uniqs

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

2 recommendations

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Facebook now wants your personal phone number....

Click for full size
Click for full size
Or no log in for you. Wow is all I can say and that is where I draw the line on my account. What is next. Home address?

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn

Premium Member

Not seeing that here.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

1 edit

redwolfe_98 to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
i went to "facebook" and logged in.. it didn't ask me to give them my phone number in order to be able to login..

i don't think it would be right for "facebook" to ask us for our phone numbers, for a "security check"..

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to KoRnGtL15

MVM

to KoRnGtL15
Saw something similar once and clicked my start page again a couple of times then didn't see it anymore.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to chrisretusn

MVM

to chrisretusn
said by chrisretusn:

Not seeing that here.

Same here - have never seen it and I log in a couple times a day.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
I have an account with minimum faked information so I can see facebook pages of stuff like local TV stations, various companies etc.

I didn't see any such notice when I logged in. Based on the fact that others haven't seen this, it may be because you have added a Facebook app to a smartphone - or you could be phished.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

2 edits

1 recommendation

goalieskates to chrisretusn

Premium Member

to chrisretusn
said by chrisretusn:

Not seeing that here.

Yet, maybe?

According to Facebook help you need to provide your phone number to "verify" your account.

Which I wouldn't do, but then, I don't have FB either.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I first saw that over a year ago. Found it could be easily bypassed by clicking on Home.

Eventually it went away and have not seen it for quite some time.

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

1 recommendation

lotusracer to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
I think they want to convince you to do it as a "security" measure, in case you get locked out of your account somehow, but I've certainly never seen that message pop up.

I don't plan on giving them my number, it's not even on my page anywhere.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to goalieskates

MVM

to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

According to Facebook help you need to provide your phone number to "verify" your account.

Which I wouldn't do, but then, I don't have FB either.

Doesn't say it is mandatory though according to the link "After you confirm your email address, you can verify your account. Verifying your account gives you the ability to do more on Facebook, like register a username."

Agent Smith2
join:2008-07-07
New York

Agent Smith2 to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I got that and i had my fb for 2 yrs happenend like 4 or 5 months ago could not bypass but i just put # in anyways dont care though.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Many thoughts come to mind.

In some ways this COULD be a good thing for security - the single largest negative issue that I and many others have against joining FB.

But those who are already members could feel angry if they HAD to provide it in order to continue....

Is this only for NEW accounts ?

And what if you have no phone and do everything online ?

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Click for full size
It is being persistent and still won't let me in the account. Even trying to "bypass" it going back home.
Expand your moderator at work

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

2 recommendations

Mike to KoRnGtL15

Mod

to KoRnGtL15

Re: Facebook now wants your personal phone number....

Google Voice.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

It is being persistent and still won't let me in the account. Even trying to "bypass" it going back home.

Your using a phone number that has already been used on a FB account. It says so right on that screen shot.

I've gotten this before in the past and always ignored it. Just click your bookmark again or enter it directly in the address bar again and go there and it will go to FB.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Agent Smith2

to Agent Smith2

Well just enter all 0's if you cant bypass it by entering nothing at all (Which i did on my gmail acct (Entered nothing and clicked ADD))

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
Philippines

chrisretusn to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15

Re: Facebook now wants your personal phone number....

Perhaps you have done something that is causing Facebook to question the validity of your account.
chrisretusn

chrisretusn to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion
said by dandelion:

Doesn't say it is mandatory though according to the link "After you confirm your email address, you can verify your account. Verifying your account gives you the ability to do more on Facebook, like register a username."

It may not say it's mandatory but the screen shot posted by the OP doesn't show and option to skip it. I've been asked to provide my mobile number but not like this and I was given a choice to opt-out of that.

I've registered a username, no mobile number required. That option became available a couple of weeks after joining Facebook.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to chrisretusn

Premium Member

to chrisretusn
Not sure what it would be. I have had the account for well over a year and don't use it that much.
unoriginal
Premium Member
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

unoriginal to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
I've had Gmail ask me for a phone number as well in case someone hijacks my account. I simply gave them my Google Voice number and took care of it that way.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
give it the rejection hotline number in chicago, IL. Problem solved..

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4 to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Had similar 3 months ago.
Used a link in Facebook associated E-mail account to access Facebook and attempted to login that way.
It offered me another option to authenticate account by naming computer at login and saving that option with E-mailed reports of login attemtps to account.
They may have done away with this......Lets hope not.
It seems to generate this when different computers from different address login to account.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

2 recommendations

NetFixer to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Have you tried a different browser and/or tried logging on from a different PC (or other FB compatible device)?

Have you tried clearing all FB related cookies from your PC?

Have you tried clearing the browser's cache and/or flushing the DNS client cache?

