Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dragonphan

join:2011-07-28
Lafayette Hill, PA
reply to dyhrdmet

Re: Local Sports Blackouts

There are certain, "in the middle" zip codes throughout the country where you just get screwed. If you go to the MLB website and type in your zip code, it will tell you which teams have claimed your zip code as their territory. If the Phillies claimed your territory, then it's MLB's fault, not comcast. Sometimes you just get screwed when you're in a local team's territory, but that team's RSN isn't offered. Problem is that the territories were determined years ago, before cable TV and RSN's and they were based on rabbit ears and how far you could get the team's local broadcast channel. Apparently, they must have determined years ago that Channel 17 or 29 came in clearly in Union, NJ.

This is an issue that MLB needs to address, but it hasn't been done yet.

QLR

join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Thanks for some insight into this. I definitely think MLB needs to fix this. I tried to watch some Braves on ESPN3 and MLB.tv and I keep running into the above issue. Iam in Tallahassee, which is somehow Braves territory, and SportSouth isnt available. And its rights holder, Comcast, shows the feed that excludes the Braves. Just terrible all the way around.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

Not sure how updated or accurate or even official this is

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MLB_B···reas.png

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by The Q:

Not sure how updated or accurate or even official this is ...

It is close, but parts of eastern NY around Albany and north should have the Red Sox, in addition to the NY teams.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dragonphan

said by dragonphan:

... If you go to the MLB website and type in your zip code, it will tell you which teams have claimed your zip code as their territory....

Do you have a link for that? I was not able to find that capability on mlb.com when I was there. Thanks.

RalphKramden

join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

»mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/

Scroll down to the fine print at the bottom and you'll see

To find out which Club's live games are blacked out in your current location, click here:

or

To find out which Club's live games are blacked out of the area where you will be watching the game, enter the zip code of that area here and click Go

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT

Thanks.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to dragonphan

Yeah that sucks. On DirecTV's RSN page I get a response that I'm not in any home team territory.

Guess that's why I couldn't check up on the Phillies game last night on MASN HD or the Yankee's on YES HD.

What a crock of sh@*

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

Cypher, it's because you're in DTV-world. The only thing you'd be in-market for is Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, which as we all know, isn't available on satellite.

MASN and YES would be out-of-market and blacked out for you regardless in Reading. YES isn't in-market until you cross into NJ or into the Scranton DMA, MASN would be in-market across the border in Lancaster County.

dragonphan

join:2011-07-28
Lafayette Hill, PA
reply to cypherstream

I'm not sure exactly where you live, but I'll assume that you're in or near Reading based on your profile, and you're Zip Code starts with 196. If so, you're in the Phillies market, so it makes sense that the Phils would be blacked out. If you had cable instead of Direct TV, you'd get Comcast SportsNet and would be able to see the game.

The screwed up loophole that still doesn't allow Directv or Dish owners to get CSN Philly is a totally different animal, that could start another rant thread. But I've always told other Phillies fans for years that if you really care about watching the Phillies/Flyers/Sixers, you'd get cable instead of a dish.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Yeah it's not that I'm a huge sports fan... I just like catching the scores or the end of the games. Im more into the NFL than MLB so I'm covered there.

I just think it's retarded that DirecTV says "oh we have more HD channels than anyone". Well yeah if all of those RSN channels actually WORKED. I know this is a rant for another forum... But I'm just forewarning you Comcasters to not fall for DirecTV's lies. Stick with Comcast. No contracts and there's actually more basic HD in most markets.

I can just relate to the OP on these blackouts. I know it's not entirely DirecTV, Comcast Time Warner, or whoever... It's more the archaic rules of the leagues I guess. Oh well, thanks for reading. Felt better getting it off my chest.

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by cypherstream:

I just think it's retarded that DirecTV says "oh we have more HD channels than anyone". Well yeah if all of those RSN channels actually WORKED.

Not really a lie especially as far as sports goes. They're the only provider that can provide dual-feed HD for almost every sport, every game, with some small exceptions.

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to QLR

said by QLR:

Thanks for some insight into this. I definitely think MLB needs to fix this. I tried to watch some Braves on ESPN3 and MLB.tv and I keep running into the above issue. Iam in Tallahassee, which is somehow Braves territory, and SportSouth isnt available. And its rights holder, Comcast, shows the feed that excludes the Braves. Just terrible all the way around.

You can bypass the ESPN3 blackout with a proxy server or Tor.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.