how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

Getting a CableCard and Tuning Adapter

I just ordered a HDHomerun Prime from NewEgg. It should get here shortly since we're both in LA. Anyway, I noticed on the TW SoCal page there is an order form for Tuning Adapters (»www.timewarnercable.com/socal/le···sdv.html). Does anyone know if I have to do this, or will they be in stock if I drop by my local TW office?

Suit Up

Los Angeles, CA
Well, I guess I'm answering my own question here...

I went down to the local office, just to see. And they had a stack of tuning adapters, but only 1 cable card. But that was enough for me, so I picked both up today. Got a Motorola M-Card with a Motorola MTR700 tuning adapter.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
reply to Suit Up
Yeah. It's gotten much easier now since the new FCC regulations went into effect in August. You can do that or just call them up and have them ship them to you.

I don't know why everyone doesn't go this route. A CableCARD + PC tuner like HDHomeRun Prime or Ceton InfiniTV 4 is miles ahead of Time Warner's overpriced rental DVRs with their ugly, sluggish interface.

muzzymate

join:2010-10-11
Cleveland, OH
reply to Suit Up
FYI - I tried getting 2 CableCards and 2 Tuning Adapter for my 2 Tivo Premieres from two different local offices in the Cleveland area and was told by both locations the only way to get them was to order online and have them shipped to me. This was in late-August.

ChillyCat6

join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH
kudos:1
said by muzzymate:

two different local offices in the Cleveland area

Did you try the Division Dr. office, off Tyler in Mentor ?
As of one week ago,had plenty

muzzymate

join:2010-10-11
Cleveland, OH
Thanks for the info ChillyCat. I'll be sure to remember that in case one of my Tuning Adapters goes on the fritz again (jammed power button; why does the Tuning Adapter need a power button anyway?)

I tried the offices in Cleveland Heights and North Olmstead.

ChillyCat6

Chesterland, OH
said by muzzymate:

why does the Tuning Adapter need a power button anyway?)

"IF".......you follow the installation guide to the letter :

-you're supposed to hook up the coax and then the power plug
-then automatically you'll see the led begin to blink, suggesting
all the software programming is being installed.
-then the led should stop blinking,loading of data is complete
-then you should call CS and tell'um yer ready to go. They'll
then smack some keys on their puter and you should be good togo
-ONLY then do you push the ole pwr button and pray it lights up.
Sometimes it does.....and then again, it just might not.
[Push button again.....maybe] This procedure has been the PITA in the past. It's better now

Once all this nonsense is done, you just finish the installation wizard and yer stuff might work.
Actually, this process has become allot less hit-n-miss than it was just a year ago.
I make allot of fun of the installation process, because the first goaround was comedy of errors beyond belief

I got schooled pretty quickly, hauling my premier back-n-forth to Florida. Same issues between
comcast and TW...even tho the TA's were both cisco's. I've since turned several [7] folks onto
TIVO and therfore have become the in-home tech advisor to blue hair'd seniors from Ohio to Florida.

OH YEAH......."why does the Tuning Adapter need a power button anyway?"

I dunno. Cisco really don't know. I've done it both ways [pwr button on/off].

OH YEAH......."why does the Tuning Adapter need a power button anyway?"

Maybe there really is no answer [?]

OK, i'm done spending one heck of allot time, discussing somthing
so stupidly simple. There probably was no need for a button.
Possibly Cisco was hoping to help out some family of 6 makin' the buttons

Suit Up

Los Angeles, CA

1 edit
reply to muzzymate
The Motorola tuning adapter I got doesn't have a power button. It took me a few tries before I finally figured out the proper sequence to get it to load up though (pretty much similar to what ChillyCat laid out: coax, then power, wait for blinking to stop, plug in usb). No thanks to the phone support guys (they claimed it only works with TiVo... ha!).

I also had one problem where the tuner wasn't getting the channel listings from the cable card, even though it showed up as authorised and activated. Thanks to SiliconDust tech support, found out they needed to send a DAC Init aka cold hit. Called them up and they did that and bob's your uncle.

FizzleFry

@rr.com
reply to 45612019
said by 45612019:

I don't know why everyone doesn't go this route. A CableCARD + PC tuner like HDHomeRun Prime or Ceton InfiniTV 4 is miles ahead of Time Warner's overpriced rental DVRs with their ugly, sluggish interface.

You want to send me the $300 to pay for one of those?

Since you think everyone should be going this route and all seemingly no matter their financial situation.

New York, NY
said by FizzleFry :

said by 45612019:

Since you think everyone should be going this route and all seemingly no matter their financial situation.

If you have the "financial situation" that allows you to spend thousands of dollars on cable every year then you can afford a PC tuner card.

Suit Up

Los Angeles, CA
reply to FizzleFry
said by FizzleFry :

I spent close to $30/month on a HD-DVR (with the same slow ugly interface we had 10 years ago and 160 GB drive) and 1 additional single tuner cable box that couldn't record. Now I have 3 tuners that can record, a modern interface (it's HD wow what a concept!), and unlimited storage (currently have a 750 GB drive dedicated for recording, but I could upgrade it if I ever need) all for $2.50/month. This will pay for itself in 10 months. That's less than a year. And I get all those benefits mentioned already. It really seems like a no-brainer for anyone that is at least a little bit technically inclined.

FizzleFry

@rr.com
reply to 45612019
said by 45612019:

said by FizzleFry :

said by 45612019:

If you have the "financial situation" that allows you to spend thousands of dollars on cable every year then you can afford a PC tuner card.

Not really. But thanks for just assuming everyone is as well off as you obviously are.

New York, NY
So what, you're stealing cable then huh?

Good luck with that in a few years when Time Warner is done killing off analog

FizzleFry

@rr.com
said by 45612019:

So what, you're stealing cable then huh?

Good luck with that in a few years when Time Warner is done killing off analog

Yeah...that's it Detective Douche.

ChillyCat6

Chesterland, OH
said by FizzleFry :

Detective Douche