I don't know what kind of Internet access you have, but if uses a dynamic IP address, and you can get a new IP address by something as simple as resetting your modem, you might also give that a try.

The above suggestions are based on the assumption that this is something specific to your account, and not some new FB policy that truly is not avoidable (except by doing what I do):

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
Philippines

chrisretusn to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
NetFixer See Profile came up with the best advise so far. Have you deleted your facebook.com cookies and cleared your cache?

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
Tried all of that and no soap. I am on cable and do have a dynamic ip. I am stumped. Long shot. Maybe it is my mvps host file blocking something? Or spywareblaster, adblock plus? I use all 3. Then again. I tried with IE9 and nothing. I think someone at FB has done something to my account for some uknown reason.
said by NetFixer:

Have you tried a different browser and/or tried logging on from a different PC (or other FB compatible device)?

Have you tried clearing all FB related cookies from your PC?

Have you tried clearing the browser's cache and/or flushing the DNS client cache?

I don't know what kind of Internet access you have, but if uses a dynamic IP address, and you can get a new IP address by something as simple as resetting your modem, you might also give that a try.

The above suggestions are based on the assumption that this is something specific to your account, and not some new FB policy that truly is not avoidable (except by doing what I do):

[att=1]

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by KoRnGtL15:

Tried all of that and no soap. I am on cable and do have a dynamic ip. I am stumped. Long shot. Maybe it is my mvps host file blocking something? Or spywareblaster, adblock plus? I use all 3. Then again. I tried with IE9 and nothing. I think someone at FB has done something to my account for some uknown reason.

In that case (since nobody here seems to be having the phone number problem), my guess would be that perhaps someone had been repeatedly trying to log in with your credentials, and FB is truly using that as a pseudo security measure in an attempt to verify your identity. However, unless they already have your cell phone number on file (and they do seem to asking for a mobile phone number), I can't see how they can really use that to identify you, especially since they say they won't call you. I wonder if they have agreements with all cell phone service providers to get access to their customer records? Come to think of it, such a deal between FB and cell phone service providers would not surprise me, especially considering that FB access is a major app and selling point for newer cell phones.

In a similar vein, not too long ago my wife got internet access to her checking account locked because she forgot that she had recently changed her password, and tried using her old password too many times. In order to get the bank to reset her password, she had to call in from her cell phone (it was listed on her account as her primary phone number), and the support tech used the caller ID as one of the security checks. She initially tried calling from one of our VoIP lines, but she was told that she would either have to use her cell phone, or physically go to a branch bank and provide visual proof of identity.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Yeah its really odd. I never provided my cell phone number to facebook. And I never will. Guess I just lose the account.
said by NetFixer:

said by KoRnGtL15:

In that case (since nobody here seems to be having the phone number problem), my guess would be that perhaps someone had been repeatedly trying to log in with your credentials, and FB is truly using that as a pseudo security measure in an attempt to verify your identity. However, unless they already have your cell phone number on file (and they do seem to asking for a mobile phone number), I can't see how they can really use that to identify you, especially since they say they won't call you. I wonder if they have agreements with all cell phone service providers to get access to their customer records? Come to think of it, such a deal between FB and cell phone service providers would not surprise me, especially considering that FB access is a major app and selling point for newer cell phones.

In a similar vein, not too long ago my wife got internet access to her checking account locked because she forgot that she had recently changed her password, and tried using her old password too many times. In order to get the bank to reset her password, she had to call in from her cell phone (it was listed on her account as her primary phone number), and the support tech used the caller ID as one of the security checks. She initially tried calling from one of our VoIP lines, but she was told that she would either have to use her cell phone, or physically go to a branch bank and provide visual proof of identity.

Tappedout
@rr.com

Tappedout to KoRnGtL15

Anon

to KoRnGtL15
You entered something incorrect and the system wants you confirm your identity, did you do the email confirm thing? Could be that someone has taken over your account and changed your password.

The only time FB would ask for your phone number is if you entered it as a confirmation option so they ask to confirm your identity.
The phone number confirmation is 100% optional.
PittsPgh
Premium Member
join:2003-08-21
Pittsburgh, PA

PittsPgh to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Here is what it says on the page to set up your phone number.

Mobile Settings
Already received a confirmation code?
Confirm

Share my phone number with my friends

Allow friends to text me from Facebook
Activating allows Facebook Mobile to send text messages to your phone. You can receive notifications for friend requests, messages, Wall posts, and status updates from your friends.
You can also update your status, search for phone numbers, or upload photos and videos from your phone.
Add a Phone
Learn more about using Facebook on your phone at Facebook Mobile.

Nah, I don't need my number plastered all over Facebook. or them bugging me. I rarely use the Facebook account anyhow.

Paul