Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

[WA] New Years in Seattle

For anybody that lives up there, I'm planning a NYE trip to Seattle with a bunch of friends. Does anybody have any suggestions on places to stay, things to see, how to get around?

Thanks!
--
My Blog 2.2

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

What do you want to see?
What do you want to spend?
How are you getting here?
where do you want to go?

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

1. All the usual tourist spots (Space needle, starbucks, Pike Place Market, etc.)
2. I want to spend around $100-$150/night hotel/motel, in walking distance t downtown.
3. SEATAC
4. See #1.
--
My Blog 2.2

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
reply to Gbcue

»Extended Pacific Northwest Forum FAQ »What is there to see and/or do in Seattle?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Gbcue

everything in the FAQ can be done by bus or cab from a downtown location. even the airport is only a light rail ride away (something like the monorail)

Any of these are ok (not much of a view, nor a fancy room, but close safe and quiet) (I'm more the 2-3 star, spend more going around, than the posh room, look out the window guy)
both the sixth ave and Warwick served relatives and friends in the past.
I guess the question I failed to ask, is how long will you be here?
there are plenty of things to do, time and taste dictate all.

You ask to see a starbucks, there are at least 2 spots downtown where you can see 3 at once, but the best is the original at the pike place market. (they sold tea and spice BEFORE they had coffee)
and a ferry ride (back and forth, no car needed, dress REALLY warm) is a must (on a clear day you won't want to leave, and even fog is kinda cool)

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to Gbcue

Are you planning on renting a car?

If you just want to stay in Downtown, you can walk to just about everywhere, provided it's not raining much ( ) or take the bus, especially within the ride free zone.
--
Perry v2.012!

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA

No cars.

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

Any of these are ok (not much of a view, nor a fancy room, but close safe and quiet) (I'm more the 2-3 star, spend more going around, than the posh room, look out the window guy)
both the sixth ave and Warwick served relatives and friends in the past.
I guess the question I failed to ask, is how long will you be here?
there are plenty of things to do, time and taste dictate all.

You ask to see a starbucks, there are at least 2 spots downtown where you can see 3 at once, but the best is the original at the pike place market. (they sold tea and spice BEFORE they had coffee)
and a ferry ride (back and forth, no car needed, dress REALLY warm) is a must (on a clear day you won't want to leave, and even fog is kinda cool)

Oh yes, by Starbucks, I mean the original one, of course.

I think you missed some list in your post...

We'll be there from about the 30th to 2nd.
--
My Blog 2.2

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Sorry, I meant this »www.venere.com/hotels/seattle/do···all_rate

with only 3 days and new years eve in there, you can find plenty to do in town
I'd say pike place market and waterfront area (ye olde curiousity shoppe , aquirium, tour boats) as one target area, seattle center (take the monorail for the space needle (only really worth going up on a clear day) the EMP/sci fi musuem/ Gates foundation Headquarters/science center/Imax as a second) and the third would be either a quick tour of the area (city bus to the top of queen anne or capital hill for views OR underground seattle/other history.

large variety of good NW style resturants around town at various price points, seafood generally being prefered (avoid the tourist traps right on the waterfront (I've never had a meal their that justifies the higher prices even if the view is nice and a few are just plain bad.)
BTW they shoot fireworks off the space needle on new years eve, which is a must see (closer is better, if you can take the crowds, otherwise get a hotel room- resturant with a view of the needle.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Gbcue

The Space Needle sucks. Don't bother.

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA

Subjective - some people think it's cool, and if he's in town why not? I do recommend the EMP if you're into music at all, though.
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

Not for the price, it isn't.

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW

said by drew:

Not for the price, it isn't.

Again, subjective.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

reply to drew

so Drew, what cheap thrill WOULD you recommend to a Seattle visitor?

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to Gizy

After taking a dozen or more people over the last 10 years, and having most of them go 'oh, that's it?' I've got a decent baseline.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

So what have you shown those dozen or more people that wow'd them?

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

I don't understand the flack I'm getting for saying the Space Needle isn't great. He's probably still going to go, but at least someone owned up to how not awesome it is.

Going to the myriad of exceptionally beautiful areas around here usually does.. Up to Paradise (Mt. Rainier), or Hurricane Ridge (Oly. Penninsula) for starters. These aren't options during the timeframe he's up here.

Simply put: the space needle kind of sucks. The world is now ending because someone had a dissenting opinion.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to Gbcue

said by Gbcue:

No cars.

In that case, you pretty much restricted to downtown Seattle and its vicinity. However, I'd suggest to take the bus to the U-district and spend some time on the "Ave" (University Way) or look around on the UW campus. I used to take friends to a brewery tour (Rainier, just south of Chinatown) but they're no more at that location, though there's still a sign about the "Old Rainier Brewery"
--
Perry v2.012!

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to drew

I agree that doing the great outdoors thing would convey more about this area would be great, BUT neither paradise nor Hurricane ridge are winter friendly, no car, 3 daytrip locations.
The needle on the other hand is a world wide recognized landmark not super special for those of us that live here, but as single location that offers several unique seattle experiences IN SEATTLE, the center and the needle are pretty good (as I said it needs a clear day) is it a lot to pay for an elevator ride? yes (but not overpriced compared to viewpoints in other cities)
It's a place others can say "I went there when I visted seattle"

PS I have a couple reletives who came to visit and said before hand they wanted to see EVERYTHING I took them to all the things mentioned above and more and they were only slightly bored, stopped by Alderwood mall for one of the outlying resturants nearby and they lit up. As it turned out their idea of what to see in all the cities they visit is shopping at a major mall in the area... all enclosed, no view, major nationwide stores...because thats what they like at home SHOPPING Their goal isn't seeing a different place (I think they wasted a few plane tickets) it's just more Shopping.

Everyone has their own taste

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA
reply to Gbcue

if you're the partying type then capital hill is a good place to walk around, bar hop.

you can go up in the BofA building (columbia tower i think it is called now). observation room on the ~70th floor, taller than the space needle.

»www.yelp.com/biz/columbia-center···eattle-2

your limited time limits my other suggestions