spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

webcrawler42

join:2011-09-24

[Home Network] Motorola NVG510 (IPDSLAM) IP Passthrough

I am trying to get my Motorola NVG510 to act as only a modem for my Linksys WRT54G. I have set the NVG510 under the IP Passthrough tab to Allocation Mode:Passthrough,
Passthrough Mode:DHCPS-fixed and
Passthrough Fixed MAC Address:(WRT54G WAN mac address). There is a cable going from a LAN port on the NVG510 to the WAN port on my WRT54G. On the WRT54G I have the internet connection type set to DHCP. The WRT54G will get the external IP, but not the DNS addresses. The DNS it gets via DHCP is the LAN IP of the NVG510. I have tried manually setting OpenDNS IPs as the DNS IPs through both the WRT54G and the client. Either way I am still not able to obtain internet through the WRT54G.

Another option I guess is getting a different gateway that might have a better IP Passthrough/DMZ option. The connection type I have is IPDSLAM. Any suggestions?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by webcrawler42:

Another option I guess is getting a different gateway that might have a better IP Passthrough/DMZ option. The connection type I have is IPDSLAM. Any suggestions?

For IP-DSLAM, you have to use the equipment AT&T issues. I don't know all of the models they have available.

For DNS, if your Linksys is getting the gateway IP address, you probably need to set the DNS servers in the router. I do that with my connection; don't want to see the modem IP address, so I set my ISP DNS servers in the router.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

zrants

@sbcglobal.net
reply to webcrawler42

Do you have any problems with the NVG510 Motorola other than that? We are told that it will solve our problems to replace the Motorola/Linksys combo with the new NVG510 which will not be out for two weeks in our neighborhood. There is no information on the NVG510 for us to research. No pictures or anything on Motorola's site.

StLCardsFan

join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber
reply to webcrawler42

post some screenshots of the setup page... and a photo or 2 of the device plz.

I got my 2210 att-2 or whatever motorola working flawlessly with my linksys wrt610N on passthrough...

so im wondering about the setup page of the nvg510 ...im sure its similar.

webcrawler42

reply to webcrawler42

Click for full size
Default Server
Click for full size
Passthrough
IP Passthrough Help (you can see part of it on the right side of the images):

Help
Allocation Mode:

Off: The default server and IP Passthrough features are both disabled.
Default Server: Allows the device to forward all externally initiated IP traffic (TCP and UDP protocols only) to a default host on the LAN. You might need this if you cannot anticipate what port number or packet protocol an in-bound application might use. For example, some network games select arbitrary port numbers when a connection is opened. Or you might want all unsolicited traffic to go to a specific LAN host.
Passthrough: Allows the device's public IP address to be assigned to a single LAN client.

Default Server Internal Address: The IP Address of the device to receive the unexpected or unknown traffic.

Passthrough Mode: The method in which the WAN IP address will be assigned to the selected LAN client.

DHCPS-dynamic: The WAN IP address will be handed out by the device's DHCP server to the first LAN client that requests a DHCP lease. It may be helpful, after the device has obtained a WAN IP address, to cycle the desired LAN client's interface or reboot it. On disabling this feature, you should reboot the LAN client.
DHCPS-fixed: The WAN IP address will be handed out by the device's DHCP server to the LAN client whose MAC address has been specified. It may be helpful, after the device has obtained a WAN IP address, to cycle the LAN client's interface or reboot it. On disabling this feature, you should reboot the LAN client.
Manual: A LAN client must be manually configured with the device's assigned WAN IP address and gateway information.

Passthrough Fixed MAC Address: When Passthrough Mode is DHCPS-fixed, this is the MAC of the selected LAN client.

Passthrough Lease: When Passthrough Mode is DHCPS, this is the duration of the lease that will be handed out by the device to the LAN client.

webcrawler42

1 edit
reply to webcrawler42

DD-WRT WAN Settings
I ended up getting it to work well enough with the Default Server option. I kept the NVG510 IP at 192.168.1.254 and set the Default Server option to 192.168.1.1 (shown in the first picture). On my WRT54G I changed the WAN settings to the picture shown above, made the LAN IP 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP to assign 192.168.0.x.

The Default Server option forwards all external traffic, but not the external IP. It seems as though the Passthrough option forwards the external IP, but not the traffic. It doesn't let you have both options active at the same time, but I could be wrong on the Passthrough not forwarding traffic. I was thinking of doing a Passthrough to forward the IP then doing port forwarding on all ports to forward the traffic, but you can only forward to one port.

I have already tried setting the DNS to both OpenDNS and the ISP DNS on both the router and the client, neither of which worked using only the Passthrough.

webcrawler42

reply to zrants

said by zrants :

Do you have any problems with the NVG510 Motorola other than that? We are told that it will solve our problems to replace the Motorola/Linksys combo with the new NVG510 which will not be out for two weeks in our neighborhood. There is no information on the NVG510 for us to research. No pictures or anything on Motorola's site.

I've only had the NVG510 for a few days, but that seems to be the only problem so far.

Zrants

@sbcglobal.net

Could someone please post an image of the Motorola NVG510. It is weird that Motorola has nothing on the product online and no one has done a review. What are the actual upload and download speeds? ATT promised 12 MBps for the downloads in our neighborhood. Is anyone getting that with the NVG510?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by Zrants :

ATT promised 12 MBps for the downloads in our neighborhood. Is anyone getting that with the NVG510?

