spc
uniqs
Expand your moderator at work

Lcrngrs
@verizon.net

Lcrngrs

Anon

Re: [HD] FCC Rules on Verizon Access to MSG HD

I agree. I was debating the switch because of no msghd so the argument that it doesn't effect competition is nonsense. I did switch to fios because of the superior quality and hardware and bit the bullet. I'd rather watch the rangers in sd then ever go back to CV. They stink.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

said by Lcrngrs :

I agree. I was debating the switch because of no msghd so the argument that it doesn't effect competition is nonsense. I did switch to fios because of the superior quality and hardware and bit the bullet. I'd rather watch the rangers in sd then ever go back to CV. They stink.

But you just made CV's case because despite not having MSG-HD (which you acknowledged was important), you did switch to FiOS. So in your case, at least, it was not a competitive disadvantage. On the other hand (as nycdave mentioned), their ad stating that they have all 9 NY teams in HD while FiOS doesn't kind of negates their claim about it not being a competitive advantage.

Personally, I hate CV and love my FiOS service and am thrilled that CV lost.

lcrngrs
@verizon.net

lcrngrs

Anon

I waited for 2 years before making the switch with the hopes of verizon getting msghd. I made the switch after deciding that faster response time, better picture quality and more hd channels were enough to switch. If cable vision felt that having msghd wasn't a bargaining chip why spend millions of dollars telling us about being the only cable company with all major sports teams in HD? Now that IMG 1.9 is out, I'm in my glory.

jetguy28
@verizon.net

jetguy28

Anon

It took the FCC long enough to rule on this. It is ridiculous we all know the Dolan's history. Enough is Enough, Chuck should give up and crawl back into his hole. CV is pissed Verizon got into the TV business but CV got into the phone business. Who knows what will happen but I could see Chuckie delaying this as long as he can. The fans are the losers but Chuckie could care less about hte fans judging how he runs the Knicks and the Rangers.
nlk10010
join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

nlk10010

I don't know what the rush is. Even if CV offered MSG-HD to FIOS tomorrow, FIOS isn't adding HD channels. So my understanding is we wouldn't be able to see it anyway for, well, I don't know how long (unless, of course, the situation is different with "local" channels). How embarrassing would it be for Verizon to have MSG-HD available to it but not have the necessary space?

Watch it, Verizon, don't wish for something or you just may get it!
robjlevin
join:2002-10-30
Medford, NJ

robjlevin

Finding room for MSG and MSG+ in HD is the last thing VZ is worried about. You can be sure those channels would be added in a heartbeat once they're made available.
nlk10010
join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

nlk10010

Ah, so you're saying Verizon has space for new HD but it would only be made available for certain additions. OK, that seems odd but I don't know much about the situation, so I'll take your word for it. Thanks.

jetguy28
@verizon.net

jetguy28 to nlk10010

Anon

to nlk10010
They have the room for those channels. Those channels have been left open for years. It would be 578-579-580-581, They fought this fight for so long why would you think that Verizon would not be in a rush to add MSG? They carry 4 NY sports teams.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

I agree that they should have room for MSG HD - but not for the reason you state. Channel slots are not the same as QAM slots. The question is whether they have the QAM space left in the NY market to add these channels? I think they probably reserved that space, but you can't base that on channel positions.