All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
darkwhyt
join:2011-08-25
Cumming, GA

darkwhyt

WILL U-VERSE TV EVER SLOW MY INTERNET OR OTHER WAY AROUND???

I am upgrading to the Internet, Phone, and TV package. I already have the Internet and Phone, but I have some concerns with the TV. The price I am paying will be great, but will the I run into issues is my concern. A typical night will be two people watching TV, one streaming Netflix, two doing online gaming such as World of Warcraft or Left 4 Dead 2, a torrent running, and probably 4 shows being recorded (we all love to record shows in HD at my house). I am seriously concerned that b/c of the size of my household, U-Verse will start to crap out on me somehow or somewhere. I hear all the time how their HD is the lowest quality of the major providers (dish, direct, comcast...)

I guess I am wondering if the quality is going to suck big time? I have DISH Network for the moment and obviously that has never been a concern. I don't want to have to share my internet bandwidth with the TV stuff. Also, I am a big gamer and I don't want to start lagging like a mofo with a huge ping.

On the other end, I don't want to be torrenting something and streaming Netflix only to hear how all the TV shows are looking like crap on HD.

I have ZERO experience with this issue, so I am hoping people can lay to rest some of my concerns or WARN me in advance that my needs are exceeding the typical U-verse ability.

Thanks guys!

NOTE: I purchased the U-Verse 450 package and 24 down 3 up internet speeds.
darkwhyt

darkwhyt

saladbar15
join:2009-07-18
Brighton, MA

saladbar15 to darkwhyt

to darkwhyt
TV will take priority over your internet usage, so depending on your maximum attainable rate, you may or may not see an impact on your internet use. You will not see TV quality degrade due to internet usage for the same reason.

Can you post the profile tab from UV Realtime ( »uvrealtime.com )? There's a place to find this in the router configuration as well in case you didn't want to install the software, however I'm not at home right now and cannot get the URL for you.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to darkwhyt

Premium Member

to darkwhyt
With 4 HD streams going you will cut into Internet bandwidth a little. However, you would still have plenty to stream Netflix and do other data activities.

However, you have to get provisioned before you can tell what your maximum rate will be. It's possible you might not be able to get 4 streams and 24 mbps service.

Not everyone is sensitive to the HD problems. I am but I've learned to live with it. Just watch either VOD content or Netflix over live streaming HD if you can since they have better PQ.
darkwhyt
Cumming, GA

darkwhyt

"With 4 HD streams going you will cut into Internet bandwidth a little"

Yikes.....how much is a little? I have just read terrible things in the past and I don't want it all to get goofed up. Hopefully this won't be any issue for me. Anyone have the U-450 package lol??? I am hoping it's really THAT GOOD.
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420

Premium Member

said by darkwhyt:

"With 4 HD streams going you will cut into Internet bandwidth a little"

Yikes.....how much is a little? I have just read terrible things in the past and I don't want it all to get goofed up. Hopefully this won't be any issue for me. Anyone have the U-450 package lol??? I am hoping it's really THAT GOOD.

A "little" as in your Internet downstream could be 8.5Mbps or less.

By the way, the HD quality compared to DISH Network is really bad. I had switched to U-verse TV in Oct. '09, immediately noticed a downgrade in PQ, moved back to DISH in June '10, looks great. Kept the U-verse Internet though, as with the TV no longer stealing bandwidth, it's still pretty decent (though I have a few gripes about it, but with the lack of caps so far and the better price compared to cable, I'm keeping it.) As soon as the caps set in though, bye bye U-verse.

Latency will be slightly higher than cable as well, but so far it hasn't affected my gaming.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to darkwhyt

to darkwhyt
Uverse picture quality don't vary depending on your internet usage. You will not get better or worse picture quality if you are no using or using the internet. Uverse HD picture quality is always the same... BAD!

Internet speeds do vary depending on TV usage you can expect a 'little' from 30 to 60% drop in internet speeds depending on your TV usage.

All that you have read about uverse is right.
darkwhyt
Cumming, GA

darkwhyt

HA! Well dangit...I hate being right on this. I just called and cancelled the TV. My HD looks amazing, so I don't want to sacrifice that. The lady on the other line told me I was crazy to listen to people saying that the HD is poor. I chuckled when she told me I had a fiber connection that was the fastest there is right now in the world. I was gentle with her and tried not to make her sound dumb. Sad when I am the one educating the sales reps on the difference between true FIBER connectivity and copper lines....

Well.....guess I should call dish and tell them I am thinking about leaving them. Maybe I will get the hook-up?

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts

Premium Member

Sales reps will say anything for commission. I had U-Verse HD on a very clean line @ 1000' from the VRAD. When they went 4 HD streams and compressed the hell out the feed I went with DirecTV. AT&T does not even come close to their HD PQ.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Not only that but it's been said by some users that when they start really cranking up the usage of the TV service with multiple HD streams going the Residential Gateway (modem/router combination device) slows down quite a bit to the point where some have said that their ping time spikes, DNS resolution slows down, and new TCP/IP connection socket creation is slowed as well. Overall, that means your Internet connection becomes instantly worse than normal.