seattle area is competitively priced , and IMO works just well as any of the other carriers, I've always found a good selection of phones to choose from as well.
Sometimes I get upset that I don't have a horror story to tell at times like this because it makes me feel left out not being able to jump on the at&t hate bandwagon with everyone else ...
--
"I'm A PC, And Windows 7 Was My Idea."

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

How many of you have had the joy of at&t? We recently ended up 'accidentally' getting a nearly $1000 bill from them that was only $700 more then it should be.

I do love the responses. Just leave. It's no wonder we americans get reamed in the ass in cell phone prices.

Steller service down here. could the price be better? Yes. Could AT&T, as a company, be better? Yes. But the service? Rock solid. Fast 3G, no drop calls, very clear calls.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

1 edit
reply to attisaripoff
said by attisaripoff:

When I asked for the mobile to mobile I was assured that my unlimited would remain so,........

You've changed the contract.....and believed a stranger over the phone.

I am not changing a thing. I want to keep my grandfathered unlimited.
Don't see a problem with my grandfathered unlimited iPad.I must be using 5-10g a month on that thing. Up to 5g on my iPhone.
Everyone I know upgraded to the IPad 2 with no issue.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

Tappedout

@rr.com
reply to attisaripoff
I have had at&t wireless for close to 15 years from back when it was Ameritech Cellular, I have had excellent service the whole time, the calling plan I have doesn't exist any more(I am grandfathered) and they keep wanting to "upgrade" which for me would be more expensive for no more service than I am using now, I don't make a lot of calls, do not message, and use very little wireless internet.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
reply to attisaripoff
Good luck with them. I had them for LD until 2002. Got a better deal from Verizon. I ended up having to take them to court over bogus charges because they didn't actually terminate me and I was being hounded by a bunch of bill collectors. The idiots finally sent me in writing a year later that even though I had canceled service, I was responsible for any bill they sent me until their systems actually closed me out...that they have no actual control over that, and that any amounts I paid after cancellation would be refunded...but I had to pay them anyway. They got spanked pretty hard and their lawyer even got cited for contempt for refusing to comply with the judge's decision. It took another year and 3 more court appearances to actually get the money they were ordered to pay. In-frickin-credible bunch of asshats there.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to attisaripoff
I tether my iPhone every now and then and use about 3GB a month on the unlimited plan and don't have a problem.

Every now and then I even use my iPhone SIM card in my Dell laptop.
--
PRescott7-2097

Tappedout

@rr.com
reply to attisaripoff
What is this "bogus" email address you speak of? When you signed up you gave them incorrect contact information and are complaining when you didn't get the emails?

This is like giving your doctor a bogus phone number then complain when they didn't call letting you know your test results.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
said by Tappedout :

What is this "bogus" email address you speak of? When you signed up you gave them incorrect contact information and are complaining when you didn't get the emails

Don't be such an accusatory ignoramus. I have had Verizon tell me they emailed things to the "address on file" which was NOT the address that was shown online or where I receive my billing notifications (and not even mine). Same for "tried to contact you by phone" for service issues at numbers other than my service number, cell or another one I specifically gave them for that occasion.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

ATT provides an internet connection to your device, that is what the customer pays for. How you use your connection after the demarc point is not something ATT has any concern with. With android you can do anything you can do on a laptop with torrents/download/video streaming so worrying about tethering makes no sense as tethering does not mean you will use more data.
Anyways ATT has no way to know if the OP was using lots of traffic with their phone or through a connected computer.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
I tether also, and I agree that I should be able to use my connection how I see fit.
But you are insane if you think they don't know if you are tethering and not covering your tracks.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
If you root your phone and tether properly they have no idea that you are tethering. All they can see is data movement and they have no way of knowing what is using that data.
For android you can change the APN so they do not know you are tethering. I have no idea if you can do that with an iphone, i would think someone figured it out for the iphone by now.
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
They have, some people just don't use it.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
well then if they get logged using the tethering apn then that is their own fault. They might as well call up ATT and say they tether.

ATT is unfairly limiting phones, but you have to know how to play the game so they do not unfairly try to charge you more. Like the OP encountered the highschool dropouts and indians on the phones will never give in and restore you unlimited plan. They do not care about the customer.
--

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to attisaripoff
if you wish, I can check into this let me know.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to r81984
I just buy the tethering plan. It adds 2 extra gigs to the cap and avoids any hassles, since I usually use in excess of 3 gigs/month which would be $20 anyways($10 for passing 2GB and another $10 for passing the 3GB mark). I often online game through the phone(Allods Online, FFXI, etc) on the laptop, as wifi availability around here sucks, especially in the sticks part of the county. I would be a fool to think AT&T can't distinguish the traffic these apps produce from others and know they are actively hunting people. Maybe once smartphones can run full MMORPGs, it might be harder to tell. Encrypted tunnels work for TCP apps, but tend to be flaky or just not work with UDP. Connectbot is the best option I've seen for an encrypted ssh tunnel with Android, but it only supports TCP, period. Could do it from the PC end, but I have yet to use an app that efficiently tunnels UDP multicast packets reliably(Ping fu was the best I've seen, but requires subscription for UDP tunneling and only seems to work with some games, thus still better off just getting tethering). I occasionally stay under 3 gigs, but $10 for a few random months is worth knowing I can just use it when and if I want to use it. Light users who hardly use it but for just webpages I can see it being unfair to. But they are also the least likely to have suspicious traffic patterns. Mine would be very suspicious and my usage warrants buying the higher gigs, anyways.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.