how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wHerndon

@208.32.x.x

Crosstalk on phone line?

I have two phone lines in my home.
Several month ago i signed up for fast access.
The service works great and I have had no problems with the connection or the speed.
My only problem is that now i get crosstalk on my phone line.
If i am using one phone line and someone in the house uses the other we can hear each other's conversation. At a much reduced volume.
This didn't occur prior to the fast access service.

Lateisha

join:2001-07-16
Dallas, GA

wHerndon,

You may want to try calling 611 and report this issue in order to get someone to resolve the problem.

Lateisha
BSIS
TSG
[text was edited by author 2002-03-01 14:59:56]

wHerndon

@bellsouth.net
reply to wHerndon
Thanks.
I may just do that.

Splitpair
Premium
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne
kudos:3
reply to wHerndon
said by wHerndon:
My only problem is that now i get crosstalk on my phone line.
If i am using one phone line and someone in the house uses the other we can hear each other's conversation. At a much reduced volume.
This didn't occur prior to the fast access service.
Right off the top of my head I cannot think of any reason that having ADSL installed would give you a crosstalk problem. One thing to try is if you have any two line sets disconnect them and see if the trouble clears. If not then I would recommend following Lateisha's and contact repair.

Splitpair
--
An analog guy trapped in a digital world helping people communicate.

MrFixitCT
pay it forward
Premium,VIP,ExMod 2001-06
join:2000-12-01
Charleston, SC
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
·Home Telephone
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to wHerndon
Another thought, though a long shot but certainly wouldn't hurt, is to run a separate direct feed for the dsl...
--
The opinions/advice expressed here are strictly my own and in no way imply any corporate liability. CYA

Splitpair
Premium
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne
kudos:3
said by MrFixitCT:
Another thought, though a long shot but certainly wouldn't hurt, is to run a separate direct feed for the dsl...

Yea not a bad idea........

Splitpair
--
An analog guy trapped in a digital world helping people communicate.

dandeman
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-05
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to wHerndon
Is there a two line phone installed? Is this ocurring on a phone powered by a AC power brick? If so are the filters installed to prevent the ADSL signal getting into it? If you have a POTs (plain ordinary telephone), preferably one of the older Bell system designed phones, does not happen on it?

Audio circuits start doing strange things, when stray RF is present.. I have a test set to bring up and test commercial VHF/UHF 100 watt transceivers that I convert for use in amateur radio repeater systems. In the test set is a trace amplifier used to check audio at different points in the system and on the same printed circuit board, there is a 1kz audio oscillator that normally I can hear only very faintly crosstalking into the trace amp. But if I key a hand held radio even at low RF power in close proximity to the test set, the stray RF causes the 1000hz oscillator to crosstalk into the trace amp at significantly higher volume levels...

So might this same thing happen from the RF energy (in the 1Mhz range) from an ADSL signal? especially if one of the phones (i.e. cheap) maybe not be too good in preserving longitudinal balance or have a bit of non linear distortion in it?

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

reply to Lateisha
said by Lateisha:
wHerndon,

You may want to try calling 611 and report this issue in order to get someone to resolve the problem.

Keep in mind though that if determined to be YOUR problem you are likely to be hit with an ~$45 service charge JUST to say so.

So I would check out everything (like connecting right to the NID and removing all devices from BOTH lines and reconnecting 1 by one.

Personal experience... I had a floating/semi crossed conductor on an unused extension run that had been just clipped and was shorted JUST enough to cause cross talk (when I had two lines) but not enough to otherwise disrupt things. (No DSL then)

PS Again personal opinion.... check the wiring stuff... cross talk is much more likely to be an analog/physical kind of thing than something just connecting with DSL might cause... though there are few absolutes in the world.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

[text was edited by author 2002-03-02 01:12:03]

crirvine

join:2001-04-19
Union City, TN
reply to wHerndon
I ran into this problem onetime and found that the place was wired from jack to jack with cheap wire replaced all wire with cat 3 wire and run each jack back to the nid with no splices and the problem went away. Just a thought that might help.

wHerndon

@bellsouth.net
reply to wHerndon
Thanks for everyone's input.
You have given me several things to checkout.