spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mNasser

@rr.com

1and1.com DOWN

We lost our dedicated server hosting service since about 9:00 AM EDT this morning. We have two different servers and they are both down! We have tried calling the dedicated server support several times without any success. We are now going through their regular /generic support department and been on hold for 30 minutes without anyone answering!
This is the second time this week we lost the servers. Last week we were down two days due to a hardware failure. Their dedicated server department was very slow at responding in fixing the problem, and they ignored ALL our questions regarding what happened or how to prevent it from happening again.
We need a new web host with reliable dedicated server service for our .NET application. Any suggestions?

woodshop

@sky.com
Our server is also down. 1and1 support lines are all engaged, both non-geographical and geographical. ON the few times I have got through I get put in a queue then I'm disconnected.

anonzzz

@tmcnet.com
reply to mNasser
same problem here. dedicated server offline. no tech support.

xenophane

join:2003-10-20
Dorval, QC
reply to mNasser
Same with me, my server is down since 8:55am EDT.
Support lines are busy and no replies from support email.
They must be in big trouble.

Duncan

@sky.com
reply to anonzzz
Same here, we have three server and all are down. i can't get through on the phone either seems they've just stopped picking it up. I would at the very least expect some notification on their website which is still up. we have both cloud and dedicated hosted in the German Datacentre and all are effected.

JasonInNYC

@rr.com
reply to mNasser
Hi All. We also have a dedicated server. Here is what I know. I called several times and finally got through. The rep told me that they gave him sparse details as to the cause. It was something to the effect of a "back-end config file" issue. I'm not sure what that means, but basically all VPS, dedicated and cloud servers are currently down. He said he was pretty sure their shared sites are also down.

They are hoping for a quick resolution (within an hour or so), but he had no ETA as of yet. Unfortunately, they have no notification system (either email or an area in the Control Panel) where we can check. His best advice was to refresh our site every so often to see if it's back up. I felt that solution was crap and there definitely appears to be a lack of communication between their support reps and the people in the field.

Thanks.

exedigital

@sbcglobal.net
reply to mNasser
We called at 9:05am and they told us that is was a network issue and that it was affecting everyone. The tech said that it would be resolved within the hour. Its now 10:44 am and our dedicated server is still down. We were in the process of migrating from 1and1 to our new data center. Almost had everything migrated and then this happened. 1AND1 works for starter companies but there comes a time when you have to migrate to a local CO-LO. This gives you more control and allows you to have more redundancy.

jjzoom

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to JasonInNYC
Anyone have an ETA?

woodshop

@sky.com
reply to mNasser
Just got off the phone with a 'rep' she said it was a long term problem and they had no E.T.A for a resolution. As I type our server has just came back to life.

They refused to answer my questions as to what the problem was and why their service status page claimed "all services functional"

Oxycodone

@stealthcreative.com
reply to JasonInNYC
Thanks for the info. Our dedicated server is down, but we have some clients with shared accounts, and those appear to be up and running. 1and1 mail (at least webmail) also appears to be down, as is the 1and1 control panel.

exedigital

@sbcglobal.net
reply to mNasser
Our server is now online.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6
reply to mNasser
This from their twitter feeds:

quote:
We're currently facing some problems with our servers and internal systems like the control panel. We're trying to fix this ASAP!

85% of root servers are now back online & the rest are in the process.

And from their facebook status page ( »www.facebook.com/1and1uk/posts/2···02132521 )

quote:
Due to a database-outage, in combination with a software error, we suffered from a faulty root server configuration. Therefore since about 3 o’ clock (European time) internet applications of 1&1 server customers aren’t reachable. Only 1&1 customers who use a dedicated or virtual server are affected. The majority of customers with hosting packages (shared/Dual-Hosting/Cloud) are not affected. Our technicians are working on the problem under high pressure.

mNasser

@rr.com
It's back up again. It was a nightmare for us because the server was also down Thursday and Friday due to hardware failure. We repeatedly asked 1&1 for an explaination of the problems but didn't get any replies. Also they did not explain why we had to recover files and reimage the hard drives when we have RAID installed! Needless to see, we are shopping for a new host. Any recommendations for a reliable Windows dedicated server host?

downdown

@rr.com
12:53 Eastern one of my root servers are up, the other is still down:-(

downdown

@rr.com

Re: 1and1.com Finaly UP

1:10 and I had access to the server. I had to go threw the panel to reboot:-( to get access.

