wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

wings10

Premium Member

What about others

People say the "Industry" is trying to kill Netflix by raising the cost for them to do business with all the major studios.

But then why don't they go after Red Box and Blockbuster as well?

Why do they all hate Netflix?
smitmor
join:2004-04-10
Springhill, LA

smitmor

said by wings10:

People say the "Industry" is trying to kill But then why don't they go after Red Box and Blockbuster as well?

They did go after Redbox. Hollywood was the force that decided to make Redbox (and perhaps Blockbuster, I really don't know) wait a month after a DVD is released before they are able to put the title in their machines.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to wings10

Premium Member

to wings10
said by wings10:

They have gone after Redbox with their extended waiting period for DVD rentals for new releases. I don't know why this waiting period does not apply to Blockbuster though.

I am going to guess that Hollywood is more focused on selling DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs as opposed to renting out the right to watch movies or TV shows for a little bit of time. But it seems most people have simply given up on physical media because of the high costs.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to wings10

to wings10
said by wings10:

People say the "Industry" is trying to kill Netflix by raising the cost for them to do business with all the major studios.

They have gone after Redbox. And all the haters that hope Netflix folds, well if they do you can kiss Redbox goodbye too because Hollywood will focus all thier efforts on them. So goodbye to $1 rentals say hello to 60 or even 90 waiting periods. Careful what you wish for haters.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to wings10

Premium Member

to wings10
They can only do so much against DVD rentals. Like it or not, companies don't need to get approval to rent DVDs. However, RedBox and Netflix made deals to get reduced DVD pricing (and more streaming selection in Netflix's case). If the studios said "You need to wait 2 years before you can rent a DVD", they would be laughed at.

With Netflix Streaming, however, studios get to approve just what is and isn't streamed. Netflix just can't toss all movies/TV shows on streaming. They need to ink deals to allow certain content to go online. If a deal falls apart (see: Starz), then previously streamed content would disappear. If the studios decide to only give Netflix garbage content and/or raise their price demands, then Netflix is going to have to wind up charging users a ton of money for poor content.

Before the split, Netflix had a hedge against the studios. After it, they've placed themselves right in the studios' hands. History says that, when in a position like that, the studios tend to squeeze as hard as possible.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 edit

Skippy25 to 88615298

to 88615298
Redbox is already experimenting with raising their prices in some markets.

I guess to please the studios they may charge X for one movie and Y for another as Apple started doing at one point.

Or they may just raise the price for all movies all the time.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

wings10

Premium Member

said by Skippy25:

Redbox is already experimenting with raising their prices in some markets.

I guess to please the studios they may charge X for one movie and Y for another as Apple started doing at one point.

Or they may just raise the price for all movies all the time.

I am sure we will soon see the end of the $1 DVD rental.