uniqs

PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

People that cancelled are stupid

Ok, so you like watching movies (either streaming or on your DVD player), netflix's price goes up and you cancel. What now?? What do you do now?? You now have no supply.

Yes, you may drive around to find a RedBox, but isnt that $1 per movie?? How is that better/cheaper than Netflix???

You may also claim: "I am moving over to Hulu+" - Are you serious?? Hulu+ library sucks and it literally only complements Netflix on giving you the "Live TV" experience.

Dont be mad/angry at netflix, be mad at the studios, if they werent jacking up the prices for netflix to stream the content, netflix wouldnt have had to increase their price. Companies are here to make money, not to make customers happy; people forget this all the time...

You may also say "$16" is too much, well my friend, you might have bigger financial problems and should definitively take care of that instead of worrying about watching movies.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned)

Re: People that didnt cancel are stupid

said by PToN:

Companies are here to make money, not to make customers happy; people forget this all the time...

I left the only part of your post that was relevant and true.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to PToN

to PToN

Re: People that cancelled are stupid

said by PToN:

Ok, so you like watching movies (either streaming or on your DVD player), netflix's price goes up and you cancel. What now?? What do you do now?? You now have no supply.

Yes, you may drive around to find a RedBox, but isnt that $1 per movie?? How is that better/cheaper than Netflix???

You may also claim: "I am moving over to Hulu+" - Are you serious?? Hulu+ library sucks and it literally only complements Netflix on giving you the "Live TV" experience.

Dont be mad/angry at netflix, be mad at the studios, if they werent jacking up the prices for netflix to stream the content, netflix wouldnt have had to increase their price. Companies are here to make money, not to make customers happy; people forget this all the time...

You may also say "$16" is too much, well my friend, you might have bigger financial problems and should definitively take care of that instead of worrying about watching movies.

WOW, it never seemed to cross you mind that people might mosey on to the illegal, or gray markets at their option with all the good & bad that potentially has in store for them.... From many people I hear about websites that even cater to streaming 1st run movies far ahead of dvd releases so paid alternatives begin looking less and less customer friendly the higher priced they go.

I just happen to notice Netflix's stock price is $160 a share.. and could imagine that these comments are aimed at managing someone's portfolio rather than really trying to convince someone to stick paying a higher price for content for other purposes. Just with netflix, I can imagine there are "PR trolls" for other large earning corporations such as Apple, Google etc... who do the same kind of blogging & message board posts, but I rarely call them out for what they are..
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned)

Re: People that cancelled are stupid

This whole article is nothing more than a PR/damage control for netflix.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to PToN

to PToN
Piracy is the default. Information is free. Netflix was able to erode the piracy market by providing a low-cost product that was superior in some ways. Now that the studios have consolidated their power to bend the world to their perverse will and remove any website or user from the internet they are more confident in their pricing ability.

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul to PToN

to PToN
Because the streaming selection isn't worth the price it is offered for so we canceled it. We still have the DVD section, but are evaluating Blockbuster's offer at this time.

We use Bluray so that matters. We're also evaluating going to a single disk on either BB or Netflix and using Redbox to supplement.

It all is based on your consumption.

You may think $16 isn't much, but many times those who are in good financial shape got there by using fiscal discipline on all their financial matters. It all adds up.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to PToN

to PToN
said by PToN:

I think that you miss the people who like movies but have their financial limits, so they do without. Yes, if $16 is going to break you, then you have bigger problems, but it isn't just that $16; it's all the other little charges that people encounter that start to add up. For example, I just had to pay a car tag renewal, plus I just found that my city garbage fee is about to increase, and I need to have some storm windows fixed, and my quarterly bill from the termite inspection company is coming soon, etc. No one bill is a burden, but these things wear you down after a while.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to PToN

MVM

to PToN

People that cancelled are stupid

The best way to have people read what you write is to call them stupid. You know nothing about the million of people that are expected to cancel.
said by PToN:

So why should we be mad at the studios? They are here to make money too!

I'm not mad at Netflix. I'm was not happy with the increase, but I understand why they did it. Regardless, I still let my dollars do my talking when I canceled my subscription.

$16 isn't going to make or break me. But it's not worth it at that price for me any longer. It's 16 movies from RedBox, probably more movies than what the average Netflix customer gets in DVDs a month anyways.
rifleman69
join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR

rifleman69 to PToN

to PToN
said by PToN:

You do know that the 60% increase is the reason why people left Netflix, not that the price is still only $16 which many people can still afford easily. It's the principle of the matter. That's $16 of which I can spend at my leisure at Blockbuster Express, which is more than the amount of movies I'd watch in a month.

Advantage, consumer.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
said by PToN:

Something that begins with "Pirate", and ends in "Bay". Or "Bit" and "Torrent". There's a bunch of other ones out there.
said by PToN:

Not everyone feels Netflix DVD + Streaming is worth paying $192 for the year.

Augustus III
If Only Rome Could See Us Now....
join:2001-01-25
Gainesville, GA

Augustus III to PToN

to PToN
said by PToN:

i download them. you mad?

fldiver2011
@comcast.net

fldiver2011 to PToN

Anon

to PToN
dslLOL, 2 words, "Amazon Prime"

Rambo76098
join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Rambo76098 to PToN

to PToN
Redbox is better/cheaper than Netflix now because I usually got 1 DVD a week from Netflix, which cost $8/mo, but also included streaming. Now that it doesn't, I can still get 1 DVD a week, but only pay $4/mo from Redbox.

It was worth it when streaming was included, but now I'll just use my time in better ways and not waste it on TV. I can't justify $20/mo for what they are offering. Plus, I can drop my internet connection down a tier from 15/1 to 8/1 and save $10/mo (upgraded it so 2 users could stream at the same time). So by dropping Netflix, I can save $360 a year. That's more than two mortgage payments for me. Or two years of motorcycle insurance.

PS - I don't have cable. Too expensive.