spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01

[ipv6] DHCPv6 support for OSX?

Does anyone know if/when Apple is planning DHCPv6 support for OSX? I've tried contacting them directly, and surfed their forums, but haven't found any definitive answer.
jh2010
join:2009-09-03
Brooklyn, NY

jh2010

Re: [ipv6] DHCPv6 support for OSX?

OSX is lunix based. Hasn't linux supported DHCPv6 for 3-5 years?

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

timcuth

Premium Member

OSX is BSD based. And yes, I believe it has supported IPv6 for a long time. I know the Apple Airport Extreme router does IPv6, so it would be strange if OSX did not.

Tim

packetpusher
Premium Member
join:2005-03-22
Oakville, ON

packetpusher to cablegeek01

Premium Member

to cablegeek01
Although there are working DHCPv6 implementations that can be had for OSX, none of them integrate with the network control panel. There were whisperings that something was coming down the pipes for Lion, but sadly it has yet to materialize. I think we're going to be stuck with IPv4 for name servers, and SLAC for IPv6 autoconfig for a while . That being said we're going to be stuck with IPv4 in general for a while, so I don't see v4 DNS as too big an issue.

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01

That's what I was afraid of. I'm working on a cable modem system that is attempting to go IPv6 native and the provisioning system assigns IP via DHCPv6 so SLAAC is not an option. Looks like no support for OSX in the near future....

justbits
DSL is dead. Long live DSL!
Premium Member
join:2003-01-08
Chicago, IL

justbits to packetpusher

Premium Member

to packetpusher
»www.gossamer-threads.com ··· s/143137

Other people claimed a few months ago that DHCPv6 was supported in 10.7 Lion.

JDCynical
Always Mount A Scratch Monkey
join:2002-01-09
Beaverton, OR

JDCynical to cablegeek01

to cablegeek01
I have only seen DHCPv6 working under Lion when in 32-bit mode. It's been broken in 64-bit since 10.6 as far as I can remember.

At least I can statically assign them.

packetpusher
Premium Member
join:2005-03-22
Oakville, ON

packetpusher to justbits

Premium Member

to justbits
Wow! Thanks for the update justbits! I'm going to get my dhcpv6 server fired up again tonight and give it a shot. Great news!
rickrick
join:2011-09-30

rickrick to cablegeek01

to cablegeek01
Updation is the most awaited one, still not sure as not got the information of the support that you are talking about.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to cablegeek01

Premium Member

to cablegeek01
DHCPv6 is supported 10.7. RDNNS is also supported if you won't want to run a DHCPv6 server just to push DNS servers.