uniqs

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

They didn't lose me

They didn't lose me as I only had streaming and hence the rate remained constant.

For those that had DVD & streaming and their rate doubled, I still think Netflix's deal is way better than ANY other alternative, although if you cancelled to voice your opinion that is fine.

hhawkman
Premium Member
join:2001-02-08
Port Hueneme, CA

hhawkman

Premium Member

I had both DVD/BD and streaming. I dropped the disc side because of the rate hike, and I was having a lot of trouble playing the discs. The DVD's were scratched up horribly, The BR's looked ok, but they froze up a lot. (and yes, I tried them in 3 different players).

If the Streaming Selection doesn't get better, I may drop that as well.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck
I stuck with both too.

1 Million loss isn't much and many will probably come back. Not sure why the stock went down. The net revenue might actually go up.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 edit

TheBionic to hhawkman

Premium Member

to hhawkman
I have been a Netflix subscriber since 2005 and had the 2 at a time DVD/BD as well, but had dropped to streaming only a couple of months before the rate hike because I just couldn't find the time to watch the disks. The rate hike really didn't affect me. While I have to go rent blu-rays or brand new releases if I want them, I still find value and convenience with their streaming library.

Edited for grammar and sentence structure.

scott2020
join:2008-07-20
MO

scott2020 to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck
I dumped the DVD and kept streaming for now. The streaming portion seems to get worse, not better. Let's hope the $$ they bring in is put to good use.

We use Redbox now once very 2 weeks or so, sometimes less. I can't pay $8 a month for the added convenience of getting DVD's in the mail, when I walk past a Redbox almost every day. I can get 8 Redbox DVD's for that money.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5 to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
I dropped the DVD also and kept the streaming. I really enjoy it as I watch a lot of old TV. I may come back as a DVD subscriber as I will have more time to watch the DVDs. For the last coup,e of months I had DVDs out for 4 weeks before I got around to watching them so it didn't pay. And there are no Redboxes near me.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
join:2004-03-11
Delray Beach, FL

heat84 to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck
said by Grothendieck:

...I still think Netflix's deal is way better than ANY other alternative...

You forgot Bit Torrent. Not only is it free, but you can probably find any movie every made with little effort.

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

Ah yes, i use torrents for my Big Bang Theory & Community shows fix.

But my statement was towards paid services.
PDXPLT
join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

PDXPLT to heat84

to heat84
said by heat84:

You forgot Bit Torrent. Not only is it free, but you can probably find any movie every made with little effort.

Yea, if you don't mind living with the possibility of getting a letter in the mail demanding thousands of dollars, or getting hit with a lawsuit for even more.

Don't do the crime unless you're prepared to pay the dime...

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to scott2020

Premium Member

to scott2020
said by scott2020:

I dumped the DVD and kept streaming for now. The streaming portion seems to get worse, not better. Let's hope the $$ they bring in is put to good use.

We use Redbox now once very 2 weeks or so, sometimes less. I can't pay $8 a month for the added convenience of getting DVD's in the mail, when I walk past a Redbox almost every day. I can get 8 Redbox DVD's for that money.

That was the same approach I used.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

aztecnology to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
said by Grothendieck:

They didn't lose me as I only had streaming and hence the rate remained constant.

This ^

Thank you Netflix for giving me a 0% price increase on my streaming only option...

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
I dunno. At $4.50/month, I can't really complain about the quantity of the streaming selection that much.
jaymerkramer
join:2002-12-11
Saint Peters, MO

jaymerkramer to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck
Switched over to Blockbuster Online, no extra charge for Bluray and free in store change outs. With the in store change outs I am actually able to get new Bluray releases now instead of waiting for 3 months for in to not be a long wait on Netflix!

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

One, the Blockbusters around me have closed down, or are slated to do so soon. So, the in-store change out means squat.

Two, $10/month for a simple disc rental? If I wouldn't find Netflix $8/month worth my money, why the hell would I pay Blockbuster more?

The only thing I find appealing about the whole offering is the game rentals.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to PDXPLT

to PDXPLT
said by PDXPLT:

said by heat84:

Yea, if you don't mind living with the possibility of getting a letter in the mail demanding thousands of dollars, or getting hit with a lawsuit for even more.

