Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to ArrayList

Re: Could be worse.

They're amortizing last-mile plant upgrade costs, backbone upgrade costs, etc. into a single number. Many data centers have overages of 10 cents per GB...and they don't have a last mile coax plant o keep up. Honestly, 20¢ per GB is entirely reasonable.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast

plant upgrade costs, backbone upgrade costs, etc do no have anything to do with how much usage goes through them. you can pay for all of that with the monthly fees. If they really want to make this reasonable they will stop jacking the monthly access fees up every 6 months. Heck, maybe even lower it every so often.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

Really? So a link being at 90% capacity has nothing to do with how much usage goes through it...

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast

said by iansltx:

Really? So a link being at 90% capacity has nothing to do with how much usage goes through it...

don't think I said that.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

So, because upgrades are a step function you can't smooth out the steps and charge people for their contribution to the need to upgrade? Because while one user at 300GB isn't a big deal on a DOCSIS 3 system, one hundred users at 300GB, plus other people on the node, would probably merit turning on some more DOCSIS QAMs, making a node split, or increasing backhaul...

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

They're amortizing last-mile plant upgrade costs, backbone upgrade costs, etc. into a single number. Many data centers have overages of 10 cents per GB...and they don't have a last mile coax plant o keep up. Honestly, 20¢ per GB is entirely reasonable.

I have an unlimited seed box for 18 bucks a month. ( just changed providers )

I transferred about 20 TB's last month. My connection does fluctuate, which I guess you could consider a throttle, although its more a matter of running out of capacity I think. Besides even when my connection slows down, its still faster than my old provider.

Way too much competition to go with a data center that has overages.

iansltx

Austin, TX

Very few people use OVH for anything other than seedboxes from what I've seen. It's also not in the US. Also, as you said, they'll run out of peak capacity at times.