uniqs
share rss forum feed

jguy_ca
Premium
join:2008-05-27
Markham, ON

[Cable] Manual firmware update on Motorola SB6121

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a SB6121 cable modem for Teksavvy Cable. The firmware version included is SB612X-1.0.5.0-SCM03-NOSH. I was using SB6120 before and its firmware got updated to 1.0.6.1 automatically. I called Teksavvy support to see if Rogers could push update to my SB6121 as well. However the rep said Rogers may not update anyone until a major network upgrade happens, which would not be anytime soon. Does anyone know how to manually update the firmware on SB6121? and where to download the required files? Please kindly share. Thank you.

Cheers
Jguy_ca

fahim

join:2011-02-08
canada
side note: you had a 6120 and you then bought a 6121? Surely the difference between the two is marginal...

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to jguy_ca
The hardware itself in the 6121 is more stable and they're better at dealing with upstream channel bonding than the 6120's. But there won't be any updates until there's a need for an update to be pushed. If the 6121's are stable, and there's no need then they won't push anything out the door.

Besides there's a good reason why you can't grab updates and randomly apply them. You can cause network issues.
--
The Art of War
"Excessive law is no law." - Cicero
The man who fed the world

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to fahim
said by fahim:

side note: you had a 6120 and you then bought a 6121? Surely the difference between the two is marginal...

maybe he has multiple connections or locations, i certainly do.
i have both, rogers e+ (not for long, replaced with tsi vdsl) on sb6120 and tsi cable on sb6121.

they were both online when rogers decided to push firmware updates.
the sb6121 did not get the firmware updates, and still hasnt (as i havent requested to fix something that isnt broken), whereas the sb6120 did.

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON
reply to jguy_ca
said by jguy_ca:

Does anyone know how to manually update the firmware on SB6121? and where to download the required files?

Because DOCSIS uses a shared medium where bad firmware on one modem can easily cause problems for all 150-300 people on a node, firmware is managed by the network provider. If there's a reason to update it Rogers will, if everything is working then updates represent risk. If you've got a specific problem have a ticket opened for it.
--
Taylor Byrnes

jguy_ca
Premium
join:2008-05-27
Markham, ON
reply to jguy_ca
Thank you everyone for sharing their thought. I bought a new modem so that I can pass my old one to my Uncle's switch over to cable from DSL. On Teksavvy's approved modem list SB6121 is listed with firmware 1.0.6.1, so I think it is a good idea to have the firmware updated.

Jguy_ca

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON
dont worry about it if its working fine.
if rogers wants to push the upgrade so be it, they have yet to do so for my sb6121 on tsi cable.

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON
reply to jguy_ca
said by jguy_ca:

On Teksavvy's approved modem list SB6121 is listed with firmware 1.0.6.1, so I think it is a good idea to have the firmware updated.

TekSavvy doesn't manage modems, their approved modems are whatever Rogers supports (though they can have specific ones added). Rogers manages the network, Rogers manages firmware versions, Rogers will install whatever is necessary on your modem for it to work. That list doesn't really mean anything, I don't know why they list firmware versions at all as older ones will simply be updated when they are connected. If Rogers didn't allow that firmware your modem would have been updated already.
--
Taylor Byrnes

lucretius3

join:2006-06-04
York, ON
I am using my SB6120 on Rogers and they have never pushed out a firmware update. My modem came with firmware version SB612X-1.0.3.3-SCM00-NOSH.

phphreak

join:2010-02-07
canada
what's the latest update, as of Sept 20?

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24
reply to jguy_ca
I as well have new SB6121 i got from Canadacomputers.

I am waiting for Cable to be installed.

Do i need to adjust anything in my modem? Or just plug it in .. ?

Thanks
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

stormy13

join:2003-10-28
Etobicoke, ON
Just plug it in.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Mashiki
said by Mashiki:

The hardware itself in the 6121 is more stable and they're better at dealing with upstream channel bonding than the 6120's. But there won't be any updates until there's a need for an update to be pushed. If the 6121's are stable, and there's no need then they won't push anything out the door.

Besides there's a good reason why you can't grab updates and randomly apply them. You can cause network issues.

Wait so the SB6120 aren't good with upstream channel bonding? I'm going to get a SB6120 for $90 this weekend, but if it's not good, then I'll consider spending a bit more and get the SB6121 or the DCM 475.

Liquidforce

join:2009-04-07
canada
Seems that you can't get the SB modems from Teksavvy anymore... only the Thomsons... is this correct?

If so, looks like I need to get one outside of Teksavvy...

Is there any real benefit going to the SB6121 modem over the DCM475?

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
said by Liquidforce:

Seems that you can't get the SB modems from Teksavvy anymore... only the Thomsons... is this correct?

Yeah, They got the SB6120's at TigerDirect.ca via online orders: »www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···atId=160 Got mine at TigerDirect

and if you want the SB6121's go to Canada Computers : »www.canadacomputers.com/product_···d=040475

Good luck
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
------
Motorola SurfBoard 6120 | Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to jguy_ca
said by jguy_ca:

Thank you everyone for sharing their thought. I bought a new modem so that I can pass my old one to my Uncle's switch over to cable from DSL. On Teksavvy's approved modem list SB6121 is listed with firmware 1.0.6.1, so I think it is a good idea to have the firmware updated.

Jguy_ca

If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

The Firmware "if required" would have been pushed down the moment you connected the modem and completed the ranging process, this is pretty much a "Push" situation..

Since the firmware you have on your modem isn't causing an issue its just best to leave it as it is, because as people may or may not remember, when we flash BIOSes and if something goes wrong and you unplug the modem during that process or the power goes out or something, you potentially have a brick on your hands, and Rogers doesn't want to have to go paying TSI to replace modems because of something they did..

That's why FW pushes only happen when absolutely required...the "No brick" scenario.

Liquidforce

canada
reply to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

said by Liquidforce:

Yeah, They got the SB6120's at TigerDirect.ca via online orders: »www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···atId=160 Got mine at TigerDirect

and if you want the SB6121's go to Canada Computers : »www.canadacomputers.com/product_···d=040475

Good luck

Thanks! That's my plan so far... hopefully it'll be quick...

Liquidforce

canada
reply to TwiztedZero
I wonder if I should go with the 6121 over the 6120... some people say the hardware is more stable??

Sanek

join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON
said by Liquidforce:

I wonder if I should go with the 6121 over the 6120... some people say the hardware is more stable??

I believe the only difference is the addition of a few additional filters. Don't have any more info on that though.

xantius

join:2006-11-16
Kitchener, ON
FYI

MOTOROLA SB6121 @ Newegg.ca for 89.99
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···25122015

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to jguy_ca
You can't upgrade the firmware in a cable modem from the "customer side" and the makers only release firmware to the MSOs (cable operators), so you can't even find it online anywhere.

There is negligible difference between the 6120s and 6121s ... The major difference is the box!!!

And as so many others have said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ... on in this case, if it ain't broke Rogers WON'T fix it!