All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
willzzz
join:2007-05-23
NY

willzzz

{Latest} Internet2 100GE NY32AOA-WASHDC (Ashburn)

»blogs.internet2.edu/archives/144
»blogs.internet2.edu/archives/228
»blogs.internet2.edu/archives/223

The latest Ciena/Nortel DWDM 100GE stuff...

BTW the Verizon backbone network (AS701, Verizon Business) is rumored to be very soon having the same stuff active on the Verizon fiber between Chicago and New York network nods of VZ.

Verizon is also going to do something similar between Washington DC and New York (the 2 routes with the highest traffics aggregated at the moment...).

In CA it's Sacramento to Los Angeles. And Portland to Seattle (CDN content distribution sites)...

I wonder when Verizon/AT&T (which also use Ciena 100GE) are going to finish the cross-country 100G upgrade (no one is public, it's all private...)...

They are running it on Level3 fiber...

Verizon (from Worldcom) and AT&T (from AT&T Inc. before SBC) have their own fiber...

BTW is the Verizon Business and AT&T Wholesale fiber capable of running 100GE/OC-1024 *yet* like the Level3 fiber!?

When was it laid!?

Ciena/ex-Nortel is the ABSOLUTE BEST in the industry in 100G DWDM and is used by all the BIGGEST players in the world...

So is NSN (Nokia Siemens Networks, being used on 8Terabits per second on Rostelecom's network in Russia on their Europe-Asia DWDM upgrade terrestrial) and Alcatel-Lucent (metro only)...

Huawei/ZTE/Fujitsu/NEC are all about average...

Infinera is in the middle... QUICKLY catching up:
»www.infinera.com/j7/serv ··· emID=278

BTW the XO backbone uses the Infinera DTN.

BTW both Infinera and Ciena (no matter how expensive) right now can exceed 8Terabits per second (and Infinera 24 terabits per second per fiber pair)..

BTW what is Level3 using on ultra-long-haul between Denver to Boise (regen in WY) and Boise to Seattle now!?

Also Denver to Salt Lake City and SLC to Sacramento!?

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

1 recommendation

sk1939

Premium Member

I don't know if/why Verizon would run over Level 3 fibre since they own so much of their own. They are one of the few companies with last mile service that actually own international circuits as well, rather than having to peer or buy connectivity from a Tier 2 or Tier 1 provider.

Fibre is fibre, for the most part it can run at any speed. The only question is if they have enough pairs to reach the capacity they want. It's not really at all like copper which has limits, the only real limits on fibre are the nm restrictions between SM and MM I believe.
willzzz
join:2007-05-23
NY

willzzz

Sorry yeah I mean't VZ and their own fibre.

VZW (Verizon Wireless) actually uses Level3 on their shiny new LTE network to get the GigE and 10GigE from their more remote areas to their metro aggregation sites in the US.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Well that's not a surprise given the cost of running a line that far out, but not particularly good network management practice perhaps.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to sk1939

MVM

to sk1939
With a single fibre pair capable of carrying in excess of 100 channels using DWDM, and each channel capable of a *minimum* of 10gbit, how many pairs are you saying one of these providers need?

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Depends on how much capacity they want I guess, or if they're not multiplexing. It's admittedly usually not usually a problem.