Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to dandelion

Re: Facebook now wants your personal phone number....

said by dandelion:

Doesn't say it is mandatory though according to the link "After you confirm your email address, you can verify your account. Verifying your account gives you the ability to do more on Facebook, like register a username."

It may not say it's mandatory but the screen shot posted by the OP doesn't show and option to skip it. I've been asked to provide my mobile number but not like this and I was given a choice to opt-out of that.

I've registered a username, no mobile number required. That option became available a couple of weeks after joining Facebook.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

ArkhmAsylm
Evrythng I need isn't really what I want

join:2006-02-22
Saint Paul, MN

-
You just hit 'Continue' to bypass...
--
*Tap, Tap, Tap* Is this thing on?

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4

said by ArkhmAsylm:

-

+1

Never have had a mobile, so nuts 2 them.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
reply to ArkhmAsylm

Like I said before. I have done that before as well and it worked. Eventually you guys will get flagged over time and that screen will not let you pass. It will force you to provide a number and they will send you a code. You then need to put it in to "verify" the account. If you don't go through that and ignore it like me. The account will be eventually disabled. Hence the email I received asking for government id.

said by ArkhmAsylm:

-

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

In which case i hope you told them where to stick it! (YOUR LIFE IS YOURS,NOT ANYONES TO SNOOP ON @ WILL)

Razzy12345

@rr.com
reply to KoRnGtL15

So you broke the rules on Facebook. Congrats. They can do whatever they want. I still don't have phone numbers on my account, neither does my girlfriend. And I have 180ish (RL) friends and none of them are bitching about it at all.

Sorry.

Razzy12345

@rr.com

BTW, I took a look at the Govt ID link.

You can black out all other information but your name, DOB and picture. It's not a big deal at all. And I can see why FB is doing this.

As long I'm not doing something funny, I won't have to do things like that.. but if it EVER did, I will just give them my cell number and BE DONE WITH IT (!!!!!!!), just like I did with many local businesses around here and many store accounts online.. NO BIG DEAL AT ALL. Jeez.

ArkhmAsylm
Evrythng I need isn't really what I want

join:2006-02-22
Saint Paul, MN
reply to KoRnGtL15

-
If that time comes, I can certainly do without Facebook.
--
*Tap, Tap, Tap* Is this thing on?

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to Razzy12345

It is a big deal, I'm already upset that they are using my information to make money. So just give them more? Yah right

KMA and the door wont bother me on the way out.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

Razzy12345

@rr.com

said by »www.facebook.com/help/?page=226611954016283 :

What's Facebook's philosophy on personal information and ads?

Facebook strives to create relevant and interesting advertisements for you and your friends. Here are the facts about Facebook Ads:

•Facebook Ads are sometimes paired with news about social actions (e.g., liking a Page) that your friends have taken.

•You only appear in Facebook Ads to your confirmed friends. If a photo is used, it is your profile photo and not from your photo albums.

Facebook doesn't sell your information to advertisers.

•Facebook enforces policies that help protect your experience with Apps by outside developers and ad networks.

They won't share your phone number if you put it in.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

1 recommendation

said by Razzy12345 :

Facebook strives to create relevant and interesting advertisements for you and your friends. Here are the facts about Facebook Ads:

•Facebook Ads are sometimes paired with news about social actions (e.g., liking a Page) that your friends have taken.

•You only appear in Facebook Ads to your confirmed friends. If a photo is used, it is your profile photo and not from your photo albums.

•Facebook enforces policies that help protect your experience with Apps by outside developers and ad networks.

Gullibility is a failure of social intelligence in which a person is easily tricked or manipulated into an ill-advised course of action. It is closely related to credulity, which is the tendency to believe unlikely propositions that are unsupported by evidence.[1][2]

Classes of people especially vulnerable to exploitation due to gullibility include children, the elderly, and the developmentally disabled
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullibility
--
Let them eat FIBER!
Expand your moderator at work

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Razzy12345

said by Razzy12345 :

No, they say they won't sell it. That doesn't mean they won't share it with their partners. And they do.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Razzy12345

But they will share your photo in an AD?! OMG. How can anyone intelligent about computers and posting in this forum try to justify Facebook?

If they are demanding a real phone number, they must also insist on your real picture for your profile photo. How insanely naive can all those users be?! NEVER EVER put a photo of yourself on the net.

What if you put a skunk photo as your profile photo? What if you put a photo of some stranger and claim it is you?

You know it is so sad. I was talking with a Hawaii State Public Library worker the other day. She is a young woman in her early 20's and we were discussing the problems with the library's website. That led to talking about Facebook, internet privacy, etc. and she told me that some of her friends here who are young professional women are in a quandary and greatly regret that, while teenagers, they posted impulsively on Facebook and with little, if any thought, to how what they were saying then might embarrass them, cause them to not be hired for the job they really wanted, etc. when they became older. She said "We were so immature and we just didn't get it, some didn't get it more than others, and now we have to deal with those remarks that embarrass us, cause problems for us as we try to get ahead in our careers, and we have to do this for the rest of our lives". She said that she and her friends were seriously considering leaving Facebook and were trying to get through to their younger siblings to not make the same mistakes regarding privacy and Facebook.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

