how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

inGearX
3.1415 9265

join:2000-06-11
New York

Smoke and Carbon monoxide alarm - goes up or down?

so a landlord gave everyone Smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarm - I guess there must be some law in state of NYC or so...

does it go up or down?

as I heard conflicting info that carbon monoxide goes down...

smoke goes up...

hmmmmm

thank you...

Savant
Premium
join:2001-08-12
Toronto

1 edit

Carbon Monoxide has roughly the same weight as air, so it doesn't go up or down, it disperses pretty evenly. That's part of what makes it so deadly. (To be technical CO weighs *slighly* less than air, but the difference is very small.)

It should be noted that warm gas does tend to rise, which is why placement location for many CO detectors is 'head height', or at the level of where a person's head would be.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to inGearX

Following the manufacturers instructions for placement is the best bet.
--
I just might be the most "licensed" S.O.B. you know.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to inGearX

As said for a combined unit follow the manufacturers recommendation. Hopefully, they have tested to meet both requirements.

Spensergig
Past my Prime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

1 recommendation

reply to inGearX

If that's a law, I hope you are also providing one to your tenants.

Savant
Premium
join:2001-08-12
Toronto
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Following the manufacturers instructions for placement is the best bet.

Yeah, that almost goes without saying. Far too often if I replace detectors I find mistakes that were made when originally installed, like not installed as per instructions (distance from walls, distance from ceiling etc) to even such simple things as using rechargeable batteries in a detector. (which is a big no-no)
--

Attack the words, not the writer...

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:5

usually chest/eye level close to the bedrooms, on the 2nd floor if thats where the bedrooms are.

cheap co detectors arent worth it and can be more of a nuisance due to false alarms. which start the 'cry wolf' thing going.

I use a night hawk detector, nothin else.

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
reply to inGearX

Hmmmm.... this made me think, I should probably replace that 14 year old CO detector we have!

Tappedout

@rr.com
reply to tp0d

Early generation home CO detectors had a cartridge in them that didn't know the difference between 5 ppm for 20 days, 10 ppm for 10 days, and 100 ppm at one time(just examples using nice round numbers), LOTS of false alarms and calls to the NG company or Fire Department.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to inGearX

Wow and I just have combo detectors mounted where smoke detectors would usually be - on ceilings at least 4" from walls, 3' away from air disturbances such as ceiling fans and HVAC ducts, and 1 per floor by the stairway and 1 per bedroom.

There are 8 detectors in my house. All linked together. If one goes off it's a chorus of annoyance.