3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

an MP3 player advice ...

can anyone recommend any MP3 player that has:

* a large capacity (60+GB)

* fast start up times

* folder structure (so I could drag drop folders to it - and then navigate them)

* volume control dedicated buttons - so I could always easily increase/decrease sound volume

Thank you so much...

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Rarely can you find an MP3 player with 60+ gigabytes of storage, even nowadays. The first thing that comes to mind to me is an iPod Classic, but that doesn't have dedicated volume buttons, and requires iTunes.

If you ignore capacity for a moment, I would suggest an iRiver E150 ($100), or if capacity is a must Creative ZEN X-Fi2 64gb ($250).

iRiver : »www.amazon.com/iriver-Di ··· 02X7872G

Creative: »us.store.creative.com/Cr ··· =froogle
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

said by sk1939:

Rarely can you find an MP3 player with 60+ gigabytes of storage, even nowadays. The first thing that comes to mind to me is an iPod Classic, but that doesn't have dedicated volume buttons, and requires iTunes.

I have the iPod classic and you don't have to use iTunes with it, at least the one I have bought at the end of 2009 (Not sure if the newest ones have a different iPod OS). I've been using WinAmp to access it.
It has 160GBs but no dedicated volume buttons. But the volume is readily accessible by just spinning your finger around the dial. So much so that I am for ever adjusting the volume when what I really want is to look for a different song/album.
Dav3yDark0
join:2011-01-24
Sioux City, IA

Dav3yDark0 to inGearX

to inGearX
Older iPods can be loaded with the open source Rockbox firmware which should give you most of the functionality you want. It will actually be dual bootable between Rockbox and the standard iPod interface after you install it.

»www.rockbox.org/

I use Rockbox on my Sansa e250v2 and I like it. Rockbox can run on a number of different media players, their website has a complete list.

Dave

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

Sarah to inGearX

to inGearX
Cowon J3 comes with 32GB plus you can put in MicroSD cards, so you could have 64GB in it at any one time. I just got one... it's a great player. It has folder structure, "sleep mode" so you can boot very quickly, and volume buttons as well as next/previous buttons to skip songs.
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR to inGearX

to inGearX
I use an MS ZuneHD with 64GBs.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Most of the very high capacity players use HDs, and HDs die, don't like to get bounced around a lot. Nice thing about the Cowon is it is flash and with the flash slot you can have virtually unlimited storage. Plus no player has better sound than a Cowon. They are known for their sound quality and elaborate features and all the music formats that most other players do NOT support. Want FLAC? Want OGG? Want APE? No problemo.

But as has been said, you can get an old iPod and put rockbox on it, which is awesome. It can be a little buggy though, depending upon the player and how developed the software (RB Booter and player) for it is.

An amazing person gave me a Cowon a while back and I still use it lovingly. I LOVE the sound and features. I inherited my dad's iPhone and believe you me, the Cowon is much better for music. The brand isn't as famous in the USA but in S. Korea it is very big, and audiophiles like them.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

»www.amazon.com/Cowon-Ple ··· 04JKNEJ6
IanR
Fort Mill, SC

IanR to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
Mr Softy's Zune uses 64GB flash.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Ah. But with a Zune, you have to use MS's software, right? And is there a flash card slot, like the cowon? Will it do FLAC, OGG, APE etcetera?

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah to IanR

to IanR
Does the Zune have file-tree navigation though? (I'm assuming that's what the OP meant by being able to navigate folder structure) I always thought they were id3-tag navigation only... haven't used one, though, I could be wrong.

This is a very important feature to some of us... if you listen to certain genres like jazz and classical the Artist>Album>Song navigation most mp3 players have is kind of useless.
IanR
Fort Mill, SC

IanR

I have no way to tell what you find "adequate" or not. Or what "some of us" might want, or might not want.
But I can navigate through my 64GBs of music by genres, artists, albums and individual songs. I find this quite adequate to play Jazz and classical and Operas on my ZHD. It even plays rock by songs as well. Which it may surprise you "some of us" might want also.

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah

No need to get offended. Just trying to stick to the specs given by the OP, that is the point of a thread like this, isn't it? He specifically asked for a player that navigates by folder structure.

My jazz and classical music would be an absolute mess if I went by id3 tags. I had an iPod for a while which only went by id3 and it drove me up the wall. Example: I have about 50 albums featuring one of my favorite musicians - he's had 10+ bands of his own plus has played with hundreds of other artists. I want to keep his work in one place - I can do that with filetree navigation. Id3 tags would separate those 50 albums into about 30 different artists. Another favorite of mine has worked with countless bands, is a musician and a composer, does everything from classical to jazz to punk... id3 tags would probably separate his work into 50 different artists and seven genres, whereas I want it all to be in one place. Plus, with over 150 albums to his name, I want to be able to subcategorize his work - one folder for soundtracks, one folder for live records, etc. Better yet, that musician and that composer have worked on ~35 albums together, so now I have to figure out which one gets to claim ownership for each album. It's a mess. In the end, I organize it in a way that isn't logical, but makes sense to my brain and my brain only, which is what I need.

I didn't say everyone had to do it a certain way. Just that some people have a strong preference for file tree nav

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Just a random thought - If you intend to listen to many audiobooks, a bookmark feature is nice. I think the ipod offers bookmarking, but I'm not sure.

The reason I mention this is because here in CT, we now have two public sources for audio books. Both are free, and both offer some current titles. Both require a participating library library card.

I would imagine many other states are offering this as well. I work alone all day, so I have a tremendous amount of time to listen.

Even more unsolicited advice - I have nothing but praise for Etymotic Research in-ear noise occluding earphones. The ER6i models are awesome. Just sayin'...

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Love the audiobooks from Overdrive via my public library (though the website could use a little work )