Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to VR38DETT

Premium Member

to VR38DETT

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.0.1.152

said by VR38DETT:

Okay I am confused... if I use mainly use Firefox IE9 (32-bit) on a Windows 7 64-bit system, do I go still go for the 64-bit builds?

The build version is driven by the OS selection. You pick the 64 bit selection drop down and then you are offered two 64 bit downloads; one for IE, the other for all other browsers.

You'll need to pick the Win 64 bit option and then the 64 bit Adobe selection for Active X.

»get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
I didn't describe it very well. No wonder you are confused. After agreement to the terms of the license (checking the box to indicate agreement) Flash Players installs and immediately upon finishing it shows this warning about Real Player 11. It is more specific than what I remembered. It says you need to uninstall the "Real Player browser download feature". I obviously have not had Real Player for several years as I didn't know it has a browser much less a "browser download feature". What the heck is that? You are not supposed to download anything with the Real Player browser if you have Flash Player 11 as this causes system conflicts? How does it cause "system conflicts"? To me that is an esoteric, confusing message.

Plus, why is this message AFTER the installation is complete? Shouldn't the message be BEFORE you install Flash Player? What if you would want to not upgrade Flash Player and instead keep this Real Player browser download feature? Sort of cheeky for Adobe to assume you will docilely uninstall this Real Player feature.

OK. I installed Real Player 11 on a virtual machine running XP Pro. I see why Adobe doesn't want folks using Real Player. I went to several sites that have videos on both Fx 3 (maybe it is too old for this version of Real Player) and IE8 and I didn't get any little indicators that I could download the video to Real Player. I think Real Player probably doesn't like Proxomitron. Plus, I think I recall Real Player likes IE not Fx (although a bunch of Real Player plugins are installed on Fx now).

Anyhow, I then installed the latest Flash Player on Fx and IE. I did NOT get that message about Real Player conflict for either installation! I don't know what to think now!! I get this warning on my host machine when installing Flash on IE where I do NOT have Real Player. On my guest machine where I have just installed Real Player 11, I do NOT get the warning when installing Flash Player on IE or Fx. That's crazy!

gugarci
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci to grumpi

Premium Member

to grumpi
I never got that now or seen anything like this in the past. I've seen the bundle McAfee scan but never with Real Player.

What I've always done in the past after checking here to see if I had the latest player,
»www.adobe.com/software/f ··· h/about/
I used to them go directly to the Flash Player home page and click on the link there. But now with this latest version they have hidden or removed the link it from the Flash Player home page.

I now download all my Flash Player updates from the Adobe link that somebody else posted on this site to download a different version.
»get.adobe.com/flashplaye ··· ersions/

But like I said I've never seen that bundle ever. McAfee, Google Toolbar yes, Real Player no.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20

Premium Member

There is no "bundle" with Real Player. I got a warning when installing Flash Player 11 on IE on my XP Pro host machine. The warning was about incompatibility with Real Player and said I needed to uninstall the browser download feature in Real Player.

I thought that was a weird warning because I don't have Real Player on this XP Pro host computer (although I have some remnants of Real Player from years ago that didn't uninstall when I uninstalled Real Player).

So, I deliberately installed Real Player 11 on a virtual machine that also runs XP Pro. I saw what the "browser download button" does and I can see why Adobe would not want folks using this rival to Flash Player. I deliberately enabled the browser download function in Real Player (although it doesn't seem to work on Fx 3 or IE 8).

Then I downloaded and installed Flash Player 11 on both IE 8 and Fx 3. I was NOT warned about Real Player even though I had installed it on this guest XP Pro machine.

So, there is no bundle of Flash Player with Real Player. What is odd is that I got the warning (that I show in my first screen shot) on my host machine that does NOT have Real Player installed. The warning was weird, so I deliberately installed Real Player on a virtual machine. I wanted to see what was in Real Player 11 that Adobe was warning against (this is shown in my second screen shot). I also was curious to see if I got the Adobe warning when installing Flash Player on an OS that has Real Player 11 installed. I did not get the warning when I later installed Flash Player 11 which makes this all quite puzzling. This is all I am saying.

