Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

I missed that post by 17775992 See Profile until just now. Sorry.

Like dude1111 See Profile I too consider DSLReports safe and secure as far as selling user information, etc.

I haven't been asked for a photo of myself. I haven't had to provide my real name here nor have I ever been asked for a cell phone number or my home address, etc. My antivirus forum demands my full real name and address starting about a year ago and that is not even a "social" website (nor is this site in the strictest sense but in some ways it is a social website).

DSLR stands almost alone on the net of large, popular websites that allow anon posting. If Justin wanted to secretly sell our information (if it were asked for) I don't think his site would allow anon posters. That stance has been in place since the beginning of this site and is a good indicator of the stance of the site and its owner regarding the mining of personal information.

I do wish one little thing though. When is Justin going to fix the password problem?
17775992 (banned)
join:2011-11-16
Chicago, IL

17775992 (banned)

I guess you have not paid attention to the Google and Google-analytic scripts that collect information(you have no-script blocking them right?).

Facebook has NEVER asked for any of my personal information or for me to prove I am who I say I am, never required to post a real picture of me or my real location.

There is NO SUCH THING of truly anon posting on Internet anywhere.

1 recommendation

17775992 (banned) to 19579823

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

Do you consider DSLReports safe and secure? More than Facebook?
More than any social website anywhere?
Yes I do

1) THEY DON'T ASK FOR PERSONAL INFO
2) THEY DON'T FORCE YOUR REAL NAME
3) THEY DON'T WANT YOUR PHOTO

Thats just 3 right there!

Neither does Facebook ....
Real Name, kinda defeats the purpose of joining Facebook not joining with your real name or what most people know you as.
NO WHERE do they require you to post any personal information but again kinda defeats the purpose of joining Facebook not giving your real location.
Loads of non-paranoid people have posted their pictures here, again not required on Facebook.
The OPTION of listing your phone number on Facebook is if you don't mind your "friends" knowing your number, or in a separate area if you have problems logging on or if there are issues with your account, there is NO requirement to do so in either case.

Life is so much more relaxing not being paranoid.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to 17775992

Premium Member

to 17775992
I have the Google cookies blocked but I haven't seen any attempt to set those in a long time if you have to renew login here. I block Google-analytics (and other Google sites) in my hosts file. Ghostery reports no trackers here.
Expand your moderator at work
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

3 recommendations

dave to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

said by 19579823:

Yes i do

Mind you, you're still leaving a trail a mile wide.

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· me+Dude"

I assume not all these guys are you, but your writing style is distinctive enough to recognize, and you reuse the same avatar a lot. So we can build up a fairly comprehensive picture starting from this here site.

dancingrain
@bell.ca

dancingrain to KoRnGtL15

Anon

to KoRnGtL15

Re: Facebook now wants your personal phone number....

I have run into this exact same issue! I can't access my account until I enter a phone # which I refuse to do and there seems to me no way around it!!! Did you ever find a solution other than having your account disabled? I thought there would be major backlash, etc. but it sounds like it is a rather rare thing??

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

This does not happen according to some "people" in here. Remember? I was even told to be a flat out liar. Any ways. No way around it. They send you a number to verify the account once you put in a phone number. Can't use a fake one since you need the number. Either provide it. Or it will be disabled. I refused to give them my number and it is still disabled right now. And once they disable it. If you want it back. They want a copy of state issue id/license to prove it is "you".
said by dancingrain :

I have run into this exact same issue! I can't access my account until I enter a phone # which I refuse to do and there seems to me no way around it!!! Did you ever find a solution other than having your account disabled? I thought there would be major backlash, etc. but it sounds like it is a rather rare thing??

91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
has facebook ever been on the news with horror storys of pedophiles or serial killers or stalkers being caught on there and arrested AFTER they have commited several crimes and its already to late ?

im asking cuz i recently found out some youngish people in our family have gotten accounts there an better get informed so i can put a stop to them getting on facebook

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to 17775992

Premium Member

to 17775992

Re:  

said by 17775992:

Facebook has NEVER asked for any of my personal information or for me to prove I am who I say I am, never required to post a real picture of me or my real location.

They just have not gotten around to you yet, but since you have now posted about it (they do have a few members to go through so it's not like there are only a dozen to compare to). Karma says you will likely end up like the OP and several others sooner than you may have wished. Karma has a wonderful way of making people eat crow.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

If you deep fry crow, it tastes like turkey.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by AVD:

If you deep fry crow, it tastes like turkey.

mmmmm! deep fried crow!
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to 19579823

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

No your not,I DONT HAVE ONE EITHER (I value my privacy)

Ditto! I have an aversion to being ripped off. Most folks obviously don't mind dealing with the crooks that sell cell phone services - but I am not a sheep!
Expand your moderator at work
91862239 (banned)
Brownsville, TX

to KoRnGtL15

korn there is a way around the cell phone problem go down to wallmart buy a 20 dollar cell phone use it for facebook problem solved

