Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

1 recommendation

Subaru to Reno7

Premium Member

to Reno7

Re: I don't get why people want Tablets

I don't mind tablets.. however I really don't like the ipad.. reason is like what is it every two years it's outdated.. I don't follow the apple stuff like I use to but do they do trade in's or recycle? It's seems like a short life cycle.. then it's in the trash

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

Gomez

said by Subaru:

I don't mind tablets.. however I really don't like the ipad.. reason is like what is it every two years it's outdated.. I don't follow the apple stuff like I use to but do they do trade in's or recycle? It's seems like a short life cycle.. then it's in the trash

I've never understood the concept of "outdated".

Regardless of the platform, if you have something that works, it does not get obsoleted by a new release. I doesn't start moving slower because something bigger/faster/better/WOW is available.

The notion is a mindset, driven by good marketing. In reality, the 'need' to upgrade, rarely exists.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

yeah I understand that's why I still have my powerbook G4 I just don't like the way they seem to make people think they need a new one because the ipad 2 is going to die the day the ipad 3 comes out.. And from what I hear it's coming out later this year?

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

Atlanta, GA

Gomez

said by Subaru:

yeah I understand that's why I still have my powerbook G4 I just don't like the way they seem to make people think they need a new one because the ipad 2 is going to die the day the ipad 3 comes out.. And from what I hear it's coming out later this year?

Every industry does this.

Your camera, car, dishwasher, phone, modem, water heater, ac unit, [...] [...] [...] are all obsolete, or soon will be, in the eyes of someone who wants to sell you a new one.

Ignore it.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Is that the same with Android Tablets? So many are 2.x for Android while others are cutting edge 3.x

They just don't underscore 2.x as being yesterday's news.

(Caveat - not really sure of the OS subtleties, Ive just started looking at them.)

I did envy one in this post:
»[Chat] Wish I could aford it!

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

Atlanta, GA

Gomez

When you use the phrase "cutting edge", you've answered you own question.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

said by Gomez:

When you use the phrase "cutting edge", you've answered you own question.

But it seems from some reviews, that apps are more limited in the older Android too. Not sure what prevents 2.3 from becoming 3.1?

Its also interesting how many have cool things like G-Sensor, E-Compass, GPS, Light Sensor, and Gyroscope, that a desktop or laptop would often lack. Some of these are in older tablets too, so these are really potentials of the tablet versus the alternatives.
usa2k

1 edit

usa2k

MVM

This app would draw me towards 3.x apps
»www.quickoffice.com/quic ··· android/

Especially after seeing this video:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· s_OWWpvU

They must have some legal arrangement with MS? Or are they part of MS?

EDIT: Never realized »Google forum existed.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

my friend moses had a pair of tablets, i'll ask him why, but he keeps telling me something about 10 commandments?

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight to Reno7

Premium Member

to Reno7

I would rather sit in my recliner surfing or reading a tablet then my use my desktop replacement notebook.

There is a place for any electronic gizmo it is just up to the person to pick what meets their needs/wants.

Hel
Goddess Of My Own Little Universe
Premium Member
join:2002-04-11
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

Hel to Reno7

Premium Member

to Reno7
I have a nook color that I rooted and installed cyanogen on. I love it. I was going to write a whole thing about all the awesome stuff, but it all really boiled down to one point. A tablet, especially one small enough to hold in 1 hand, is the perfect size compromise between a phone that even with a 4+inch screen is too small and the awkwardness and bulk of even the smallest laptop. My tablet fits in my bag and only weighs a few ounces, so I can always have it with me, unlike my laptop.

More detailed breakdown of what I do on my tablet-
Reading ebooks-the screen size allows a good amount of text, as much as a dead tree book page or more, without the bulkiness of a laptop.

reading my rss feeds-I prefer my tablet or phone over reading them on the computer, because it's easier and quicker to scan the headline, decide I don't care to read the article, and flick to the next article, instead of having to scroll to the next article like on the computer. Sure, it's maybe a half second or second saved per article, but with hundreds of articles in my reader a day, that adds up. And between the tablet and the phone, I prefer the tablet, again because it's got more room for text over the phone. Most rss headlines don't wrap lines on my tablet, they don't need to. On the phone, they'll be 2 if not 3 lines. Plus if I do actually want to read the article, again, more room for text and bigger picture display on the tablet over the phone, and more portability for the tablet over the laptop.

