spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Thinking of overclock my AMD II x6 Phenom 1090T

I'm thinking of overclocking my AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2GHz. Now in the BIOS setting's I can overclock it all the way up to 8GHz. I'm afraid to have it overclocked that high because I am only using the stock fan @ 6000RPM. I'm afraid that wouldn't be enough and the CPU will burn up, Have the lifespan shorten and so forth.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I suggest you read extensively on overclocking sites. The mere fact you mentioned "up to 8GHz" shows you know woefully little about overclocking.

Also, never OC on a stock cooler.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
The two biggest tips I can offer to anyone looking to OC their build is as follows:

a) research
b) research some more

Outside of that, make small jumps. Bump from 3.2 to 3.4 and run Prime or another program to verify stability. Bump to 3.6 and re-run Prime (or whatever). Once the system is no longer stable, adjust voltage or other timings to restore stability or lower the processor back down. The system will 'let' you modify things far beyond the actual capability of the system.

Many modern systems will fail to POST if incorrect / unsafe options are selected to prevent damage to it's components. You may need to reset the BIOS to default to recover from this state.

edit: an afterthought.
For what it is worth, I have my 2.8 dual core running at 3.6 stable on air cooling at stock voltages. It had issues at 3.8 and I didn't feel like bumping the cpu voltage. The risk wasn't worth it to me. YMW(will not may)V.

readreadread
@optonline.net

readreadread to floydb1982

Anon

to floydb1982
You need to start reading a ton... your never gona hit 8ghz... with anything... let alone the stock cooler... if you want to OC read up on it... buy a better cooler... and start messing with settings and testing them...

Google for some OC guides on AMDs...

Parogadi
What? Stop Looking At Me Like That
Premium Member
join:2003-03-31
Racine, WI

Parogadi to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
You can maybe bump your multiplier half to 1 whole step on the stock cooler, though I'd keep an eye on the temps, don't bother touching any other settings, especially voltage.

Best you can do even on liquid is usually in the 4.2-4.5Ghz, the only way to get anywhere near 8Ghz is to use liquid nitrogen, though thats improbable at best to use for anything other then competition class overclocking.

As others have said, start reading and get a better cooler, it's all easier then it sounds, but not something you should just start spinning dials and hoping for the best.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28 to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Here is a guide on a 1055t hope this helps. got mine to 4 GHZ with no problem's. DITCH THE STOCK CPU COOLER. You will burn your CPU if you don't .

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· AxZJ7tWc

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
I have better advice:

Don't do it. Do you think you have the aptitude to do so?

Indeed, you've been here quite a while and yet you didn't know that there is no way you would ever get anywhere near 8GHz. I think, for you, trying to overclock is asking for trouble, no offense.

Airwolf
Premium Member
join:2001-10-30
Windsor, ON

Airwolf to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Is there a need to be running faster than 3.2GHz for all 6 cores?

When all 6 are not being used, the CPU will increase to 3.6GHz for 3 cores.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

I've decided not go a head with my plan to overclock. Because I am being told that the stock fan and heatsink just won't be able to keep the heat at a save level. Besides that I spent every last nickel I building this computer and I don't anymore money right now to build a new computer.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Floyd, it was years ago, but didn't you more or less rail against overclocking at one time here at DSLR? I am surprised to see that you were considering it now.

You can get a very good add on cooler for about 30-40 bucks (Coolermaster Hyper 212+), it is what I use, but in all sincerity, I think your making a good move to at least wait a while.

Better to do this when you can afford to lose a CPU or motherboard and have spent some quality time learning. Just be honest with yourself if you have the aptitude to attempt it. Not everybody is an engineer type person. That's why we have poets and artists and musicians, and, erm, gamers, hah hah.

wow really
@optonline.net

1 edit

wow really

Anon

OP you could very well overclock with the stock cooler (a limited amount) you have to just try it... it is all trial and error... being a fin engineer to OC wtf?

Bump the FSB/multi... run p95/ibt... watch temps...

Applying to intel asap!

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I'd PM you with some insight into why I said that, but you post anonymously. He isn't ready for overclocking. At least I have the heart to tell him that.
signmeuptoo94

signmeuptoo94 to wow really

Premium Member

to wow really
Applying to Intel might be a good idea. You have knowledge and skills. It's a good company to work for, some of the top of my class went there. At least they still operate their own fabs.