kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

1 recommendation

reply to ctggzg

Re: Pics of our major kitchen/den remodel

What was wrong with the old stuff? It was ugly.
I'd say 40-50 years is a pretty good run. I see morons around here that remodel every 5-10 years.

All houses are a waste of time, energy, money and materials. Technically, we could all get by just fine in tents, soddys, or caves.
--
I just might be the most "licensed" S.O.B. you know.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

The transformation is amazing and the change is very appealing. You made wonderful choices and I hope you get many years of pleasure from this improvement.

Thanks for posting all the pictures.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

3 recommendations

reply to ctggzg

said by ctggzg:

Looks nice, but sorry, what was wrong with the old stuff? How much time, energy, money, and material was trashed while redoing it?

The issue with the old pine paneling was we were just tired of it after nearly 30 years in this house. As for the waste, I did look into recycling the pine paneling. But it did not come down easily. It was put up pretty well with finishing nails. Since each board was splitting somewhere despite the caution in removal, it was all trashed. The surface was varnished, making repainting it (about the only thing that might have been done to it) problematic at best since the surface had curved detail. If I owned a log cabin and wanted to continue the look I would have kept it.

As nunya See Profile points out, 40-50 years was a good run for the wall materials.

I made an effort to make the project "green" where feasible.

The dishwasher was on its last legs, and the stove was starting to get shaky on its legs with some capabilities no longer functioning.

On the recycling front, the cardboard from all of the cabinetry, appliances, and wood flooring was recycled at the local recycle center where they accept cardboard. The stryrofoam packing materials (which was significant in volume) were taken to Styrocyclers in Marietta. The contractor probably hates me for making them go to the effort of taking it there instead of throwing it in the dumpster. But my game, my rules.

On the energy conservation front, the wall insulation was brought up from 1970's R11 to R13. Insulation was blown into the entire attic to bring the depth up to 10 inches. Foam sealant was used around the window frames to stop drafts. A metal six panel exterior grade door now leads to the unconditioned basement/garage. The refrigerator and dishwasher are MUCH more energy efficient than those that were replaced. On the water conservation front, I no longer run water down the kitchen drain awaiting hot water at this furthest point from the water heater.

Were some resources wasted by remodeling? Undoubtedly. But I think we will be saving some energy and water that we formerly wasted.

As for the money that was spent, I look at it this way. I employed a lead-man for three months full time on site, and several subcontractors (electrical, plumbing, and others) got a day's pay (or two) and profit, on me in exchange for their labor/skill and my materials. In these hard economic times, compare that with your favorite financial institution's helping hand. (Cue patriotic music...) Doing my part to float the American economy.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

I for one would like to see how the microwave turns out after you have the custom trim pieces installed. That was the one thing that jumped out at me as an "uh oh, what did he do?" question.

Very nice job.

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

It has not shipped yet. Custom manufacture. The three inch shelf extension makes it odd. Based on discussion with the microtrim.com rep, I'll add a small piece of wood on the shelf surface even with the cabinet face on left and right sides. The trim will anchor to that. Obviously, the microwave will still extend three inches beyond. But the hole will be hidden. I'll follow up after receipt and installation.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL
reply to sempergoofy

Isn't the outlet under the sink supposed to be GFCI?

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

1 recommendation

reply to PSWired

said by PSWired:

Have you considered painting the brick fireplace?

There"s no way i would paint the Brick it will turn out Crappy,
--
Support
»www.minutemanproject.com/

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to bryank

said by bryank:

I was wondering how long it would take before the "inspectors" came out.

That is now answered. :-(

Wayne
--
As a society deteriorates, image becomes more important than character, if you want to lead in restoring that society to its true character, capitalize upon that flaw.

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

Excellent job...

Wayne

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

Very nice.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

reply to 49528867

said by 49528867:

Wayne

The OP did an excellent job of sharing his renovation project. The results were excellent but you're right the "inspectors" and super critics are always around.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

I would kill, maim, punch, look at someone unfavorably for a bigger kitchen.

