uniqs
sepacomm
Premium Member
join:2011-09-19
Philadelphia, PA

sepacomm

Premium Member

Interpreting Line Quality Test

I have been troubleshooting intermittent delays and timeouts on our office internet connection. It is a "flex" T1 with automatically allocated voice channels from XO Communications.

Testing our firewall's public IP I get acceptable loss and latency until the high bandwidth test fails with 100% packet loss. »/pingt ··· /2822138

Testing the ISP's gateway IP for our service all of the ping tests succeed with low loss and latency, and then the first hop ping has 100% loss. »/pingt ··· /2822144

Could this indicate that the gateway is dropping packets and/or failing?

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Is there a firewall rule in play that is dropping packet streams of such size?
sepacomm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

sepacomm

Premium Member

No. The firewall is enabled, but there are no rules other than port forwarding rules to direct specific ports to our server.
said by Mike:

Is there a firewall rule in play that is dropping packet streams of such size?

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

if you ping -t your first external hop, is there anything noticeable after a couple minutes?

Have you tried it during problem times?

I'm looking at the deviation from best, avg, to worst with 207.88.87.214.ptr.us.xo.net

The easiest thing for you to test is from your network out to the first hop, then climb the ladder until something stutters.
sepacomm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

sepacomm

Premium Member

I have run ping tests out to the 1st hop. During trouble times I have had runs of timeouts and occasional high latency...I saw one for 23000+ ms. I have attached brief logs. These are from my Mac workstation inside the network out.

Our symptoms include periods of long delays and timeouts for users, sometimes widely scattered, sometimes clustered. We report the issue, "invasive" testing is done, and there is no problem found. What should I report to the ISP based on these logs?

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Sporadic excessive latency causing service QoS interruptions. You should also show them the ping output.