spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DG6
join:2002-05-14
New Hartford, CT

DG6

Web space size error

For over a week I've been trying to clear up a problem with my web space on Charter's server. Tonight I was instructed to write to hostmaster@charter.net and explain my problem. The email now gets bumped because it says there is no such address!!! Here is my email. Anyone know what I should do next?

Dear Charter tech:
I've been instructed to write to you to explain my problem with my Charter web space. For over a month, I’ve been noticing that images sent to my web space from my amateur weather station are getting cut off. I’ve investigated and found that files any larger than say 130k-150k are either cut short or totally rejected with an FTP server error of 552 saying that I have reached my allotted capacity of 20MB. However, my FTP program states I have only used about 7.6MB of space. Even Charter’s own “tool” which lists my files at »webpages.charter.net/d*******/ shows about 420 files adding up to about 8MB of space. There is one subdirectory called ****_**** that contains a few more files that adds about 150K to that amount. Here is an example of what I get if I try to FTP a file called contact lens rebate.pdf that is 189K in size. It gets rejected because of its size and allocated space.

FireFTP 1.0.10 'Human Being' created by Mime uvalo

220 FTP Server ready

USER ********

331 Password required for *********

PASS (password not shown)

230 User ******* logged in

FEAT

211-Features:
MDTM
REST STREAM
SIZE

211 End

PWD

257 "/" is the current directory

TYPE A

200 Type set to A

PASV

227 Entering Passive Mode ().

LIST -al

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list

226 Transfer complete

TYPE I

200 Type set to I

PASV

STOR contact lens rebate.pdf

150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for contact lens rebate.pdf

STOR: notice: quota reached: used 20.00 of 20.00 upload Mb

552-Transfer aborted. Disc quota exceeded
STOR: notice: quota reached: used 20.00 of 20.00 upload Mb
552 STOR: notice: quota reached: 'contact lens rebate.pdf' removed
: /contact lens rebate.pdf

TYPE A

200 Type set to A

PASV

LIST -al

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list

226 Transfer complete

It appears that your server is erroneously reporting the size of my directory and is limiting my ability to properly upload my files. The various people I have spoken to at your tech support either have no idea what I am talking about or merely repeat the same thing; that I have used all my web space. When I show them the actual contents of my web space and how it adds up, they have no explanation. I’ve even been told that I can buy cloud drive space to store my files for $5.00 per month. All I am asking for is access to the space I am paying for. I have a webpage for my amateur weather station that is accessed by NOAA, Weatherundergound.com, the NWS, and other sites. I do not want to change its web address or get my own domain at this time since the space that Charter includes with my monthly access fee is more than adequate. Please look into my problem and let me know your solution.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Maybe try deleting all the files from the server and then re-uploading them. What ftp program are you using? Filezilla?

I just transferred all 16Mb's of stuff I have on my site without any issues.

Why did you not put the correct url to your site on here? I'm always very interested in weather, no matter where it is?!

Can't believe you haven't gotten some one to come across with what a rotten place that is to use yet!!
DG6
New Hartford, CT

DG6

The weather software uses its own propriety FTP program. I have the same problem when using FireFTP addon for Firefox too. I considered deleting all the files and re-uploading them, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to get them up there again because of the space error and I'll be out of luck entirely, with Charter simply saying that I've used all my space, even when I show them there are no files there! I've considered simply getting my own domain, which is what I should have done many years ago, before I got over 34,000 hits to my site and people started to depend on it for information.

Here are the URLs. Look at the images on the second link and you'll see that they are cut off.

»webpages.charter.net/dou ··· doug.htm
»webpages.charter.net/dou ··· tion.htm

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

3 edits

cork1958

Premium Member

I thought you might be concerned about not being able to re-up them, which is good, I guess.

Everything shows up correctly for me on that second link. Both links are working correctly even.

Man!
A frost advisory there too!! Brr!!
DG6
New Hartford, CT

DG6

The image with the dials all over it, which is an animated gif, is cut off. Watch it for a few seconds and you'll see what I mean.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

1 edit

cork1958

Premium Member

It's not cut off for me, but as it refreshes, the bottom section does go black. You are talking about the part that shows rain today and rain in last hour, right?

It's doing that in IE9 anyway, but I don't think it was when I was using Seamonkey earlier. Not on same computer now and don't have any other browser installed under my wifes name, on this computer.

Edit:
It is doing the same thing using Firefox 6.0.2 and Linux.
DG6
New Hartford, CT

DG6

Yup. That's the image and how it looks when the file is cut short during its upload. I wonder if my problem could be due to wasted space due to a large cluster size on the server drive? Seems unlikely.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

4 edits

cork1958

Premium Member

FWIW and in case you've done anything to the site, it's not doing that flashing thing using SRWare Iron (Chrome alternative) Not doing it in Opera either. Not in Seamonkey either, although the whole image is blinking slightly. Now, in IE9, 64bit, it's not loading at all, but in IE9, 32bit, it's working perfectly!!

Edit:
Weird as heck. Now that image is loading in IE9, 64 bit, but the next image down isn't nor are the 2 below the graph under that!!
DG6
New Hartford, CT

DG6

Update:

This weekend I deleted about 500K of files from my Charter web space and my weather computer images are now being fully accepted and uploaded. The total accumulated file size on my web space is now about 7MB and if I increase it up to about 7.4MB my files get rejected again. Interestingly, I received a telephone call from a Charter rep who left a message on my answering machine concerning this thread, but the message got cut off before she got too many words out. I've called back the number on my callerID and anticipate learning more tomorrow. In the meantime, things are working ok now, but I'm still not sure why Charter is reporting my web space usage at 20MB when in actuality it is about 7MB.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958

Premium Member

Please do post back what ever you may find out for future references.
DG6
New Hartford, CT

DG6

So, here is the final outcome. I posted this thread on the Charter Direct forum here, which I just found yesterday. Within hours, I had a response saying I had 12MB of gif files and that I needed to delete some of them to make space. This made no sense since the directory files only add up to 7MB total, and besides, I'm allowed 20MB data anyway. I asked for further clarification on the matter and today, received a telephone from a rep at Charter saying that their tool was wrong and I was correct all along. They had erroneously reprted my web space usage too high. Wow! I've been right all along. For more than a week, every rep in more than 1 continent has been wrong. Only with persistence on my part, and eventually an interested rep on the Charter direct forum, did I get the matter resolved. I tested the FTP just now and it seems to be fine. Now I can animate my gif files on my weather page as they had been many weeks ago! Thanks to an interested Charter rep I am back in business.

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to DG6

Premium Member

to DG6
If you are getting frequent traffic to your site I would recommend getting your own domain. there are several very reasonable hosting companies out there.

I use www.hostinginsiders.com for my sites. its $6.99 a month for unlimited storage,unlimited Transfer & Unlimited Emails.

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01 to DG6

to DG6
thanks for the follow up!

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958 to Bamafan2277

Premium Member

to Bamafan2277
said by Bamafan2277:

If you are getting frequent traffic to your site I would recommend getting your own domain. there are several very reasonable hosting companies out there.

I use www.hostinginsiders.com for my sites. its $6.99 a month for unlimited storage,unlimited Transfer & Unlimited Emails.

But,
If your traffic isn't pushing you over any limits, I'd save that $7 a month!

As OP said earlier also about getting his own domain "which is what I should have done many years ago, before I got over 34,000 hits to my site and people started to depend on it for information