But alas 3 of the 4 walls of my kitchen are bearing with the 4th being the basement stairwell.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

said by sempergoofy:

old pine paneling was we were just tired of it after nearly 30 years in this house. As for the waste, I did look into recycling the pine paneling.

Jeeze. All that wood and you haven't built a fire in years!

We have ours cranking all winter.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

Another idea for the fireplace--stacked flagstone veneer over the brick. See what you think of the photos at the bottom:

»norstone.com.au/st_rockpanel_ins···tion.asp

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

Obviously, it is a very nice upgrade.

What I wonder is how long it will be in the future (maybe you will be off in assisted living) when some new owner comes in and starts renovating and starts tearing down the sheetrock in disbelief that anybody would dare cover up such "beautiful wood".

You know how history repeats itself.

Spork35

join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA

said by jrs8084:

What I wonder is how long it will be in the future (maybe you will be off in assisted living) when some new owner comes in and starts renovating and starts tearing down the sheetrock in disbelief that anybody would dare cover up such "beautiful wood".

Why would they pull off the drywall on the ceiling?

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to PSWired

said by PSWired:

Another idea for the fireplace--stacked flagstone veneer over the brick. See what you think of the photos at the bottom:

»norstone.com.au/st_rockpanel_ins···tion.asp

That is a neat fireplace renovation, but my initial reaction is that those solutions would not lighten up the color enough unless enough really light flagstone could be acquired.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Spork35

said by Spork35:

said by jrs8084:

Why would they pull off the drywall on the ceiling?

The future people will probably be saying, "@#$%& Why didn't they pull down the wood before putting up the drywall?" especially if all they are wanting to do is something like add a new box for a light. A simple keyhole saw event through drywall turns into a jigsaw or hole saw on a drill event.

If I had been doing the work myself, I would have pulled down the wood too just because. It certainly increases the destruction mess and then requires replacing insulation. But it would probably have avoided the seam cracking issue that had to be addressed later. Again, there was nothing so wrong with their plan to just go over the wood with drywall.

I have to keep a close eye on this, especially next summer when the heat is at its maximum again to assure the two things that were done to address it (screws through the boards into joists and additional insulation) were enough to prevent cracking. I have high confidence that the problem is gone. The work is warranted for a year, so I would have the option of calling them back to fix if it cracks again.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

1 recommendation

reply to 49528867

said by 49528867:

said by bryank:

Wayne

I am an in no way an inspector but a DIY'er and I was simply asking a question pertaining to code/good practice. I don't post much in the Home Improvement forum instead I read and gain knowledge from all the pro's and guru's here. Sorry for asking a simple question.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by bryank:

I am an in no way an inspector but a DIY'er and I was simply asking a question pertaining to code/good practice.

I think it was a valid question asked properly. Perhaps the circuit breaker is GFCI?
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

Tabitha Ann Judd born 10/24: The Judd Family site!

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

Neither the quad outlet outlet nor its breaker (it is a dedicated circuit) are GFCI under the sink. Everything above the countertops are GFCI protected as required (and verified during inspection). I asked the electrician why the below sink was not getting GFCI as he was installing. He indicated that motors (such as my recirculator pump motor for which the outlets were installed, or a disposal) don't always get along well with GFCI outlets.

Now, having been around this forum long enough, I know better than to try and cite or interpret the NEC. We have real resident expert members here for that. Until and if they chime in, I will offer up one web reference found via google from an inspection site. The Internet salt grains are over there in the shaker to season: »www.nachi.org/forum/f11/question···t-58095/

While certainly no guarantee of anything, remember that the county did perform a final electrical inspection, and the only thing that prevented passing on the first visit was the absence of the outlet at the end of the peninsula which was corrected.

