how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to davidhoffman

Re: Change the state laws to allow public utility fiber builds.

Contrary to the City of Chattanooga's PR department EPB and VW are not the saviors of Chattanooga. They have spent 300+ million dollars on trying to put large and small businesses out of businesses.

Muni projects should be treated just like public roads. ANYONE who wants to buy access to the network should be allowed to do so. There are several small providers in Chattanooga that have made attempts to buy retail services from EPB and they have flat out refused to sell them service because they offer similar services to EPB.

I have a HUGE problem with any public agency that is out to destroy private businesses. Fair and friendly competition is fine but underhanded back room deals are not.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Interesting. I would like to research these small providers. Would you state who they are? I would be interested in why the decision would be made to cause trouble for private providers potentially capable of offering symmetrical data rates at or above 10Mbps to everyone in Chattanooga, TN. If that was done, than maybe EPB Fiber is a mistaken expenditure.

battleop

There are none anymore that can do residential. They were all forced out of the residential business because you can't compete with someone who gets 300+ million dollars of grant and bond money.

Try and string fiber on any pole owned by the city. It's one delay after another that takes months and months to get done.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
Yes, Google pointed that out recently as one reason why they went with Kansas City, Kansas. Very little of that excessive pole guarding behavior. I think that was one thing Kansas City, Missouri changed after they found out they had lost. They significantly reduced the pole guarding restrictions, access fees, paperwork, etc. The Google Gigabit build could nudge other cities and power companies to change their behavior in this area.

battleop

It won't happen when the Power company and the phone company are one in the same.