My gut guess here is that the warning I got has something to do with IE6. I have never upgraded IE on my host XP computer as I use IE only for speed tests that require Flash Player and/or Java (I don't have any plugins on Fx on my host XP computer...I use a virtual machine when I need plugins on Fx like Flash and Java- I'm not big on Youtube so I don't need the plugins that often and I am immune to the current nasty security vulnerability regarding SSL3-TLS1 partly because I have no plugins on Fx on the host machine). I suspect that warning is there as an error because IE6 is so old and if I had IE 7 or 8 the warning would not be there.
erpster797
join:2008-10-26
Los Angeles, CA

erpster797 to antdude

to antdude
said by antdude:

I see that too. I assume you also installed over v10. I am going to assume that's normal?

which is a bad idea, IMHO to install Flash v11 over v10.
I'd rather uninstall flash player 10 completely and then install flash player 11 on any 32bit or 64bit versions of windows.

there were no official flash v10 downloads for x64 editions for windows/mac. only a few alpha/beta x64 downloads for flash v10 more than a year ago.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by erpster797:

said by antdude:

I see that too. I assume you also installed over v10. I am going to assume that's normal?

I'd rather uninstall flash player 10 completely and then install flash player 11 on any 32bit or 64bit versions of windows.

there were no official flash v10 downloads for x64 editions for windows/mac. only a few alpha/beta x64 downloads for flash v10 more than a year ago.

Doesn't v11 automatically uninstall old stuff?

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

1 recommendation

MarkAW

Premium Member

said by antdude:

said by erpster797:

said by antdude:

Doesn't v11 automatically uninstall old stuff?

It did for me.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

1 recommendation

antdude

Premium Member

said by MarkAW:

It did for me.

Yeah, I think the same for me too.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

3 edits

1 recommendation

Dustyn to VR38DETT

Premium Member

to VR38DETT
said by VR38DETT:

Okay I am confused... if I use mainly use Firefox IE9 (32-bit) on a Windows 7 64-bit system, do I go still go for the 64-bit builds?

I think people are getting very confused here. Forget for one second that you have Windows 64-bit... this is irrelevant.
If you are only going to be using a 32-bit browser; NO. You just want to obtain the 32-bit active x download for 32-bit IE9. Or the 32-bit plug-in for 32-bit Firefox. People will download the 64-bit version (as it also contains the 32-bit version of Flash) so that it works with both 32-bit and 64-bit browsers. If you don't use a 64-bit browser... forget 64-bit Flash. It's only useful if you are using IE9 64-bit/Pale Moon 64-bit...ect.

Trel
Good Evening
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
USA

Trel to therube

Premium Member

to therube
Does the 64 bit one work in 32 bit browsers or do I need the 32 bit plugin?

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

1 edit

antdude to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

said by VR38DETT:

I think people are getting very confused here. Forget for one second that you have Windows 64-bit... this is irrelevant.
If you are only going to be using a 32-bit browser; NO. You just want to obtain the 32-bit active x download for 32-bit IE9. Or the 32-bit plug-in for 32-bit Firefox. People will download the 64-bit version (as it also contains the 32-bit version of Flash) so that it works with both 32-bit and 64-bit browsers. If you don't use a 64-bit browser... forget 64-bit Flash. It's only useful if you are using IE9 64-bit/Pale Moon 64-bit...ect.

64-bit installers will install both 32-bit and 64-bit according to Adobe forum. And I confirmed this by running 64-bit installers first.
AnonShawUser
join:2006-06-17
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

AnonShawUser to Trel

to Trel
said by Trel:

Does the 64 bit one work in 32 bit browsers or do I need the 32 bit plugin?

Installing 64-bit will ALSO install the 32-bit version.

FARZAN
@84.47.229.x

FARZAN to MarkAW

Anon

to MarkAW
said by MarkAW:

Thanks grumpi See Profile got it.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Adobe Flash Player 11 in Linux crashes?

Is anyone else having crashes with Flash v11 plugin not working in SeaMonkey v2.0.14 and Iceweasel/Firefox v7.0.1 in Linux/Debian? Iceweasel/Firefox says the plugin is crashing, but not the browser. In SeaMonkey, it crashes with it and I have to kill its processes. I had to downgrade back to old Flash v10. No problems with it. It seems like v11 is buggy for me.

Thank you in advance.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

No problems in SeaMonkey 2.4 (or later).
(Not running 2.0 enough to be able so say.)
Are you reporting the crashes to Mozilla?
What are some of the associated crash report numbers (from about:crashes)?

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by therube:

It also crashes in IceWeasel (Debian's Firefox v7.0.1). I will have to get it later unless there's a way to get them through command line (SSH2) remotely?
antdude

antdude

Premium Member

said by antdude:

said by therube:

It also crashes in IceWeasel (Debian's Firefox v7.0.1). I will have to get it later unless there's a way to get them through command line (SSH2) remotely?

It's a bug in the latest NVIDIA Linux driver: »www.nvnews.net/vbulletin ··· t=167698 ...