Now, please, for the love of forum enjoyment, can we avoid if at all possible having this thread degenerate into GFCI-wars? I'll bet there are enough threads where that has happened to keep folks reading the archives for a month.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

towerdave

join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

said by sempergoofy:

If I had been doing the work myself, I would have pulled down the wood too just because. It certainly increases the destruction mess and then requires replacing insulation. But it would probably have avoided the seam cracking issue that had to be addressed later. Again, there was nothing so wrong with their plan to just go over the wood with drywall.

I have to keep a close eye on this, especially next summer when the heat is at its maximum again to assure the two things that were done to address it (screws through the boards into joists and additional insulation) were enough to prevent cracking. I have high confidence that the problem is gone. The work is warranted for a year, so I would have the option of calling them back to fix if it cracks again.

We removed a drop ceiling and replaced it with new joists and drywall, and our seams are all cracked. The guy that did it was relatively new to the game, so when we had our kitchen redone, we asked the guy we got for that (he's been doing drywall for 20 or 30 years) to look at it and he said that he thinks the new lumber causes it these days, due to more moisture, or the wood, or something. It expands and contracts more. He says he sees that a lot in new houses.

We put up crown in that room to take care of the cracks around the tops of the walls, and we'll paint to cover the other seams, but it's a bit annoying.

So removing the pine panelling may have helped in your case, but only if you weren't replacing the joists in the ceiling.

TD

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

My wife would absolutely LOVE this kitchen...Great job! Looks awesome!
--
Not only does Jesus save, but he makes nightly off-site backups.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

said by sempergoofy:

The future people will probably be saying, "@#$%& Why didn't they pull down the wood before putting up the drywall?"

Not me, I would say thank you for leaving the wood. I would probably take it down refinish it and put it back up.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

said by sempergoofy:

can we avoid if at all possible having this thread degenerate into GFCI-wars?

Absolutely and very easily so. There is only one sentence in the NEC and it covers it all: "Requirements. GFCI. Kitchens - where the receptacles are intended to serve the counter-top surfaces." End of story. Your receptacle is fine, sempergoofy See Profile.

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to jester121

Click for full size
Trim picture 1 (with flash)
Click for full size
Trim picture 2 (w/o flash)
Click for full size
Trim picture 3 (side angle)
said by jester121:

I for one would like to see how the microwave turns out after you have the custom trim pieces installed. That was the one thing that jumped out at me as an "uh oh, what did he do?" question.

I received the custom trim kit yesterday. Installed it this morning. You wanted to pics. Here you are.

There are slots on the back of the upper piece into which the side pieces slide into. Four screws. They pre-drilled the holes and amazingly everything lined up perfectly. It is a nice piece of work. Cost was $108 plus shipping from www.microtrim.com.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

What made you go with that shelf style microwave as opposed to the variety meant to mount to the wall?

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

reply to sempergoofy

That trims it out very nicely IMO.

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Ken

said by Ken:

What made you go with that shelf style microwave as opposed to the variety meant to mount to the wall?

Honestly? Failure to scope out all available options is my truthful answer. We knew we wanted the microwave off of the countertop to free up counter space. The contractor was familiar with and had had previous success with the cabinet we now have. In the face of the mountain of major appliance purchase duties we were assigned, we were happy to put this is in the lesser pile. Knowing that any countertop unit that would fit in the cabinet/shelf width/depth would do lifted a burden from my wife who did the bulk of the work in appliance selections.

It would appear that if we wanted to do so, we could switch to an under cabinet mounted unit by removing that cabinet. However, the trade off would appear to be less cubic footage in the microwave oven.

P.S. My wife read this over my shoulder and said she got exactly what she wanted. That right there is worth a lot as any married man knows.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA

2 recommendations

said by sempergoofy:

said by Ken:

P.S. My wife read this over my shoulder and said she got exactly what she wanted. That right there is worth a lot as any married man knows.

Happy wife, happy life.