Though I bet it will never happen, I wish they would give us an explanation why we went down.

Haim

@inter.net.il
reply to exedigital

Re: 1and1.com DOWN

server down again, right now ;-(

anonzzz

@tmcnet.com
yep, out again

Skyline0

@verizon.net
reply to Haim
my server went down again about 10 minutes ago.

exedigital

@sbcglobal.net
reply to anonzzz
Yep of course they are down again.

mileage
Premium
join:2000-01-02
I'm here
reply to mNasser
I'm down as well. Managed Server.
--
^^--sign here

erikb

@comcast.net
reply to exedigital
We have 4 dedicated servers that were having connectivity problems this morning around 9am EST. They were online for a couple hours, and now down again...

bbx143

@rogers.com
reply to mNasser
We're shelling out for a maxed out Virtual Dedicated Server that is also affected. This is a ridiculously bad situation for 1&1. Can we expect some kind of refund for these lost hours?

exedigital

@sbcglobal.net
reply to mileage
Yea, dedicated server and cloud server down. Looks like we wont be migrating today. Cant wait to leave 1and1, we are hearing that it is a misconfiguration on their firewalls and with the servers going up and down it seems like they have not figured out what the problem is. Would not surprise me if it was some type to DOS attack.

exedigital

@sbcglobal.net
reply to bbx143
1AND1 TOC. Sec 12.1
1&1 makes every reasonable effort to maintain the uninterrupted operation of the 1&1 Services, subject to regularly scheduled server and network maintenance cycles. However because many events and circumstances are beyond the control of 1&1, 1&1 does not in any way warrant or otherwise guarantee the availability of the 1&1 system or servers and is not responsible for any delay or loss of data, lack of connection, slow connection, or any other such issues whether due to the active or passive negligence of 1&1. 1&1 may, at its sole discretion, limit or deny access to its servers, if, in the judgment of 1&1, such limitations or denials of access are required to assure the security of the network, the integrity of the network structure, or to prevent damage to the network, the software or the data stored on the 1&1 servers.

I doubt they will refund us any money with the section above. I am just curious if they will allow us to terminate contracts early because of these issues.

mNasser

@rr.com
reply to exedigital
You can check their Facebook page for admission of problems. Don't try to post though as they are very quickly removing any negative posts. They must have a full-time person just deleting bad comments at this time!
I cannot afford to do business with 1&1 anymore as we are bleeding customers as a result of these outages. Any recommendations for a better Windows dedicated server host?

erikb

@comcast.net
reply to exedigital
We've had these 4 servers for a year, and this is the first real problem I've seen. Sadly, we tried a few other providers before 1and1 and they were worse. I am currently running one of our windows service server applications on my development machine in my home office to keep at least that part of our system "up". Lovely.

We pay several hundred bucks a month for these servers, so I intend to call and try to get some sort of compensation for this...

SCS

@connectregus.com
reply to mNasser
We are down and can not get any answers

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to mNasser
Amerinoc is decent for dedicated servers, they are fully managed so they can and will install software and stuff for you but the only downside is you do not get root / full administration access. A website I help run is on a dedicated server with them, uptime has been pretty well since I came on the scene with the site. They did have one bit where the entire datacenter lost power and their generators didnt kick in fast enough so the were out for a few hours while the generators kicked in and then they had to powerup all the servers again which takes a while. The datacenter is in the socal area and if anyone remembers the area was effected by that power snafu a few months ago and during that time their generators kicked in on time and we had no downtime at all. They assured me they have plenty of diesel on reserve for the generators which was real nice.

exedigital

@sbcglobal.net
reply to mNasser
We have found success with a CO-LO cabinet. These range in price depending on bandwidth and it requires you to purchase your own servers and L3 routing equipment but allows you to have more control and physical access to the data center.

rman

@mchsi.com
I'm not happy they are down and even unhappier that they never notify you when it happens. Luckily our email is on their email server which still appears to be working.

But I must say I personally don't understand why people knock 1and1 so much. We have been with them for probably 6 or 7 years and I only seam to remember a couple times when we have been down for more than 15 minutes or so. Besides those time I've always gotten through to the dedicated support line and had great support even when it was my fault for messing something up on the server.