Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to jgNJ

Premium Member

to jgNJ

Re: [HD] FCC Rules on Verizon Access to MSG HD

said by jgNJ:

580 is used by some much less important and unnecessary programming.

LOL!!!
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to Greg2600

to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

said by robjlevin:

My guess is that there are a lot of people at CVC and MSG that are secretly pleased to see Jim Dolan lose this battle.

This is a definite little boost for MSG the company, as well as the sports teams on MSG. It means more viewers. The only group it hurts is CVC, to which I say, ha ha.

This may hurt their ego, but the only way it hurts them financially is if a large number of customers leave CV for Verizon. It will be some time before we know that, but my guess is there will be minimal defection.
nightrider76
join:2011-12-16
Merrick, NY

nightrider76 to brownk

to brownk
Minimal defection??? Kidding....I have been a CV customer 20+ yrs, i have been waiting in the wings for Fios to get MSG HD, I just placed my order for Fios today...good ridden's CV and its horrible internet speeds...
chewypgh
join:2007-12-17
Pittsburgh, PA

chewypgh

I don't live in NY, but I'd be curious to find out how long it takes for Verizon to start advertising that they now have MSG HD and MSG+ HD.

BuffFiOS
@rr.com

BuffFiOS to brownk

Anon

to brownk
What I find interesting is that on TWC and DirecTV the Sabres have their own overflow channel for MSG HD. However, on FiOS, the guide lists the Sabres game tonight on the standard MSG HD channel. While that's fine with me since I'm not particularly interested in the other MSG shows, I wonder why or how FiOS is operating this differently than the other carriers? Hopefully, the guide is correct an the game actually WILL be on, but my curiosity is still piqued!

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom to chewypgh

to chewypgh
said by chewypgh:

I don't live in NY, but I'd be curious to find out how long it takes for Verizon to start advertising that they now have MSG HD and MSG+ HD.

Some people have seen verizon ads last week regarding the availability of MSGHD.
robjlevin
join:2002-10-30
Medford, NJ

robjlevin to nightrider76

to nightrider76
said by nightrider76:

Minimal defection??? Kidding....I have been a CV customer 20+ yrs, i have been waiting in the wings for Fios to get MSG HD, I just placed my order for Fios today...good ridden's CV and its horrible internet speeds...

There's still that thing called inertia. The people who post on this board are not indicative of the general population. The ones who want this channel want it badly but it's a very very small percent of the population.

Yes, FiOS will get a bump and CVC will take a bit of hit but it won't be a killer.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom to brownk

to brownk
If you think it was bad when we only had SD MSG, check out this story about MSG and TWC.

»www.nypost.com/p/news/bu ··· zr5bKbUP
nightrider76
Merrick, NY

nightrider76 to robjlevin

to robjlevin
Not a killer no, but look how hard CV fought to keep VZ & AT&T from getting MSG HD..That tells you CV knows they will lose a decent amount of customers, people like me who want the better service and pricing (promo) but didnt want to watch there fav sprts team in SD on there house full of HD tv's... Im excited, I get to save $60+ a month for the next 2 years, free DVR that i can share with the whole house. When my promo ends and my VZ bill sky rockets, i might be forced to go back to CV, but I'll worry about that on 12/2013.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

said by nightrider76:

Not a killer no, but look how hard CV fought to keep VZ & AT&T from getting MSG HD..That tells you CV knows they will lose a decent amount of customers, people like me who want the better service and pricing (promo) but didnt want to watch there fav sprts team in SD on there house full of HD tv's... Im excited, I get to save $60+ a month for the next 2 years, free DVR that i can share with the whole house. When my promo ends and my VZ bill sky rockets, i might be forced to go back to CV, but I'll worry about that on 12/2013.

When that time comes just call up Verizon and ask to be locked in for another 2 years. They want to keep you as a customer and away from CV.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to nightrider76

MVM

to nightrider76
said by nightrider76:

VZ doesn't play the same promo game as Cablevision. You can renew after 2 years at the current promo rates at your renewal time.

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy to MuDvAyNe

to MuDvAyNe
one thing that never made sense to me regarding Cablevision's fight to keep the HD feeds of MSG off of FiOS and U-Verse is this...Cablevision is worried about losing subscribers to FiOS over MSG HD and that is a legit concern but won't the number of subscribers who leave be offset by the millions of new and existing FiOS customers who now have to pay a small fee (a few cents a month?) to Verizon who in turn pays an even bigger fee to Cablevision?

so in the end won't Cablevision be making more money by allowing competiters access to these channels?

I actually understand why the Dolan's fought this for so long as it is a competitive advantage...judging by this thread alone you can see how many people are passionate about MSG HD...but in the end it's all about $$ and fighting this for years only cost the Dolan's millions in legal fees and potential subsciber fees...makes no real sense
nightrider76
Merrick, NY

nightrider76 to nycdave

to nycdave
The Dolans need to go away...At least the Rangers are a team to watch this year (knock on wood), but how long have we suffered with the monopoly they had in regards to cable and the poor product they put in the garden. If i can give the Dolans any credit, its they are loyal...Cant wait to see Isiah Thomas in control of the Knicks again...HAHAHAHA
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly

said by nightrider76:

Thats awesome. I cant wait too see what CV offers me to stay with them. I can only see staying with them if they gave me the service for free..lol...No but seriously, how hard would they try? knock down my current bill from $216 to $50? then maybe...lol

Even if it's a close, go with FIOS. There is no comparison.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to TitusTroy

Premium Member

to TitusTroy
said by TitusTroy:

one thing that never made sense to me regarding Cablevision's fight to keep the HD feeds of MSG off of FiOS and U-Verse is this...Cablevision is worried about losing subscribers to FiOS over MSG HD and that is a legit concern but won't the number of subscribers who leave be offset by the millions of new and existing FiOS customers who now have to pay a small fee (a few cents a month?) to Verizon who in turn pays an even bigger fee to Cablevision?

so in the end won't Cablevision be making more money by allowing competiters access to these channels?

