All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

broadband fiber vs coax

We now have internet service on fiber with Charter, but admins here see much better deals with the Charter coax deals.

Can anyone comment on the relative advantages of fiber vs coax?
In other words why would the much higher cost of fiber be worth it?

Thank you
Kevin

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

Same scenario here,,,,,, 40 down 2 up on coax. Just changed to 30 down 30 up, on fibre. For relatively the same price it was a no brainer. The small upload was killing me in terms of choking throughput when downloading and impeding RDP to work etc etc. or any other streaming or gaming caused interference.
Capped on coax, not on fibre another plus. On the con side, 1 year contract on fibre, can quit anytime on coax.

Have to keep coax lite until migrate email addresses........

the only difficulty initially was that they provided a modem router with wifi and I just needed a modem. managed however (on my own as not supported) to configure the router into passthrough mode so my own router gets the WANIP.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Anav,

We are seeing much much higher price for Fiber vs coax. I'm curious, where are you located? I am near Springfield, Mass.

Kevin

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Nova Scotia Canada (Halifax Dartmouth area).

In rough terms,

Cable-coax
One pays $62.95 for 20 - 1 and an extra $10 for 40 - 2 service which is $72.95 plus 15% tax. (for the first six months to be competitive they have reduced it the extra cost to $5).

Fibre
One pays $79.95 + taxes for 30 -30. FOr the first three months its $29.95 plus taxes.

Of course most people bundle it with either Tel or TV or both for some additional cost savings.

So looking at 6mos

Cable = $469
Fibre = $379

Over one year

Cable = $972
Fiber = $930

Each subsequent year
Cable = $1006
Fiber = $1103
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

TeleServPro
Premium
join:2009-08-24
reply to kkopchynski

Not sure if this will help add some light on the subject, but I wrote a post here in line with your question:
»Fiber vs Cable (Is "slow" fiber better than "fast

reply to Anav

Anav,

Well, quite a difference here in Western Mass. We pay ~$1700 per month for 10 meg fiber, and we are seeing 100 to 500 meg coax for $500 or under per month. Perhaps better oversight of the cable industry in Canada?

Thank you
Kevin

reply to TeleServPro

TeleservPro,

Yes thank you for that link. I had completely overlooked the full/half duplex issue. Is there any data out there on the real performance of a, say, 500meg link when it is running half-duplex?

I'm thinking the performance hit of half-duplex must be enormous, especially with many users making page requests and downloads. I am at a boarding school with quite heavy use.

Also any data on reliability of coax? I wish the OP on that thread had responded when asked about the nature and severity of his problems. As you can see in my reply to another post, the price difference here is quite significant.

Thank you,
Kevin

TeleServPro
Premium
join:2009-08-24

In the US, coax is typically 'best effort' in terms of uptime/latency/throughput/reliability. Any of which can fluctuate for any reason. Coax is really more of a consumer grade product.

With commercial grade symmetrical fiber, there are guarantees for service quality. Namely in the form of an SLA. However I'm not sure if this applies to consumer (residential) type of fiber such as FiOS or Uverse, as I don't deal with those.

In terms of available data for full/half duplex tests, I might be able to locate something for you. Please contact me through IM or my site: »www.teleservpro.com/contact.html

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to kkopchynski

OUCH!!! Hey you can live at my house, I will only charge you $1500 a month with free internet.

Expand your moderator at work