Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to Oh_No

Premium Member

to Oh_No

Re: Typical

said by Oh_No:

There is no such thing as typical.

How about an average user transferring an average number of bits?
said by Oh_No:

All you can do is assume the user will use the bandwidth you give them.

That's a fiscally unsustainable assumption that has never been used in telecommunications.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No

said by openbox9:

said by Oh_No:

There is no such thing as an average user as there is no control over each users usage.
Sure you can average past numbers, but that is not a valid use of statistics for saying what users will use. Every user is unique.
To base your network off past averages instead of potential peak usage is irresponsible and huge gamble.
said by openbox9:

said by Oh_No:

That's a fiscally unsustainable assumption that has never been used in telecommunications.

Lol, ISPs were greatly profitable from 1995 to 2011 with unlimited internet.
It is very sustainable unless you want to protect tv subscriptions that have nothing to do with the internet.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul to openbox9

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

said by Oh_No:

Yeah, that's like having a buffet and assuming that each people won't stop at half a plate of food!
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to Oh_No

Premium Member

to Oh_No
said by Oh_No:

There is no such thing as an average user as there is no control over each users usage.

Huh?
said by Oh_No:

To base your network off past averages instead of potential peak usage is irresponsible and huge gamble.

How do you get to an estimate of potential peak usage? Please don't suggest totalling max advertised connection speeds for all customers.
said by Oh_No:

But that's not what we're discussing. Your assumption implies that if an ISP has 1,000 customers for a single node, each subscribing to a tier advertising max throughput of 10 Mbps, then that ISP must plan for 10 Gbps of throughput. That is unsupportable.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

said by Oh_No:

I really think that if ISPs are going to make claims like this they need to completely release all of their methods for collecting the data and how they came up with these statistics. If they want to charge per byte, they should be regulated just as gasoline is regulated.

I only see these caps and overages as a way to increase profits for investors. The extra usage does not cost the ISP more to provide.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to openbox9

to openbox9
Though his argument is crazy in one respect, even you would have to admit that they use the maximum potential bandwidth usage and utilization charts when they determine upgrade paths and such.

"All networks are built and upgraded" with X% of peak utilization in mind. I use the "" loosely as it is clear with monopolistic/duopolistic ISP's they don't necessarily use it to build or upgrade, just to restrict and monetize.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by Skippy25:

even you would have to admit that they use the maximum potential bandwidth usage and utilization charts when they determine upgrade paths and such.

Of course. That's the basis for capacity planning capital expenditure decisions.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to openbox9

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

said by Oh_No:

Huh?

Huh? I guess you don't know how statistics work.
said by openbox9:

said by Oh_No:

How do you get to an estimate of potential peak usage? Please don't suggest totalling max advertised connection speeds for all customers.

Estimate?? It is a hard caculation based on the speed you give each customer.
In cases where networks cannot handle 50 mbps sustained due to being over sold, the ISP should not sell 50 mbps. They should sell 5 mbps (or whatever the network can handle) but with a "speed boost up to 50 mbps". Just offering 50 mbps (even with BS small print) is very misleading if the network cannot handle it.
said by openbox9:

said by Oh_No:

But that's not what we're discussing. Your assumption implies that if an ISP has 1,000 customers for a single node, each subscribing to a tier advertising max throughput of 10 Mbps, then that ISP must plan for 10 Gbps of throughput. That is unsupportable.

It is very supportable to offer what your network can handle instead of lying.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

I only see these caps and overages as a way to increase profits for investors. The extra usage does not cost the ISP more to provide.

The capping and metering serves to generate revenue and control growth. There is a marginal cost to increasing capacity on fixed infrastructure to a certain level, at which point investment must be made to increase capacity beyond that threshold.
openbox9

openbox9 to Oh_No

Premium Member

to Oh_No
said by Oh_No:

Are you seriously suggesting that an average doesn't exist? And you're questioning my statistical knowledge?
said by Oh_No:

That is simply not feasible.
said by Oh_No:

Using Comcast and it's 17.55M HSI subs as an example, if Comcast were to maintain a capacity of 100 Gbps, the company would only be able to offer a maximum speed tier of ~5.7 kbps based on your logic. Are you ready for that?

