Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to El Quintron

Re: VPS shopping any ideas?

Another ++ for Linode. I've been through a few different providers over the past 8 or 9 years I've been renting dedicated servers and VPS, and nobody has ever had a service quality anywhere near Linode.

Caneris sells VPS in Toronto, but anybody outside of the US or Canada is going to really suck latency-wise.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Guspaz:

Another ++ for Linode. I've been through a few different providers over the past 8 or 9 years I've been renting dedicated servers and VPS, and nobody has ever had a service quality anywhere near Linode.

Caneris sells VPS in Toronto, but anybody outside of the US or Canada is going to really suck latency-wise.

I've heard some pretty good stuff about Linode, not being on US soil or American controlled is a requirement.

I'm specifically getting this as something that's untouchable by the US, it's my understanding that the Patriot act, and the Homeland Security act apply to everything that's hosted on US soil (Including BCE's Internet Access provider) so Linode, as good as it sounds won't do.

Latency isn't a huge factor either, I'll be using this for non-latency sensitive stuff.
--
I'm watching District 9 again, and I've come to realize something: Wikus's got it all wrong. If I were morphing into a 9 foot tall hyper-dextrous alien that can shoot lightning bolts and get high off cat food why would I ever want to become human again?