share rss forum feed

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Cable testers

So what do y'all use as a basic cable tester? Basic as in shows which pins connect on each end and does not cost a lot. Fluke is out.

In class we made different types of cables (straight, crossover, console) and used a Paladin 1529, which sadly it appears they phased out. (I don't care for the form factor of Paladin's replacement.)

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
I use my Fluke NetTool as my first go-to tool. Why is Fluke out?

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Wily_One
i bought one of these, about 8 years ago, and it still works.

»www.ebay.com/itm/RJ45-RJ11-Cat-5···8wt_1140

this is as basic as it gets (for what i do/need it for).

packetpusher
Premium
join:2005-03-22
Oakville, ON
reply to Wily_One
I tend to not make a ton of cables, around 20 a year. When I do I use the cheap LED blinking light cable testers from your friendly neighborhood electronics store. I just want to ensure everything got crimped properly. I usually confirm by connecting a laptop to a switchport. Not very scientific, but in the volumes I deal with it does the job.
--
Luminaire
My Blog

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to LLigetfa
said by LLigetfa:

Why is Fluke out?

I'm going to guess because of cost. Their cheapest tester is ~$90. If all you are doing is the occassional basic continuity test, something 1/10 the cost is about as good.

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
LMAO - the Fluke "NetTool" goes for $2K.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

said by LLigetfa:

Why is Fluke out?

I'm going to guess because of cost. Their cheapest tester is ~$90.

LOL
I guess I'm in a different league, having dropped more than $100,000 on Fluke tools.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
"League" is one word for it.

I am not a cable dragger by trade, but for the rare time I do have to roll my own cable, just need a simple tester equivalent to the Paladin 1529.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to Wily_One
I purchased a simple tester like this on a few years ago:
»www.dhgate.com/rj45-rj11-rj12-ca···8be.html

Does not do any parametric testing but great way to buzz out cable connections.

Take a look at Amazon these kinds of testers go for $10-50 depending on build quality and capability.

/tom

supergeeky

join:2003-05-09
United State
kudos:3

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Wily_One
I have this one...

»www.cdw.com/shop/products/IDEAL-···202.aspx
(also available at most Home Depot's)
...and it's great for simple continuity tests. (Although it needs a strange battery; 6V about half the size of an AA, it only needs replacing every year and a half)

But I recently purchased this...

»www.cdw.com/shop/products/Fluke-···165.aspx
(you can find it cheaper on Amazon.com)
...and it's really the best thing since sliced bread.
- Identify lenght of cable run, or length untill open pair or shorted pair (A.K.A. other contractor puts a screw, staple, metal beam, or cube wall, through the line - this is how to find it without tearing everything apart)
- Identify port number and VLAN your linked into (on managed switches that support this)
- Blink the switch port LED (link and un-link rapidly, speed is adjustable, helps ID line without having to run to the other end and use a tone probe or put a dongle on)
- Tests for POE or other voltages (POTS!) on the line
- Grabs a DHCP address and can ping stuff, like the default gateway or DHCP server address, with low, high, and average ping times (usefull to prove to a user thier NIC or computer sucks, and it's not the network cableing)
- Save multiple tests to internal memory and dump to a PC via USB, then print out a pretty report showing all pairs OK and lenght of each run

Product page: »www.flukenetworks.com/enterprise···ltimeter
Click the virual demo button is fun.

Full disclosure, no I don't work for Fluke, but I am really excited about this tester

Expensive, yes | Huge time saver, yes | Being able to show cabeling contractor (who doesn't even have such a nice tester) what a bunch of %$#@$ they are, priceless