Trying to do any serious amount of text entry on my phone is just annoying. On the tablet it's fine. The tablet on screen keyboard in portrait mode is bigger than the phone on screen keyboard in landscape mode!

Gaming wins on the tablet over the phone, again because of the larger screen size, and over the tablet for the portability.

But again, this is all on a tablet that's sized such it can comfortably be held with one hand. I haven't yet bought a new tablet, as much as I'm drooling over all the tegra3 ones, because they're pretty much all 10 inch tablets. I want a 7 or 8 inch tablet with a tegra 3. (And yeah, I heard about the one Asus is supposedly releasing for $250. I'll believe it when I can buy it.)

So, yeah, a tablet is a giant cell phone, more or less, which is the point. Everything that's too small to do well on a cell phone works great on a tablet. Everything that even a small laptop is too big for works great on a tablet.

Edited to add-Oh, and my husband and I got his 7&9 year old sisters a (crappy) tablet for christmas. They love it. My friend's toddler is OBSESSED with my tablet. Tablets are great connectivity/gaming/educational devices for kids.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by Hel:

I haven't yet bought a new tablet, as much as I'm drooling over all the tegra3 ones, because they're pretty much all 10 inch tablets. I want a 7 or 8 inch tablet with a tegra 3. (And yeah, I heard about the one Asus is supposedly releasing for $250. I'll believe it when I can buy it.)

Samsung actually came out with a 7" Galaxy Tab model (»www.samsung.com/us/mobil ··· 10MAYXAR), and an 8.9" Galaxy Tab model (»www.samsung.com/us/mobil ··· 10MAAXAR) - both of them in 16GB and 32GB versions. You might want to take a look at those then.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to Reno7

to Reno7
Just throwing my two cents in. We have two iPads that are in constant use. Being lightweight, they are far easier to carry around room to room or on roadtrips. I didn't think I wanted one either but, now that I have one, I'm glad I've got it.

As an aside, a client of mine just ordered 1000 of them for their employees.

Hel
Goddess Of My Own Little Universe
Premium Member
join:2002-04-11
Washington, DC

Hel to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Samsung actually came out with a 7" Galaxy Tab model (»www.samsung.com/us/mobil ··· 10MAYXAR), and an 8.9" Galaxy Tab model (»www.samsung.com/us/mobil ··· 10MAAXAR) - both of them in 16GB and 32GB versions. You might want to take a look at those then.

I've seen those, and I've got ebay alerts up for both sizes in 32gb. I'm just not convinced the hardware is worth the price.
RayGeode
join:2004-07-21
Norwalk, CT

1 recommendation

RayGeode to Reno7

to Reno7
Bought a nook tablet for my christmas present because my wife is an early to bed type, so now i can read which coincidentally , puts me to sleep. I've been sleeping great lately. Partly also due to the fact that i'm enjoying great literature during formerly wasted time.

I have always been an avid reader. Just hadn't been finding the time to do it in many years.
Expand your moderator at work
gadgets9
join:2012-04-11

gadgets9 to Reno7

to Reno7

Replacing a laptop with a tablet
Pros:

Simplicity - Instead of lugging around a laptop, a camera, an audio recorder and an air card to connect with 4G wireless networks, I used one device.

Bulk - When negotiating large crowds, the lack of a bulky bag was especially noticeable. The tablet can fit into a small book bag or a large purse, saving you a carry-on when flying.

Weight - With its wireless keyboard, the tablet weighed well under three pounds. At conventions or events where you're doing a lot of walking and carrying, that's highly preferable to a heavy laptop and bag.

Battery life - I typically had to recharge the tablet once a day. When performing similar tasks with a laptop, I rarely got more than four hours.

Cons:

Compatibility - I had to test five Web browsers to find one that I could use to access my email and Cleveland.com's online filing system.

Interface - Touching a tablet's screen to select icons and text was difficult, especially when selecting small buttons. A computer's mouse does a much better job.

