hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to KoRnGtL15

Re: Facebook now wants your personal phone number....

Account is not protected, click here to protect.

What is protected so far.
To bring this discussion back to a little more as to the OP, it seems that this is a new thing with Facebook.

I encountered this over a year ago as a "Security" feature. I gave some info but not a working phone number. I then no longer saw the "reminders".

Now I see on some Facebook pages a Notice that "My Security" is not secure - see image 1. Clicking on that image gives me image 2, showing what I have completed.

My conclusion that what the OP is encountering is unique to him/her or a class that falls within. Also that FB is becoming a Multiple Personality or Schizoid. Old accounts are treated differently than new accounts, where you log on affects what you see as to challenge questions and more.

TwighlightLA
Premium
join:2010-07-03
reply to KoRnGtL15
In regards the topic and not directed to ANY specific poster:

Does Facebook require you to give a phone number, (presumably its yours they ask for if they do.) Yes or no!

Forget the blah, blah, blah, yes it does, no is doesn't blah, blah. Which is it? If there are specific conditions to yes it does what specifically are they?

Twenty five words or less on point please! Nothing more.

Thank you.

We will now resume normal programing.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

1 recommendation

said by TwighlightLA:

Does Facebook require you to give a phone number, (presumably its yours they ask for if they do.) Yes or no!

NO!!!!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to TwighlightLA
There is a host of info I do not provide - phone number is one of them...

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to TwighlightLA
said by TwighlightLA:

Twenty five words or less on point please! Nothing more.

Thank you.

It depends.

I have an account for old High School Friends/Co-Workers and another just for Family. Facebook manifests itself differently in each one.

Tappedout

@rr.com
reply to TwighlightLA
said by TwighlightLA:

NO, the only time it will ask is if you set it up as a sign-on/lost password confirmation.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

said by Sparrow:

IF you agree to Facebook's Terms of Use, then sigin up for an account.

IF you do not agree, you don't sign up.

It's not really that simple, is it? This isn't the first time we've seen TOS change - which is the OP's point. He had an account, this cropped up later.

As for the security argument, FB gives away or sells your info to various partners with complete disregard. Not just that of members, but of anyone in their address books. Which makes the security argument pretty ludicrous. And which also makes the price not FREE - you just pay in another way.

From a legal standpoint, that is pretty black and white. As long as a user continues to use a service, regardless of what it is, that user still continues to agree to the TOS for its use.

A company can change the rules whenever it pleases, providing that a binding contract is not in place which applies to both the user and the provider of a service.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M : 6GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Home Premium

TechGeekgUrl

join:2011-10-10
Denver, CO
reply to Doctor Olds
An experiment can be done by people interested in FB's policy regarding phone numbers and setting up accounts. if you are setting up an account and get this message, try backing out refreshing your page,and then re-applying-PRESTO CHANGO-no more requirement for your phone #

This seemingly random requirement is an example to me of FB bad faith towards their users privacy. if you are someone who is looking to game the system than your goal is easily accomplished. if you are a person who just wants to use the service,you get the bad faith from the company from step 1

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
reply to KoRnGtL15
Well FB decided to disable my account since I would not give a phone number.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13

If you really want to keep your account give them a fake # (Better yet give them this: 7125809999 (If they call it,it will tell them what # they are calling from (hehehe)))

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
Yeah I done that. But they send you a code now and you have to verify it.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to KoRnGtL15

said by KoRnGtL15:

Well FB decided to disable my account since I would not give a phone number.

That happened to me a couple years and wanted proof from me to reactivate my account.
--
Ant @ »antfarm.ma.cx and »aqfl.net. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use the forum! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to KoRnGtL15

Re:  

said by KoRnGtL15:

Yeah I done that. But they send you a code now and you have to verify it.

Complain.....they don't really need it.
Secret questions, verification through email etc.
How would ph no. verify acc. if they do not already have it????
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Now is the not right time to stop folding."

boston2376

@comcast.net

Re:  national facebook account cancellation day

wow this same thing that happened to the OP has in fact happened to me ,and korngtl15 is exactly right ,all the people here suggesting that you give a fake number do not realize that it says that you need to provide them a phone number so they can either call you or text you and give you a confirmation code, i have never seen this until today, and i like the other poster who said he uses it for the airport wifi , am in a similar situation, as i have no mobile phone, and i have not provided my real info to FB i hate FB and have ne desire to participate in that crap, but i do use it for 1 reason and that is because alot of sites let you use your FB account to log in to their site without having to register ,it is much easier than having to register and have a username and password for every site you want to post on ,but now it seem i cant do that, as it will not let me log in without providing a valid phone number where a code can be sent to me, and i have googled and not found any information about this ,this is pretty much the only place, you would think that millions of people would be pissed and there would be a major main stream media story about this change ,so where is it? is this something new? did just go into effect today? or is it being incrementally rolled out?i am furious with this BS, and i would advise everyone to boycott FB and cancel their account, we can abandon FB and migrate to another form of social networking, just like people did with myspace, but i would suggest it is not some site owned by a major corporation, certainly not anything by google, or microsoft or apple if they decide to get in that game ,let it be a small start up ,

unless here is what could happen ,(another post i made on the topic elsewhere)