I'm sure the nvg510 is able to support adsl2+ speeds you should check your dsl line stats that is what determines the possible speeds

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
reply to webcrawler42

Please take several pictures of new modem. It could be the new equipment that is recently released to the public

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Some Pics...

webcrawler42

reply to webcrawler42

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Screenshots of the 6 main tabs

webcrawler42

reply to webcrawler42

IP Passthrough for the Motorola Netopia 3300 Series:

»www.netopia.com/support/hardware···022.html

Not the NVG510, but at least the same manufacturer with the same vocabulary. A few interesting things I saw:

"With IP Passthrough configured, all IP traffic, not just TCP/UDP, is forwarded back to the host computer."

"Be sure to include the DNS information as supplied by the ISP in the configuration of the TCP/IP properties of this computer."

StLCardsFan

Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber

I'm glad you got it figured out. I know how shitty it is trying to connect to games or whatnot with a double NAT.

I read somewhere googling that this nvg510 is only 18mbit capable. I don't know if its true or not ..but if it is then obviously ATT has no plans of increasing adsl2 speeds. Sigh

Curious to know what your max sync rate is.

BTW ..this device looks like it is built a bit better than the 2210.

Interesting it has an option for voice. Almost seems ATT is going to offer uverse voice over adsl2.

noipv4

@sbcglobal.net

The Subnet mask is being reported wrongly by NVG510. It should be 255.255.0.0 in my case, but is being reported as 255.255.255.255 to my Cisco E3000 device.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by noipv4 :

The Subnet mask is being reported wrongly by NVG510

Is this the public ip address subnet mask or the private ip address subnet mask

said by noipv4 :

It should be 255.255.0.0 in my case, but is being reported as 255.255.255.255 to my Cisco E3000 device

The pictures show that the private ip address subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
A public ip address with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 is very normal

erbch

@sbcglobal.net
reply to webcrawler42

how did you get to the setup? I have tried every combination... I plan on using my wrt300n and can not seen to access the setup. thanks!

erbch1

join:2004-11-22
Saint Louis, MO

found it.. 192.168.1.254 thanks anyway!

Ummm

@sbcglobal.net

Have you tried just using the NVG510 as your router? It has greater internal bandwidth, and faster wireless than the awesome, but now a bit long in the tooth WRT54G. I could see using the 2Wire gateway just as a modem, it's a crap router, but the NVG510 is much newer gear than the WRT54G.

The modem is capable of speeds faster than 18 Mbps, and very short loop Max Plus customers have seen connections up to 26 Mbps. There will be no tier faster than Max Plus for a while. Pair Bonding is being used in some markets to extend range for 12 and 18 Mbps tiers at further loop lengths, but that's all we're getting on ADSL2+ for a few years.

thisisfutile

join:2006-03-11
Newcomerstown, OH

1 edit

Just signed up for Uverse today and received my NVG510. My problems with it is that it only has WAP wireless encryption and that ATT is charging me $100.00 for it (I'm certain I'll cancel my service in the grace period because of these two issues). My WRT54G router has 3rd party firmware installed (sveasoft I think?) and offers WAP2. Might consider staying with Uverse if I can get this thing to bridge and if ATT comes off that ridiculous price. October 2011 and only WAP? Really!?!?

UPDATE: Actually, it does have WPA2, but I didn't notice it because there's another field called "WPA Version" where you select 1 or 2...that's the first time I've seen a setting like that...totally missed it. I did discover though that you cannot disable DHCP on it...at least I don't think so.

StLCardsFan

Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber
reply to Ummm

said by Ummm :

The modem is capable of speeds faster than 18 Mbps, and very short loop Max Plus customers have seen connections up to 26 Mbps. There will be no tier faster than Max Plus for a while. Pair Bonding is being used in some markets to extend range for 12 and 18 Mbps tiers at further loop lengths, but that's all we're getting on ADSL2+ for a few years.

define very short loop lengths... and i was under the assumption that adsl2 is limited by design to 24mbit.

max plus 18/1 for a few years? is ATT planning on even competing with docis 3 and probably 4 by then? Heck ...clearwire will surpass that in a year or two with 3 or 4x's the bandwidth.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by StLCardsFan:

... and i was under the assumption that adsl2 is limited by design to 24mbit.

Not by design, by the physics of electricity given the techniques required for ADSL2+.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

uknow

@sbcglobal.net

i have the NVG510. i have been able to connect to internet via the ethernet cord. i set up the wifi also. i can connect to the wifi on my android if the ethernet cord is plugged into computer. how can I access wifi on my laptop??? desperate for your help;thanks.

uknow

@sbcglobal.net

and also. my ethernet connection says access: local and internet; where my wifi att### says local only. please at&t has not been able to do anything for me

StLCardsFan

Lafayette, LA

I don't quite understand what you are asking.....

Your laptop cannot find the wireless network of the gateway but your android phone can find it?

Bart Mooney

@sbcglobal.net
reply to StLCardsFan

I can confirm my max speed I pay for 18M/1M
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 17999
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 1021

StLCardsFan

Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber

said by Bart Mooney :

I can confirm my max speed I pay for 18M/1M
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 17999
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 1021

How far are you from the CO? i wonder if a different modem would achieve the same result ..as in the 2210 netopia?

In other words ...does the brand/type have anything at all to do with max sync rates?

GShelley

@sbcglobal.net
reply to webcrawler42

How do i allow VPN passthrough with the NVG510? I can no longer use the VPN connection on my laptop that worked prior to getting the NVG510. Telling me port is closed. Is there a modem setting i need to change?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

What ports are used by the vpn

webcrawler42

reply to webcrawler42

Did anyone ever get IP Passthrough working?