My ISP is Linksys, good luck with that letter. Hope someone around here would bump their speed up it's annoying when they only have 3 -5 megs down.

NPGMBR
join:2001-03-28
Arlington, VA

NPGMBR to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck
They didn't lose me either and I still have my 2 out + streaming plan. The increase was like 5 bucks for me and I offset the increase by cutting my subscription to Showtime. That makes a helluva lot more sense to me than dropping Netflix.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to PDXPLT

to PDXPLT
said by PDXPLT:

said by heat84:

Crime? nothing is stolen. LOL.
Content providers need to find other ways to collect money than just movie, dvd, cable subs, and advertisements.

Buying a DVD involves extra costs I do not want to pay for like manufacturing DVDs, pressing them, packaging, shipping/distribution, warehousing, retail markup etc + the time to rip it after buying.
If the studios do not want to sell non-drm downloads directly then that is their loss.
When you give the customer what they want you get money in return. Whatever they do it needs to be as easy as downloading a torrent.

These guys have been making a good tv show all through donations and no advertising. »www.pioneerone.tv/

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by Oh_No:

Crime? nothing is stolen. LOL.

True, violating copyright isn't stealing, but it is a crime. There's plenty of ways to break the law without theft of material goods.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
I think copyright law should be modified so that if one cannot get access to material via local(with in 30mi), Amazon(or similar internet site) or streamed legal methods then it is no longer wrong to torrent it.

in short of a movie company or music company takes something out of print and you cant get it from a legit streaming service it should no longer be illegal to download it since the IP owner failed in their portion of their ownership of the IP as they failed to make it available.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

I think copyright law should be modified so that if one cannot get access to material via local(with in 30mi), Amazon(or similar internet site) or streamed legal methods then it is no longer wrong to torrent it.

I don't know how many piracy suits would've fallen into this category. Usually the MPAA lawsuit factory program targets mainstream Hollywood productions. I have yet to see of any piracy claims for out-of-region and/or out-of-production movies.

I personally feel you're right though. I try and buy media I feel is worthwhile for purchase. However, if local stores, Amazon, Google, and iTunes/Zune/etc. come up empty...then I look through the "questionable" channels instead.
cyberman2
join:2004-03-09
Birmingham, AL

cyberman2 to heat84

to heat84
Yeah, & it's illegal! God'll get'cha for that! Don't believe in God? Too bad!! 'Cause He's still there & He's still watching you!

Farmer chuck
@teksavvy.com

Farmer chuck to Grothendieck

Anon

to Grothendieck
They lost everyone in Canada due to the lowest caps in the world and also highest overuse fees in the world.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
join:2004-03-11
Delray Beach, FL

heat84 to PDXPLT

to PDXPLT
I've gotten lots of letters, but they've never actually come after me. I rarely download movies anymore anyway. Its mostly TV episodes that I download.

Rambo76098
join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Rambo76098 to jaymerkramer

to jaymerkramer
Hmm, I'm going to have to look into this. Thanks for the heads up.

SiYorCrest
@rr.com

SiYorCrest to Grothendieck

Anon

to Grothendieck

They lost us.

They lost our family, we had a offer from Blockbuster for the same service that we had @ Netflix for only $2.00 more a month than the original amount we were paying Netflix, that was a no brainer decision! It is ironic as we originally were with Blockbuster and then switched to Netflix as they were cheaper, but not anymore. It didn't make any sense to pay more than necessary when you can get the same service for a lot less money.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by SiYorCrest :

They lost our family, we had a offer from Blockbuster for the same service that we had @ Netflix for only $2.00 more a month than the original amount we were paying Netflix, that was a no brainer decision!

Enjoy your third-world streaming options. At least on Netflix, I can *sometimes* find a movie I'm looking for streaming. I've had exactly zilch luck with Blockbuster.

Also, while Netflix might have rotating films (making my selection out-of-rotation), at least their selection ensures there's something interesting on. It might not be what I intended to sit down and watch, but I won't complain.