Lack of ports - Few tablets have USB ports or card readers. Getting information to or from the devices generally means using wireless networks or the Internet. If the network is down, the devices can't interact with other systems.

Cost - You can buy a good normal laptop or a stripped-down netbook laptop for less than most tablets. Even after figuring the costs of extra components, the tablet is often the more expensive option.

gugarci
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci to Reno7

Premium Member

to Reno7
I'm not a fan of touch screens and I do a lot of typing in forums on the net. I really don't see a tablet in my future. I do own 2 netbooks which my kids use and I don't mind using them at all.
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR

I think that some of the new and very light Ultrabooks are a good buy these days. I think that Toshiba has one just under 2 1/2 lbs which is superb.
That said a nice tablet IS in my future as there are times when I want something very light and portable for everyday use like web browsing etc. Of course I would also prefer it to be a Windows 8 based machine so I have some months to wait.... Then it would integrate with my desktop and WindowsMediaCenter etc. For a weeks vacation this would hit the spot for me.
netsurfer1
join:2012-04-13
Atlanta, GA

netsurfer1 to Reno7

to Reno7
Tablet is cool. It's very handy, I guess that's one of the reason why people like it.

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to Reno7

to Reno7
I couldn't agree with you more. I think the reason why people are running after tablets is because most of the users have been using their PCs for basic gaming, web browsing or in other words, multimedia utilities and guess what, tablets are perfect for that kind of usage, aren't they. Plus the touch screen minus keyboard makes them portable.
Having said that, I would love to own a basic tablet like Kindle fire but would never spend money(~$500) on a tablet.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

itguy05 to Reno7

to Reno7
I used to be that way. Never would have thought about a Tablet and didn't get the iPad. Went through a crappy and slow netbook and got an iPad. Now I absolutely love it!

I don't take my laptop anymore as I can do it all on the iPad. Went on a week's vacation and took the iPad + Camera kit. Uploaded pics to the iPad and they were synced to iCloud. When I got home I just imported them into Aperture on my Mac. Couldn't have been any easier.

For normal web browsing I can use the iPad and it works great - battery life is awesome and I can use the same charger as my iPhone so that's a plus. The fact that it's instant on/off is also an added bonus and you can easily show or give it to someone.

I've also got an Apple TV hooked up to the TV and I can play stuff (pics, video, music) from the iPad to the TV and the home theater. I can be streaming Slacker with the iPad and controlling it wherever in the house. It's awesome for that and a few other things the Apple TV does really well.

I've got apps that let me access my Mac at home when on the road, I can sync with my finance application, keep my 1Password stuff with me, and a whole bunch of other neat apps. I bought QuickOffice and it will let me edit MS stuff.

stevennb
Ok, But, Thats The Last Straw.
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Wayne, NJ

stevennb to Reno7

Premium Member

to Reno7
I recently got a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 (say that 5 times fast). I use it for surfing the web while on the couch. Also when I go to play Dungeons and Dragons or Pathfinder , I have most of my manuals as pdfs on there. Makes life a lot easier than schleping a whole bunch of books.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

My Xoom ruined my experience with my Dell Mini9 Laptop.
I keep trying to tap icons when it doesn't have a touch screen.

On my Dell desktop I keep trying to drag the web page up and down with my mouse.
(Forgetting its the scroll wheel I need to use! )

The most disappointing thing is that I can't natively print a web page to a printer. The apps for printers are also disappointing too.

Browsing the web and web apps are a great experience that I do enjoy. I still feel my refurb Xoom for $265 was a great value. Way better than the $500 I wasted on a Dell Axiom PDA years ago - talk about a let-down!

jmacd27
Premium Member
join:2001-05-13
Toronto, ON

jmacd27 to Reno7

Premium Member

to Reno7

I am typing this response on my Asus Transformer tablet while on the couch laying on my back. I am streaming New Order from my Synology NAS to the tablet. I'm checking on some torrents I have my NAS downloading that I found while surfing on the tablet. I'm playing a game of words with friends with my wife (on her own tablet). I'll probably surf for a bit more, check emails, then read a magazine while keeping one eye on the TV for anything good.

This is why I like a tablet. I could do all this stuff on my desktop or laptop, but not as easily or as comfortable as I can with my tablet.