spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Ferrite vs Neodymium

Witch of the 2 Ferrite & Neodymium magnets give off better dynamic stereo and deep bass in headphones?

I've got the Sony MDR-V150 Studio Monitor Series Headphones »store.sony.com/webapp/wc ··· =MDRV150 has Ferrite magnet.
I've got the Sony MDR-ZX100 ZX Series Stereo Headphones »store.sony.com/webapp/wc ··· X100/BLK has Neo magnets.
I've got the Sony MDR-RF925RK 900MHz RF Wireless Headphones »store.sony.com/webapp/wc ··· ications has Ferrite magnet.

All 3 Sony headphones sound great. Witch one is really better at reproducing dynamic stereo and deep bass than the other?

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

1 recommendation

JimE

Premium Member

Audio is subjective. And technical jargon aside, you have a pair of each and can answer the question as well as any answer you will read here.

The bottom line in almost any comparison, unless you are a spec or benchmark kiddie, is to test and see what works best for you (or in this case, sounds best to you).

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to floydb1982

Anon

to floydb1982
Neodymium has a higher flux density per unit of weight than ferrite, which is a matter of weight and design. Neodymium headphones might offer the possibility of more efficiency and lighter weight.

I'm more accustomed to somarium cobalt magnets for higher end headphones.

Neodymium is more practical for 'super woofers' where the flux of 80lbs of ferrite needs to be in a 25lb magnet system. For that, it's definately advantagious. For headphones, the differences are likely too small to notice.