spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

erikthebean

join:2007-06-25
Manchester, NH

[Need Info] Any IPTV Providers that can replace Cable?

So I have Comcast, the price went up again. And where I live I am not allowed to have a Dish of any kind. Are their any IPTV providers that offer a Cable Tv Replacement? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
1) OTA TV for broadcast and PBS.
2) Roku for a variety of channels/material
3) Hulu Plus for popular series replays
4) PlayonTV software for some additional streaming

Automate

join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA
reply to erikthebean
Content over live IPTV channels in the US are very limited. You really need to start with what are your must have channels and/or shows.

stalbanswva31

join:2003-03-24
Philadelphia, PA
reply to erikthebean
Getting programming, if available, by Internet may bump you against usage limits.
OTA/antenna/aerial/Comcast Limited Basic service for new HD and SD programming.
Add an SD or HD DVR (Magnavox DVR w/digital tuner or Tivo) to time shift or capture additional programming.
IPTV via any number of possibilities. Is, or can you connect your computer to your TV? If not Tivo or Roku or any number of other devices may meet your needs.

If you cancel Comcast cable programming, you may have to pay more for Internet.
Your best choice might be to keep minimum cable and use the Internet to replace any programming you give up.

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
reply to erikthebean
Simple answer is no, but you can try and get AT&T u-verse if it's in your area.

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1
reply to erikthebean
(assuming you live in the US) With the passing of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, you cannot be barred from installing a dish.

»www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=···NzI_n9Mw

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
Reviews:
·Revol Wireless
·Optimum Online
said by cablegeek01:

(assuming you live in the US) With the passing of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, you cannot be barred from installing a dish.

»www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=···NzI_n9Mw

well in indy and the complexe I live now you cant, if you install it without permission from the property manager you can be evicted. Ive got the paper work right here for it. total crap too

cablegeek01

USA
Then they're in violation of federal law. There are certain stipulations, but they can't outright ban them. Do they have their restrictions online?

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
Reviews:
·Revol Wireless
·Optimum Online
said by cablegeek01:

Then they're in violation of federal law. There are certain stipulations, but they can't outright ban them. Do they have their restrictions online?

No this backward place does not have a site for the property, they did before it was sold, but the new owners have changed so much and have caused so many problems, hell the dish is not even the real issue here, it's the fucking stove dumping black smoke out of it every time it's used and we're told to just clean it, Ive power washed the fucker let me put it that way, it was cleaner then when it was new, but it instantly dumped black smoke when used afterwords, ffs I am ranting but carbon blackend food taste like shit lol.

IM10s

join:2004-07-04
Holland, MI
reply to IanR
so is Roku is good option? I still have a SD TV and only need the basics - is there a lower cost option like a cheap Bluray wireless player?

IM10s

join:2004-07-04
Holland, MI
So I bought a Sony Streaming Video player and it FAILED with my 1.5M DSL. Is that too much to expect? It would not even connect to the Hulu and Crackel server at times. Does this have to connect through the Sony server is that why it is so much slower? I don't think it is my ISP if I can view Hulu just fine through my PC connection, right? I took it back and am still researching options - any constructive help or comments are appreciated.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to cablegeek01
Not's NOT a federal law; but a RULE from the FCC which can not really be enforced. if it could be more and more people would have dish/direcTV. Plus you are NOT allowed to mount the dish on the building and has to be in your "rented space" if not you're screwed then as well as they can claim the spot in front of your window is NOT your rented space.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to cablegeek01
The FCC doe NOT make Law. They make rules. and anything on private property can not really be enforced.

cablegeek01

USA
If you want to argue over semantics, they make regulations. But they're enforceable on a federal level.
»www.sbca.com/access-tv/otard-access.htm

Cyberdave
Premium
join:2012-03-19
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to IM10s
said by IM10s:

so is Roku is good option? I still have a SD TV and only need the basics - is there a lower cost option like a cheap Bluray wireless player?

I am in this same situation now and have researched a lot and bought two Roku LT players since I (still) have two SDtv's. I have installed and used one of the Roku players and it works great on a wireless connection upstairs to my router downstairs (wireless N) and now with a basic 3mbps cable connection (which speedtests at 1.5 to 2mbps). I have not tried any pay channels like Netflix but the free stuff works well.

You can get a Blu-ray player (and costs more than the Roku LT) which has access to some pay internet channels but I have not found one which is dedicated to IPTV the way Roku is and which has access to a lot of content. IPTV is not a mature technology or industry yet so the best option in the end is to hookup a laptop or PC to your TV.

johan_hammy

join:2003-08-08
Dekalb, IL
reply to erikthebean
»www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-rece···ces-rule

If you have a clear view of the southern sky... go ahead.

Mellow
Premium
join:2001-11-16
Salisbury, MD
reply to erikthebean
I have a Sony Google Tv Blu-ray player and use it to stream Hulu and Netflix, wished I had a chance to root it before it installed the update that disabled the rooting ability, but using PlayOn gives me the ability to stream most services to any device I have.

I have a Verizon 3mbit dsl line and everything SD works fine, HD streams will buffer.