I actually understand why the Dolan's fought this for so long as it is a competitive advantage...judging by this thread alone you can see how many people are passionate about MSG HD...but in the end it's all about $$ and fighting this for years only cost the Dolan's millions in legal fees and potential subsciber fees...makes no real sense

How can it be offset? Say Cablevision gets $.60 a month for each Verizon subscriber at 3 million subscribers. That would be $1,800,000 a month. Now say they lose 100,000 subs to VZ for this new deal, people who were paying $110 a month to CV, that's $11,000,000 lost per month against $1,800,000 new money received.
matcarl

matcarl

Premium Member

To add to my last post, it's probably not even 3,000,000 subs VZ has to pay because these channels are only in a few VHO's.
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

said by TitusTroy:

How can it be offset? Say Cablevision gets $.60 a month for each Verizon subscriber at 3 million subscribers. That would be $1,800,000 a month. Now say they lose 100,000 subs to VZ for this new deal, people who were paying $110 a month to CV, that's $11,000,000 lost per month against $1,800,000 new money received.

I think that $.60 a month for each VZ subscribe is way off. I think it's more like $4.00 per for both MSG and MSGplus. That's according to NY post article about the issues between TW and MSG. 6o cents is way low ball number
nlk10010
join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

nlk10010 to robjlevin

to robjlevin
said by robjlevin:

There's still that thing called inertia. The people who post on this board are not indicative of the general population. The ones who want this channel want it badly but it's a very very small percent of the population.

Yes, FiOS will get a bump and CVC will take a bit of hit but it won't be a killer.

I tend to agree. IF you had terrible Internet with CV AND you cared then you've probably already left. Otherwise, there are a lot of people with CV who either have OK Internet or don't care, CV installation is simpler and CV's HD channel lineup (IMO and in the opinion of a lot of people I've heard talk about it) beats Verizon's by a significant margin. Of course there are those who will want quality, etc. but, as I mentioned, they've probably already left CV.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to skohly

Premium Member

to skohly
Wow Skohly, You think it's up there with ESPN? I just threw the $.60 as an example, but $4?
robjlevin
Medford, NJ

robjlevin

Here's the Post article:

»www.nypost.com/p/news/bu ··· zr5bKbUP

But no way this going to cost CVC 100k subs.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Thanks Rob. So taking that into account and the fact you said it won't be anywhere near 100,000 subs, then it might end up a wash with the money involved, but CV would still lose on PPV and On Demand from subs and just by going down in numbers with subs wouldn't look good, they don't want that even if the money ends up being the same.
nightrider76
Merrick, NY

nightrider76 to brownk

to brownk
I ordered The Fios TV Extreme package, according to the channel lineup on the Fios website it looks like MSG 2 isnt available in SD format, need to get the ultimate package..Is this true? Doesn't make sense since every other MSG channel is available.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

They all are in Extreme, don't worry.
nightrider76
Merrick, NY

nightrider76

Thanks!
Clearpix
join:2008-01-17
Wilmington, DE

Clearpix to brownk

to brownk
Someone from Cablevision was scared. In fact it was the COO. He resigned Thursday when the VZ court decision was final.

»online.wsj.com/article/S ··· 540.html
robjlevin
Medford, NJ

robjlevin to matcarl

to matcarl
In the end it might cost them some subs, but don't forget, VZ isn't exactly winning any popularity contests with their billing issues and missed appointments. People do switch from FiOS to competitors.

As I said earlier, inertia rules. How many people do you think buy these services for anything other than price? The percentage is miniscule.

I had a Comcast guy knock on my door a couple of weeks ago trying to sign me up. When I explained that I had FiOS phone and internet and DirecTV for TV he asked what I was paying. Told him price wasn't the issue. I wanted what I wanted and that included fast uploads and lots of HD hockey. Comcast offers neither.

He respected what I had to say but told me that I was in a very small group that didn't care about cost and that dollars was the first question he gets from almost everyone.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

You are correct, most people switch just to save a buck. Everyone on this board is in the minority.

JCapra
@verizon.net

JCapra to robjlevin

Anon

to robjlevin
In the case against TWC, Verizon having MSGHD probably helps CV as subscribers with a choice between TWC and FIOS now have an alternative for MSG HD. So while I'm sure CV didn't love losing the fight against verizon, i think it helps their negotiations with TWC.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

anyone know what QAM these channel were put on?

Pepsiman
join:2002-01-18
Brooklyn, NY

Pepsiman to brownk

to brownk
I just got home from work to find a new message on my fios TV, which states great News, MSG HD and MSG Plus HD Networks are now included with select packages on channels 578 and 580, so now I am watching MSG, I guess cablevision let VZ Fios have it.