Freebird
@comcast.net

Freebird to KoRnGtL15

Anon

to KoRnGtL15
For those of you that made previous comments, stating that Facebook is not requiring people to enter a valid phone number, to gain access to their Facebook account, you are very and completely wrong. Facebook is in fact requiring people to provide a valid phone number, in order to access their account. If a phone number is not provided, you will not be able to access your account. If a phone number is not provided within 30 days of last log in attempt, your account will become obsolete and be inaccessible. This requirement by Facebook is totally unprofessional and should be banned. I hope that the proper authorities put a stop to this invasion of privacy.
Freebird

Freebird to 91862239

Anon

to 91862239
I'm not sure that a prepaid cell phone will work, if that is what you are referring to. VIOP will not work for me.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

carpetshark3 to 17775992

Premium Member

to 17775992

Re:  

Why should you give FB your real name? My friends know who I am and they are the only ones allowed to see either FB, Twitter or Flickr.
Friends post kids pics, so I read stuff there. Better than the damn Walgreens photo albums they both use.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Freebird

Premium Member

to Freebird

If there is such desire to have an account with FB, then open a new one and forget about the current one. Treat the new one as it will be closed sooner or later and be ready to open a new account by then... If that's the rule FB wants you to play (and if you actually want to play with FB) - just do it. What's wrong with that?
91862239 (banned)
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to Freebird

to Freebird
ya prepaid cell will work it should all you do is get the phone activate it then give fb the number then just wait for the txt messge from fb i know i use prepaid cells for lots of stuff easy to get rid off to

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
So to summarize, either you give in to FB's demands or they force you to become a criminal?

Yeesh. Isn't that entrapment?
quote:
inducing a person to commit an offense that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
OK... I've managed to stay out of this thread until now, since I'm not a Facebook user (and have no intention of becoming one) - so I don't really have a pony in the race. But I'm trying to understand a point of view that keeps emerging in this and most of the past FB-related threads... namely that it's somehow "wrong" for FB to demand a phone number or some other personally-identifying information to open/maintain a FB account.

If I were to purchase a service or product somewhere on the Internet (either with or without a EULA indicating some of my personal data would be shared), would I not expect to have to unmistakeably identify myself and/or provide information if I elected to proceed? Suppose the purchase price was zero (as in the case of most of the software give-away offers that pop up by 'name' companies from time to time)... would I not still have to go through an information-submittal process as well? (Hint: the answer is "yes", because that's how those offers do work.)

Now, Facebook is providing a no-charge "social network" service (paying for it with user information and/or ads served to the user). Sometimes that service gets abused by unpleasant folks, and problems then arise in other people's lives. Why is there an expectation that users are entitled to the no-charge service without providing any information or identification? And, more significantly, why is FB "wrong" in demanding account-applicant identification, in whatever sense of the word "wrong"? Once again, I'm not trying to launch an argument... I'm merely trying to get a handle on the reasoning behind such opinions I see so often expressed.

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

If I were to purchase a service or product somewhere on the Internet (either with or without a EULA indicating some of my personal data would be shared), would I not expect to have to unmistakeably identify myself and/or provide information if I elected to proceed?.......

.....why is FB "wrong" in demanding account-applicant identification,....

Facebook has broken promises in regards to how it would handle users data in the past.
For this reason i don't think demanding a new avenue to screw with, such as your phone no. is fair. A copy of your license with some identity points omitted is reasonable.
Of course you can always give them as much info as you as you like/trust them with.

Freebird
@comcast.net

Freebird to OZO

Anon

to OZO
The problem with creating a new FB account is, for every new account that is created a "different" valid phone number is required. I highly doubt that the average person has multiple phone numbers, especially phone numbers that they would willingly put in the hands of the morons that are in charge of FB. FB management has already proven that they are irresponsible in several areas of managing FB. I can't see FB being responsible enough and trustworthy enough to be trusted in keeping private phone numbers, private. How many people are willing to take that risk?
Freebird

Freebird to Blackbird

Anon

to Blackbird
Do you trust people that you have never met or ever laid eyes on before, with your personal private information, such as SS# or credit card number? I think that a private phone number falls into the same category. That's why it's called, "private." Also, FYI, One thing that FB neglects to tell people before entering their phone number is, when a phone number is used for FB identity, it is posted for public access on their account, until the owner of the FB account goes into their security settings and chooses the option to make it private.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

2 recommendations

dave

Premium Member

said by Freebird :

Do you trust people that you have never met or ever laid eyes on before, with your personal private information, such as SS# or credit card number?

