spc
uniqs
globus999
join:2008-05-15

globus999 to InvalidError

to InvalidError

Re: Copyright Lawsuits - The Pink Elephant in the room defense

said by InvalidError:

There isn't much of an IT system required to scoop up IPs that are active on a given torrent...
1) install any generic or proprietary torrent software
2) open the torrent file to be investigated
3) open the peer list page in whatever torrent program being used
4) take timestamped screenshots

With this alone, you already have proof beyond reasonable doubt that the IPs in the screen caps were involved in that torrent.

Most definitively not. You completely mistaken. You are thinking "user" quality. I am thinking "judicial" quality. There are two completely different things. If you show up in a courtroom with this information I am laughing all the way to the bank. I can shred it to pieces since you have ZERO, let me repeat this ZERO verifiable, documented, evidence that the software / process / your training can pinpoint my IP accurately and reproducibly. Game over!
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by globus999:

If you show up in a courtroom with this information I am laughing all the way to the bank. I can shred it to pieces since you have ZERO, let me repeat this ZERO verifiable, documented, evidence that the software / process / your training can pinpoint my IP accurately and reproducibly. Game over!

IPs are directly observable information just like license plates on cars, there is no need for any fancy tools to "pinpoint" it, they are right there in plain-text and the bittorrent handshake tells the peer exactly what torrent the incoming peer connection is interested in the first 30 or so bytes of application-layer traffic.

The main difficulty is the short-lived nature of the 'live' evidence since it leaves no visible traces for re-examination once activity stops, which is often less than an hour after it started with torrents... short of seizing the subscriber equipment and tracker servers for forensic inspection before all traces are overwritten.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei to globus999

Premium Member

to globus999
said by globus999:

Most definitively not. You completely mistaken. You are thinking "user" quality. I am thinking "judicial" quality.

Judicial quality requires proof that the accuser did not tamper with the so called evidence or didn't generate the evidence from IPs supplied by Bell.

Whether the accuser has fancy software or just uses a normal bittorrent client to take snapshots doesn't change the fact that when this is done in his basement without a witness and without the vidence beng taken out of his control as soon as it is obtained, there remains the doubt that the accuser has generated or modified the evidence.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

I wonder... if I just go and type

in a text file called "-=ekster's awesome copyrighted book=- illegal torrent for terrorists"

can I go to court and sue those 3 guys/girls/cats/servers/ATMs/whatever else it could be??

After all, I got eye-peas!