All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
haggishelper
join:2010-03-31
Mesa, AZ

haggishelper to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer

Re: What Is Your Opinion Of The 50mbps Service?

Caps are a necessary item, found with a majority of ISP's that provide data services to protect the network from one bad apple spoiling the bunch. Larger ISP's sometimes have larger CAP's however CableOne's Rural America business model often provides service to small to mid sized towns and is not comparable to your Comcast or Cox. If you went over a 100GB in a 1 month period you would be at the top 5% of users in the CableOne network.
On average an HD movie is roughly 1GB per 1hr of video. Standard Def (SD) is about .25 GB per 1hr (depending on the resolution.) Gaming, general web surfing, email w/o attachments are just a drop in the bucket when it comes to your total bandwidth consumption.

CableOne offers a Bandwidth Usage Estimator from the customer facing help site, here is the link:
»www.cableone.net/Pages/d ··· tor.html

Perhaps this will help you identify your internet data habits or perhaps point to an unsecured WiFi that your neighbor is using to leech off you.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

In that case, I guess I'll be forced to upgrade to the 300 GB 50 meg business class tier whenever I move. I shouldn't have to pay $100+ for internet when I don't even run a business and I'm just a residential user... or I can try 5 meg unlimited business since they don't throttle... Meh. This just isn't right.

Then again, U-verse has made its way into my area. Guess I've got more choices, heheh.

jasonkradiog
@cableone.net

jasonkradiog to haggishelper

Anon

to haggishelper
said by haggishelper:

Caps are a necessary item, found with a majority of ISP's that provide data services to protect the network from one bad apple spoiling the bunch.

There was one month I had a number of things to download both for work and pleasure. Seemed like I was using the connection a lot. At the end, apparently, I downloaded 1.5TB in that month. That's not the "norm" for me. This month, I think I'm only about a quarter of that, but any month, we do use the Internet a LOT. There are two of us here, and we're both online a LOT. We work and play mostly from home.

But how did I "spoil the bunch"? That's ridiculous! I mean how is that a comparison? Using the service thats being provided and paid for didn't hurt anybody... There were other services involved that provided me the data to consume from their end (Netflix, Astraweb, etc). None of them complained of my usage...

areoh
join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

areoh

Don't get me started... :/ Give me some time... Testin'....

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

1 edit

Pashune to jasonkradiog

Premium Member

to jasonkradiog
1.5 TB is one, heck of a pay load to be pushing. My concern wouldn't be the bandwidth being currently used, but how much bandwidth per gig it's costing CableOne, unless they own their backbone, in which case, they've got nothing to complain about and you shouldn't be concerned.

Chances are you probably didn't spoil anyone in the bunch. What tier are you on? I'm on 10 meg here, regularly pushing close to 200 GB per month now. I seriously doubt I'm disturbing anyone on my node; whenever I had to call tech support, they were always telling me how quiet my node is, and that was before my area was even upgraded to DOCSIS 3.. so now there's even MORE bandwidth available to everyone in my neighborhood. What's the problem? And why did they get rid of the 10 meg tier in favor of 5 meg, which is now the same price as 10 meg was? Backwards trend much? I couldn't stand being on 5 meg for long. I would get throttled almost every single day; I AM NOT going to work around some stupid schedule because your AUP assumes we're all on overloaded nodes, which, by the way, is more your fault than anything. All ISPs need to be prepared for traffic increases; gradually tweaking their systems, splitting nodes when needed, etc. Using caps and clever marketing are band aid fixes. Customers are becoming more aware and many of us will not stand for it.

My thought on CableOne's new tier pricing still stands; it's a money grab. They want to look better among the other ISPs by having higher speeds, but severely limiting them with low caps. This would imply that CableOne really doesn't have the bandwidth for today's generation of internet users and/or they really just want the money. They think we're all still interested in the garbage known as TV, because let me tell ya, I enjoy watching that reality garbage and I need my sports fix.

Most of what I watch is online-only based exclusives and Netflix content. CableOne's channel selection has always been mediocre and their on-demand content has nothing of interest to me. My usage is typical of a residential network with multiple internet-savvy users. I don't run a server, I just use the internet for all of my media needs.

jasonkradiog
@cableone.net

jasonkradiog

Anon

I've heard bandwidth only averages out to be cents per GB to the ISP's. But I know numbers can be twisted into any direction and I'm not sure thats fact. But I'm sure they are profiting or they would be complaining. I pay $53/month which is a lot more than AT&T's $19 promo offers they are always sending me in the mail.

I'm on the 10 plan. My 1.5TB month was even back when we were all throttled (and I was using a wireless router that only gave me 50% of the advertised speed!). Just seems like things kept turning up for me to do online, and then my girlfriend also has this job where she has to stay connected via webcam the entire time and remote control systems pretty much everyday. I'm sure we use a full share. But it's not intentional or wasteful. We're just a set of strong Internet users.

Oddly enough I think I've used a lot less bandwidth since they've stopped throttling lol

Not on purpose. Just how its worked out lately. I haven't been downloading as much as there hasn't been too much to download. And because there are so many nice fairs lately, we've been spending more time outdoors and less time with streaming video, etc.