how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

whiteazn

join:2005-02-10
Henderson, NV

Caps

you think U-Verse doesn't have caps? At least Cox's cap has for the most part been a soft cap (as far as I know, I have gone over the cap with no "overage" charges). U-Verse has a $10 per 50GB overage fee.

But shrug, I find Cox to be the "best of the worst", when you compare to the problems of other cable ISPs (comcast, etc). Sure, it has its problems, but it could be worse if there was another ISP in its place.

Of course, it is hard to be optimistic with any ISP when you see other countries ISP offerings.

milkman82

join:2006-06-19
Cleveland, OH
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse
said by whiteazn:

you think U-Verse doesn't have caps? At least Cox's cap has for the most part been a soft cap (as far as I know, I have gone over the cap with no "overage" charges). U-Verse has a $10 per 50GB overage fee.

Well here is my problem. Cox had the soft cap way before AT&T had any caps. Now, AT&T implements a cap and charge service.

Then guess what right behind them Cox does the same thing.

At this point I don't have a cap with AT&T. My bill still shows unlimited usage with a meter error. However, last two months my download intake has been a little above 500GB and upload around 30GB. Yet, I still have not gotten one letter or one complaint. In all honestly this has not been to pirating either. I bought a few of the internet tv set top boxes and everyone watches their own netflix movies though out the month and I have been uploading alot of all my computers stuff to online storage. I will admit I do pirate and it may be for a song here and their. Never, to movies and large programs.

whiteazn

join:2005-02-10
Henderson, NV
cox may have had a soft cap, but it was just that, a soft cap. mainly had a soft cap of 250GB and only went after the top users. at least here in NV, cox hasnt made any mentions to charging for going over the cap and, they just barely rolled out the meters a couple days ago. (as per cox Data Usage FAQ: Cox does not currently charge you an additional fee if you exceed your allowance. If you determine that your Internet data usage consistently increases, we recommend that you consider a Cox High Speed Internet package that more closely matches your use of the service.)

personally, the least evil of caps, i would consider the soft cap to be that. and cox is pretty generous (comcast has what, 100GB?)

and i didnt say it was piracy. Netflix can EASILY float your bandwidth usage up high. might as well take advantage of that unlimited use error !

milkman82

join:2006-06-19
Cleveland, OH
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse
I understand what your saying. Better to have a soft cap and them not really care. Then to have a crazy Nazi policed connection.

However, my problem is Cox was saying caps when at the time AT&T was saying unlimited.

What I have observed is communication companies will closely monitor that their competitors are doing. Then act twice as quickly on billing before they will act on structure enhancements. Which in all honestly I don't blame them one bit. They are a business and their only goal is really to make money.

My problem is when one company starts something others will follow or want to follow. First European internet providers started pulling this crap. Then US cable companies, then AT&T took it a step further and started charging. Now, they are all wanting to cap and charge.

I think if the cable internet providers would have never went down that path. We would have not seen the others follow so quickly.

Also, if you remember the cable internet companies were the first to block ports as well. That was another problem I had with Cox I forgot to mention. One that really got me at the time was them blocking port 25. I used a web host company at the time and that really caused some issues. Could not stand the response the tech gave me at the time too. "Well I don't see a problem. Just use our outbound smtp address and it will be fixed." I told the guy I am paying for a service with my hosting company that you are preventing me from using. With AT&T I would just send an email for the port 25 on the DSL and the block was removed.

Really if you look back just a year ago it was something like.

Cox:
Port Blocking
25 TCP SMTP
80 TCP HTTP I
135 UDP
136-139 UDP, TCP
445 TCP
1433 TCP
1434 UDP
1900 UDP
27374 TCP

Soft Caps

AT&T
No port blocking
Unlimited Usage

Clearly one service has been more restrictive over the other.

I know Cox has its good points. But this was an issue for me at the time.
the youtube issue »