uniqs

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Until they say what the cap is; outrage is misplaced

Nothing in any of the links say what the cap will be. If it is 250GB/mo like Comcast and with the posted overage fees, this would be a reasonable plan.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

I guess I took it that the cap would be 50GB. But you're right, they don't specifically state what it will be.

I use about 1TB on 10Mbps connection at $50 a month. If the cap is only 50GB then at $10 per additional 50GB, I'm looking at about $140-$150 a month. They offer business accounts (cap free at least right now) for 8Mbps for $130 or 12Mbps for $200. I can live with a slight decrease in speed so switching to a 8Mbps business account would be a good deal if the cap is only 50GB. If it is more then I'll have to re-evaluate. Still, an $80 increase of what I pay now will suck.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to FFH5

to FFH5
Any cap on your service for usage is unacceptable.
You never know how much bandwidth you will need to use tomorrow.

DarkRogue
@suddenlink.net

DarkRogue to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
I could live with a 250 gig cap, 40 something gig no but a 250 gig cap or so would be okay.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

iansltx to Oh_No

to Oh_No
Any billing per KwH on your electrical service is unacceptable. You never know how much power you will need to use tomorr...oh wait...

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
Chicago, IL

Oh_No

said by iansltx:

Any billing per KwH on your electrical service is unacceptable. You never know how much power you will need to use tomorr...oh wait...

ISP costs are not based on bandwidth usage, but on fixed network costs. If you use more or less the costs do not change.
Electricity does not compare to broadband as there is a fixed cost of the network and a variable cost of how much power you use.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium Member
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

1 recommendation

pianotech

Premium Member

said by Oh_No:

said by iansltx:

ISP costs are not based on bandwidth usage, but on fixed network costs. If you use more or less the costs do not change.
Electricity does not compare to broadband as there is a fixed cost of the network and a variable cost of how much power you use.

So, the more infrastructure it takes to handle ever-growing demand just appears out of thin air? The additional servers, fiber, etc., that become necessary to handle ever-increasing data traffic just appear without cost? Wow, I knew technology was advanced, but I had no idea it had come that far!

Know what, I really don't see $10 for an extra 50G as unreasonable. At least they're offering subscribers the ability to pay more if they use more. Comcast caps residential users at 250G and cut you off for a year if you go over it more than once.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

I don't see $10 for 50G as unreasonable either. If it's truly skimming "rolling in the dough" profit some other ISP will come along and offer uncapped service and gain subscribers.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to pianotech

to pianotech
said by pianotech:

said by Oh_No:

said by iansltx:

So, the more infrastructure it takes to handle ever-growing demand just appears out of thin air? The additional servers, fiber, etc., that become necessary to handle ever-increasing data traffic just appear without cost? Wow, I knew technology was advanced, but I had no idea it had come that far!

The infrastructure is fixed. It cost the same if you use it for 1GB a month as 1TB a month. Do you think the line they bury to your house and all the equipment for your connection is free because you dont use it as much?
said by pianotech:

Know what, I really don't see $10 for an extra 50G as unreasonable.

That is pretty sad.