get the F out of here people need to really stat to wise up to whats going on ,the governement wants to put in a total police state control grid ,and internet id cards is an idea they would love to implement and have talking about and working on for years now, so are micro chipping the population and going to a cashless system so they can track everywhere you go ,everything you do,and everything you buy,everyone you interact with,and create dossier's on all citizens, its worse than east germany already and it will get worse if people keep going along. they will not even need to chip you now,not with the new facial recognition and "gate recognition"software that can id you by your face or the way you walk,they could combine that with fingerprint id, iris scan, and other biometric scans to replace cash and track you everyplace you go ,your every movement will be recorded and put in a database,they will try and use the methods i said for an alternative to microchipping us,either permanently,or until they can get everyone to accept a chip,just like they will continue to use stuff like this phone # and CC verification until they can get the people to accept an internet id card/biometric system, then make it mandatory for you to use an internet id card combined with biometric scanning to use the internet,then mandatory to scan your chip and your biometric information to use the internet, theses people are incrementalists ,they will steal your freedom little by little so nobody will notice and speak out enough get a momentum behind stopping them they are control freaks bent on enslaving all of us ,everyone needs to cancel their FB account, we can replace it,just like myspace was abandon for FB,we can abandon FB for some other form of social media one that is not run by some greedy control freak who is working with the corporate fascist system toward their goal of enslaving and controlling us

Razzy12345

@rr.com
reply to KoRnGtL15

Lies~

I have FB account along with my girlfriend. We both never entered our cell numbers there.. and our accounts are still active...

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

Click for full size
I have no reason to lie on this. It just has not happened to you yet. It will eventually though as it is happening to others. Like I said. My account is officially disabled by them. I refuse to give them a personal phone number for "verification". And you need the code they text/call you with. Before when the screen came up. You could just skip it or bypass it. And that still might be the case. But, I guess when FB decides enough is enough with you not giving a phone number. You either give it or get the account disabled.

said by Razzy12345 :

Lies~

I have FB account along with my girlfriend. We both never entered our cell numbers there.. and our accounts are still active...

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
They can't verify what they don't have.... They don't have any of my phone numbers, so they can't verify anything with it.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by CylonRed:

They can't verify what they don't have.... They don't have any of my phone numbers, so they can't verify anything with it.

You are assuming that FB does not have access to telco customer records to verify who is paying the bill for the telephone number that is supplied. Data mining is after all, FB's area of expertise.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

If you don't have FB on a mobile device, how can they track?
I rooted, unlocked the phone and deleted FB and any other social media. Since we are cell only ----

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by carpetshark3:

If you don't have FB on a mobile device, how can they track?
I rooted, unlocked the phone and deleted FB and any other social media. Since we are cell only ----

My post was referring to FB being able to verify the current owner of a given telephone number. What does "tracking" have to do with that? If FB has access to telco billing records, it would not matter if the current owner of any given telephone number even has internet access (or a FB account), so what would be "tracked"?

I am not saying that I know for a fact that FB has such access, but it is really the only way that a telephone number can be used for an identity verification. Otherwise someone could give out any telephone number (to which that person has access), and then use the security code that FB either sends to that mobile phone (or provides verbally to whomever answers the "landline" phone). If FB can not really verify the actual owner of that telephone number, then it is in no way a security check. The only thing that would be verified is that the person who supplied the telephone number to FB has access to the telephone that uses that number. That person's identity could in no way be verified without access to telco records.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Razzy12345

@rr.com
reply to KoRnGtL15
Something is not adding up right...

Contact FB and ask for explanation.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

How can you be sure? Are you saying none of your friends on FB have your number? They could simply use what they got reading their address book. And then, as NetFixer says, verify the number by running it against a telco database.

This thing is insidious. You're not nearly as safe as you think.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to KoRnGtL15
Click for full size
So for all the people that doubt me and think something is "up". I contacted FB and since I did not provide a number. They want state ID sent to them and that is the only way to unlock it again. To "prove" it is me. They are NUTS! Goodbye FB. Attaching a picture of the email. This should get some media attention imo.... Whats next?!?!? Common Carl break the story on here! I don't think I have ever seen FB asking for government ID before to unlock an account....

goalieskates
Premium
land of big

1 recommendation

Are they out of their minds? Why would anyone rational send a picture of their government id?

What a scam.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to KoRnGtL15
Yeah, right. Give them SSN and DL

They certainly think that those who use their service are only the idiots, who don't mind to send them "government issued photo ID"...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

DaMan666
Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Minneapolis, MN
reply to goalieskates
They are not the only people to ask for such things.
--
thinkin

goalieskates
Premium
land of big
said by DaMan666:

They are not the only people to ask for such things.

Little much for a "free" service, though, don't you think? It's not like you just handed them a check that might bounce.

Never mind they just said, "we don't trust you, but you should trust us. Oh, and the whole internet while you're at it, and wherever that email travels through."

People ask. You don't have to say yes.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Razzy12345
said by Razzy12345 :

Something is not adding up right...

I believe he may have had or does have multiple accounts and they want to force him to use just one account only.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to KoRnGtL15
Click for full size
Did you use your correct name or have multiple accounts?
The Email says "may" but the link in the Email says you have violated the terms.
They Can't have it both ways. According to the terms "suspected" is not grounds for account lock-out.

--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Now is the not right time to stop folding."

DaMan666
Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Minneapolis, MN
reply to goalieskates
Its a free service, with a db what seems to be more info than your avg any service. I don't see the down on this particular situation.
--
thinkin