Actually, yes. Just the other day I typed my credit card number into an airline web site. In fact, more often than the converse, I give my credit card number to someone unknown that I've never met. In most of the other cases, I give it to someone I'll never meet again. That sort of thing seems to be intrinsic to having a credit card to use.
91862239 (banned)
Brownsville, TX

to KoRnGtL15
facebook is a social website like myspace a place for people to meet and do stuff not a online shop your personal info on facebook will be viewed by every one becuase facebook will take that info an put it in your profile that most people dont know how to setup an use the privacy settings to protect themselfs against pedos stakers or serial killers i been reading about fb there have already been kidnappings an rapings happening at fb just google it

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

said by 91862239:

facebook is a social website like myspace a place for people to meet and do stuff not a online shop your personal info on facebook will be viewed by every one becuase facebook will take that info an put it in your profile that most people dont know how to setup an use the privacy settings to protect themselfs against pedos stakers or serial killers i been reading about fb there have already been kidnappings an rapings happening at fb just google it

Delmar; punctuation, and spell check is your friend. Trust me on this.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

Suppose the purchase price was zero (as in the case of most of the software give-away offers that pop up by 'name' companies from time to time)... would I not still have to go through an information-submittal process as well? (Hint: the answer is "yes", because that's how those offers do work.)

Now, Facebook is providing a no-charge "social network" service (paying for it with user information and/or ads served to the user). Why is there an expectation that users are entitled to the no-charge service without providing any information or identification? And, more significantly, why is FB "wrong" in demanding account-applicant identification, in whatever sense of the word "wrong"?

I can't speak for current joiners of the web. But for those of us who joined when I did (98) or earlier, I think most of us didn't know what hit us when the web changed from Web1 to Web2. I think some still don't know. I can't fathom why Facebook needs my real identity and besides needing it feels compelled to post it for everyone to see. Why can't I just be "Mele20" or "DottieArtiist3", etc. at Facebook? Why on earth would I be forced to give my real name, a real photo of myself and/or a private, unlisted phone number? That is utterly absurd to me as a person who "came of web age" during Web1.

As for purchasing software that may be free during a special offer, why wouldn't you lie? I would lie without a second thought in regards to my real name, real address, phone number, email address (for the latter I would give a short time lived self destruct alias address or a throw away one that would trace me to another nation). Before purchasing software (assuming there was no free offer), I would trial it and I would not give my real name and address for a trial! If I decided at the end of the trial to purchase it, THEN AND ONLY THEN would I need to give my credit card information. And I would not give it unless the vendor had assured me that it would be kept confidential and I trusted that vendor.

What I can't understand is why anyone (even those coming of web age during Web2) would feel they need to put their full name, address, phone number, personal real photo of themselves, on a social website in order to use that website to communicate with friends and family. You would just lie if the site demanded stupid things like your real name and your unlisted phone number. You would keep your page closed to all except your friends and family and they would have to agree to address you either by your handle or first name only and not publish any information that could be used to trace to the real you. But your friends and family would know who your handle represented. This could be extended, if you decided, to anyone on that social network. This is how it was during Web1 days. What happened so suddenly to make many embrace Web2 and enthusiastically give up very fast all privacy that they had on Web1 and that was expected on it? People's minds got corrupted really fast. I keep wondering what Koolaid did so many people drink and how were they induced so rapidly to drink it?

There are still many like myself though. Avira reversed their earlier mandate at their forum that was discussed in this forum on more than one occasion. Avira made it impossible, about 2 years back, for any member to change anything in their profile until they gave their real full name and other identifying information. This mandate included all those using Avira FREE version. Those of us who registered there many years ago were told that if we did not supply our full real names, addresses, etc that we would not only not be able to make changes in our profiles but would be in gross violation of the TOS and subject to ejection from the forum (even though some of us had thousands of posts there and had demonstrated good faith). We were also told that we could not lie about our date of birth. So, for close to two years, I could not change my profile and it got really outdated. We had threads protesting this in the Avira forum and here. Recently, Avira shut down the forum for most of a day to upgrade the software. The new forum no longer makes any mention of a full real name requirement. I still list only a first name handle there yet now I can make all changes to my profile. User's who protest Web2's utter disregard for the user's privacy and anonymity sometimes win still.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

1 edit

Cheese

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

said by Blackbird:

Suppose the purchase price was zero (as in the case of most of the software give-away offers that pop up by 'name' companies from time to time)... would I not still have to go through an information-submittal process as well? (Hint: the answer is "yes", because that's how those offers do work.)

Now, Facebook is providing a no-charge "social network" service (paying for it with user information and/or ads served to the user). Why is there an expectation that users are entitled to the no-charge service without providing any information or identification? And, more significantly, why is FB "wrong" in demanding account-applicant identification, in whatever sense of the word "wrong"?

As for purchasing software that may be free during a special offer, why wouldn't you lie? I would lie without a second thought in regards to my real name, real address, phone number, email address (for the latter I would give a short time lived self destruct alias address or a throw away one that would trace me to another nation).

Because most people aren't like you and don't feel the need to lie to try to "hide"....most people aren't PARANOID like you. The fact that you advocate lying, is pretty sickening.