All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman

Re: Change the state laws to allow public utility fiber builds.

said by davidhoffman:

Then Buffalo and other cities could build their own networks.

With what money? They can't even keep the potholes patched in Buffalo or control their crime problem. Where do you suppose the money for a city wide fiber build is going to come from?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

2 recommendations

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I advocate mainly for electric company FTTH builds like EPB Fiber »epbfi.com/ in Chattanooga, TN, LUS Fiber »lusfiber.com/ in Lafayette, LA, Greelight »www.greenlightnc.com/ in Wilson, NC, and CDE Lightband »www.clarksvillede.com/Hi ··· rnet.asp in Clarksville, TN. They can use electric utility rights of way to go FTTH by basing the fiber on smart grid present and future uses.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

Contrary to the City of Chattanooga's PR department EPB and VW are not the saviors of Chattanooga. They have spent 300+ million dollars on trying to put large and small businesses out of businesses.

Muni projects should be treated just like public roads. ANYONE who wants to buy access to the network should be allowed to do so. There are several small providers in Chattanooga that have made attempts to buy retail services from EPB and they have flat out refused to sell them service because they offer similar services to EPB.

I have a HUGE problem with any public agency that is out to destroy private businesses. Fair and friendly competition is fine but underhanded back room deals are not.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

1 recommendation

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Interesting. I would like to research these small providers. Would you state who they are? I would be interested in why the decision would be made to cause trouble for private providers potentially capable of offering symmetrical data rates at or above 10Mbps to everyone in Chattanooga, TN. If that was done, than maybe EPB Fiber is a mistaken expenditure.

battleop

battleop

There are none anymore that can do residential. They were all forced out of the residential business because you can't compete with someone who gets 300+ million dollars of grant and bond money.

Try and string fiber on any pole owned by the city. It's one delay after another that takes months and months to get done.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Yes, Google pointed that out recently as one reason why they went with Kansas City, Kansas. Very little of that excessive pole guarding behavior. I think that was one thing Kansas City, Missouri changed after they found out they had lost. They significantly reduced the pole guarding restrictions, access fees, paperwork, etc. The Google Gigabit build could nudge other cities and power companies to change their behavior in this area.

battleop

battleop

It won't happen when the Power company and the phone company are one in the same.