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by openbox9:

Using Comcast and it's 17.55M HSI subs as an example, if Comcast were to maintain a capacity of 100 Gbps, the company would only be able to offer a maximum speed tier of ~5.7 kbps based on your logic. Are you ready for that?

..if the 17.55M subscribers were in the same area.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to openbox9

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

said by Oh_No:

Are you seriously suggesting that an average doesn't exist? And you're questioning my statistical knowledge?

Yes the average in the way that you and ISPs are trying to use doesn't exist. You cant predict the future off a simple average.
Yes I am clearly questioning your statistical knowledge as you dont seem to understand this.
A customer's usage is not "in control".
said by openbox9:

said by Oh_No:

That is simply not feasible.

Yes it is.
said by openbox9:

said by Oh_No:

Comcast 100 Gbps for 17.55M?? LOL, you are damn funny.
Yes I am ready for them to build a network that can handle the subscriptions.
FYI, caps and usage billing do nothing to prevent congestion at peak times.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
100 Gbps assumption is for Comcast's backbone, therefore the 17.55M subscribers across its customer base is applicable.
openbox9

openbox9 to Oh_No

Premium Member

to Oh_No
said by Oh_No:

Yes the average in the way that you and ISPs are trying to use doesn't exist. You cant predict the future off a simple average.
Yes I am clearly questioning your statistical knowledge as you dont seem to understand this.

I don't know how much sillier this conversation can get.
said by Oh_No:

Do the math, it's not very funny.
said by Oh_No:

Consumers aren't willing/able to pay that bill.
said by Oh_No:

Never suggested that they do.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
Chicago, IL

Oh_No

said by openbox9:

said by Oh_No:

I don't know how much sillier this conversation can get.

Well if you keep making stupid statements it will keep getting worse.
Really you need to do some statistics reading and learn what "in control" means before you say there is a real average that can be used for any reasonable prediction.
said by openbox9:

said by Oh_No:

Do the math, it's not very funny.
said by Oh_No:

Consumers aren't willing/able to pay that bill.

People have been paying for that from about 1995 to about 2011 and ISPs were very, very profitable. It is nothing new to have an unlimited connection and a network that can handle the users at peak times.
said by openbox9:

[

said by Oh_No:

Never suggested that they do.

Then why are you defending caps????
openbox9
Premium Member

1 edit

openbox9

Premium Member

said by Oh_No:

Well if you keep making stupid statements it will keep getting worse.
Really you need to do some statistics reading and learn what "in control" means before you say there is a real average that can be used for any reasonable prediction.

There's obviously a communications breakdown between the two of us. First, average is average. It's not difficult to calculate. Second, I did not suggest any predictable utility with a simple average.
said by Oh_No:

People have been paying for that from about 1995 to about 2011

No they have not. Everything is oversold, has been from the beginning, and will continue to be. Your issue now appears to be with capping, which is not how I read your previous posts.
said by Oh_No:

Then why are you defending caps????

When did I defend caps in response to managing congestion?

powerob
@comcast.net

powerob

Anon

While it is true that all networks are oversold (and always will be), it's not as bad as you think it is.

100Gbps is not a lot of aggregate backbone capacity anymore. It's not atypical for even a mid-sized hosting provider (e.g. FDC Servers) to purchase multiple 10Gbps links. While there are a lot of ways to measure aggregate bandwidth in a complex routed network, it's fair to say that Comcast's customers can pull well more than 100Gbps total from the network, especially if you include CDNs that peer directly with Comcast.

You are right in that Oh_No is completely unrealistic in believing that a consumer-level broadband network could be provided without any over-subscription. If we assume that the average provisioned bandwidth is 15Mbps, then Comcast would need over 250 Tbps of aggregate bandwidth, which is well beyond the capabilities of even the largest broadband providers today.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by powerob :

it's fair to say that Comcast's customers can pull well more than 100Gbps total from the network, especially if you include CDNs that peer directly with Comcast.

I don't know Comcast's bandwidth capacity or peering arrangements, nor do I really care. It was a purely hypothetical suggestion to make a point with Oh_No See Profile...that I apparently failed with. Thank you for adding a little sensibility to the discussion.
« "Steep Overages"?Fuck »
This is a sub-selection from Typical