uniqs
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

Acceess to rights is the key

Remember that Netflix just lost access to a big library of content from Starz (sp?).

By splitting the 2, it allows Netflix to wage a war on one side to get rights without affecting the other side's access to content.

My new sony vcr allows me to rent sony pictures at $5.99 a shot. Great integration with internet connected vcrs (ok, it is a blue ray player bit I still call it a vcr

But Sony would rather I do business with them directly at a higher price than do business with Netflix.

Netflix did manage to build its brand before hollywood woke up and saw it as a threath. Same with YouTube. I am betting they are planning to survive long enough until Hollywood begins to accept and support this.

What is likely to happen though is that while Hollywood will reluctantly agree to a reduction of their profit margins, they will probably force Netflix to raise prices.

Hollywood doesn't want to kill off DVD/BD sales even though they will go the way of teh CD. People will only buy blue rays for movies that are worth keeping (big stuff like star wars, avatar etc).
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by jfmezei:

Remember that Netflix just lost access to a big library of content from Starz (sp?).

They haven't lost anything from Starz. Starz content is still on Netflix until February. Before then Netflix will write a nice big check to Starz and everything will be kosher.

88615298 (banned) to jfmezei

to jfmezei
Hollywood tried to kill off the VCR. Which is why I find this all ironic. Hollywood thinks Netflix is killing off their home video business, but if Hollywood had won and killed off the VCR their home video business wouldn't have ever existed anyways.

Hollywood always thinks some new technology is going to kill their business. First TV then cable TV, then the VCR and EVERYTIME it has done the exact opposite. You'd think after 65 years they would have learned by now.

Unlike back then however if Hollywood think holding onto their content will make people buy DVD they are mistaken. Give people less options and they'll just use torrents and such. Apparently Hollywood wants to turn a whole generation in pirates instead of paying customers. Something the music industry learned far too late and still hasn't recovered from. Hey Hollywood SOMETHING > NOTHING. Simple math.
ohh
join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA

ohh

said by 88615298:

Hollywood tried to kill off the VCR. Which is why I find this all ironic. Hollywood thinks Netflix is killing off their home video business, but if Hollywood had won and killed off the VCR their home video business wouldn't have ever existed anyways.

Hollywood always thinks some new technology is going to kill their business. First TV then cable TV, then the VCR and EVERYTIME it has done the exact opposite. You'd think after 65 years they would have learned by now.

Unlike back then however if Hollywood think holding onto their content will make people buy DVD they are mistaken. Give people less options and they'll just use torrents and such. Apparently Hollywood wants to turn a whole generation in pirates instead of paying customers. Something the music industry learned far too late and still hasn't recovered from. Hey Hollywood SOMETHING > NOTHING. Simple math.

Yeah, archaic institutions are fucking annoying. They need to get with the times and put movies on the interbutts rather than movie theaters. I dunno about you, but I hate fucking going to theaters. Messiest fucking shitholes to watch a movie. I am sure people would gladly pay the normal ticket price to watch movies from the comfort of their homes.

The music industry is a terrible joke, the artists make more by being their own label. I think I may have more respect for the movie/tv industry.