Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
Cambridge, MA
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to IanR

Re: an MP3 player advice ...

Does the Zune have file-tree navigation though? (I'm assuming that's what the OP meant by being able to navigate folder structure) I always thought they were id3-tag navigation only... haven't used one, though, I could be wrong.

This is a very important feature to some of us... if you listen to certain genres like jazz and classical the Artist>Album>Song navigation most mp3 players have is kind of useless.
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

I have no way to tell what you find "adequate" or not. Or what "some of us" might want, or might not want.
But I can navigate through my 64GBs of music by genres, artists, albums and individual songs. I find this quite adequate to play Jazz and classical and Operas on my ZHD. It even plays rock by songs as well. Which it may surprise you "some of us" might want also.

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
Cambridge, MA
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..

No need to get offended. Just trying to stick to the specs given by the OP, that is the point of a thread like this, isn't it? He specifically asked for a player that navigates by folder structure.

My jazz and classical music would be an absolute mess if I went by id3 tags. I had an iPod for a while which only went by id3 and it drove me up the wall. Example: I have about 50 albums featuring one of my favorite musicians - he's had 10+ bands of his own plus has played with hundreds of other artists. I want to keep his work in one place - I can do that with filetree navigation. Id3 tags would separate those 50 albums into about 30 different artists. Another favorite of mine has worked with countless bands, is a musician and a composer, does everything from classical to jazz to punk... id3 tags would probably separate his work into 50 different artists and seven genres, whereas I want it all to be in one place. Plus, with over 150 albums to his name, I want to be able to subcategorize his work - one folder for soundtracks, one folder for live records, etc. Better yet, that musician and that composer have worked on ~35 albums together, so now I have to figure out which one gets to claim ownership for each album. It's a mess. In the end, I organize it in a way that isn't logical, but makes sense to my brain and my brain only, which is what I need.

I didn't say everyone had to do it a certain way. Just that some people have a strong preference for file tree nav
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!