1 recommendation

said by Mele20:

You know it is so sad. I was talking with a Hawaii State Public Library worker the other day. She is a young woman in her early 20's and we were discussing the problems with the library's website. That led to talking about Facebook, internet privacy, etc. and she told me that some of her friends here who are young professional women are in a quandary and greatly regret that, while teenagers, they posted impulsively on Facebook and with little, if any thought, to how what they were saying then might embarrass them, cause them to not be hired for the job they really wanted, etc. when they became older. She said "We were so immature and we just didn't get it, some didn't get it more than others, and now we have to deal with those remarks that embarrass us, cause problems for us as we try to get ahead in our careers, and we have to do this for the rest of our lives". She said that she and her friends were seriously considering leaving Facebook and were trying to get through to their younger siblings to not make the same mistakes regarding privacy and Facebook.

"Nearly seven out of 10 Facebook members surveyed — and 52% of Google users — say they are either "somewhat" or "very concerned" about their privacy while using the world's most popular social network and dominant search engine.

Even so, technologists and privacy experts say most people lack a clear grasp of the complex risks they accept whenever they're on the Internet. "Consumers generally do not understand who's getting access to their data and for what purpose," says Ryan Calo, director of the Consumer Privacy Project at the Stanford University Center for Internet and Society."

»www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-···ST_N.htm sourced from »mashable.com/2011/11/17/facebook···secrets/ sighted from »www.theage.com.au/technology/tec···lv0.html

Mele20 thanks for your example.....really is just the tip of the iceberg.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Now is the not right time to stop folding."

join:2011-11-16
Chicago, IL
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

But they will share your photo in an AD?! OMG. How can anyone intelligent about computers and posting in this forum try to justify Facebook?

I have a clear and straightforward question for you ...

Do you consider DSLReports safe and secure? More than Facebook?
More than any social website anywhere?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

quote:
Yes i do

1) THEY DONT ASK FOR PERSONAL INFO
2) THEY DONT FORCE YOUR REAL NAME
3) THEY DONT WANT YOUR PHOTO

Thats just 3 right there!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

I missed that post by 17775992 See Profile until just now. Sorry.

Like dude1111 See Profile I too consider DSLReports safe and secure as far as selling user information, etc.

I haven't been asked for a photo of myself. I haven't had to provide my real name here nor have I ever been asked for a cell phone number or my home address, etc. My antivirus forum demands my full real name and address starting about a year ago and that is not even a "social" website (nor is this site in the strictest sense but in some ways it is a social website).

DSLR stands almost alone on the net of large, popular websites that allow anon posting. If Justin wanted to secretly sell our information (if it were asked for) I don't think his site would allow anon posters. That stance has been in place since the beginning of this site and is a good indicator of the stance of the site and its owner regarding the mining of personal information.

I do wish one little thing though. When is Justin going to fix the password problem?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Chicago, IL

I guess you have not paid attention to the Google and Google-analytic scripts that collect information(you have no-script blocking them right?).

Facebook has NEVER asked for any of my personal information or for me to prove I am who I say I am, never required to post a real picture of me or my real location.

There is NO SUCH THING of truly anon posting on Internet anywhere.

Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

Yes I do

1) THEY DON'T ASK FOR PERSONAL INFO
2) THEY DON'T FORCE YOUR REAL NAME
3) THEY DON'T WANT YOUR PHOTO

Thats just 3 right there!

Neither does Facebook ....
Real Name, kinda defeats the purpose of joining Facebook not joining with your real name or what most people know you as.
NO WHERE do they require you to post any personal information but again kinda defeats the purpose of joining Facebook not giving your real location.
Loads of non-paranoid people have posted their pictures here, again not required on Facebook.
The OPTION of listing your phone number on Facebook is if you don't mind your "friends" knowing your number, or in a separate area if you have problems logging on or if there are issues with your account, there is NO requirement to do so in either case.

Life is so much more relaxing not being paranoid.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to 17775992

I have the Google cookies blocked but I haven't seen any attempt to set those in a long time if you have to renew login here. I block Google-analytics (and other Google sites) in my hosts file. Ghostery reports no trackers here.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

3 recommendations

reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Yes i do

Mind you, you're still leaving a trail a mile wide.

»www.google.com/search?q=Dude111+···me+Dude"

I assume not all these guys are you, but your writing style is distinctive enough to recognize, and you reuse the same avatar a lot. So we can build up a fairly comprehensive picture starting from this here site.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to 17775992

said by 17775992:

Facebook has NEVER asked for any of my personal information or for me to prove I am who I say I am, never required to post a real picture of me or my real location.

They just have not gotten around to you yet, but since you have now posted about it (they do have a few members to go through so it's not like there are only a dozen to compare to). Karma says you will likely end up like the OP and several others sooner than you may have wished. Karma has a wonderful way of making people eat crow.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

If you deep fry crow, it tastes like turkey.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

said by AVD:

If you deep fry crow, it tastes like turkey.

mmmmm! deep fried crow!

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

reply to 17775992

Why should you give FB your real name? My friends know who I am and they are the only ones allowed to see either FB, Twitter or Flickr.
Friends post kids pics, so I read stuff there. Better than the damn Walgreens photo albums they both use.